Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the Voltage Regulator highlighted in the image shows signs of having melted. Anyone know what this VR controls? It's an Asus P6X58D-E.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
What does this Voltage Regulator do? - it regulates voltage, therefore it must control x y amounts for certain purpose and i guess you mean as in what part of the motherboard that chip relates to
biggrin.gif

' Some processors, such as Intel's Haswell, feature voltage regulation components on the same package as the CPU, '

linked to the cpu if this info is right

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd found that Wiki entry but it doesn't help me decide whether the motherboard is safe to use. I thought the VRs for the CPU were those above and to the left of the CPU socket. This seems to be just an isolated VR near the Fan connectors so I was sort of hoping someone would know if they were related to them rather than the CPU or RAM.

At the moment there's a cheap Xeon E5504 in it but if this VR affects vcore I don't want to put a 990X in and destroy it.

I've run Prime95 with the Xeon both at stock and overclocked and the vcore seems to be stable.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
They make the voltage more consistent.

Due to imperfect AC-DC conversion by PSU, line noise, thermal changes, load changes.... voltage can fluctuate. However, processors need a very steady voltage since this is what they operate against. i.e. If a stray +.5v voltage occurred, it might change a 0 value to 1 value inside the CPU.

That is probably a DRAM VM. Check the Asus's site for compatibility...

·
Iconoclast
30,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

That is probably a DRAM VM. Check the Asus's site for compatibility...
I'm betting it's attached to the fan headers.

The DRAM VRM is the three phase solution just below the DIMMs on that board.

• Rep+
Reactions: Big Elf

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that. I'll look for another motherboard rather than risk it.

Edit: Posted before I'd read Blameless's reply.

Now dithering.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

I'm betting it's attached to the fan headers.

The DRAM VRM is the three phase solution just below the DIMMs on that board.
Good call.... it is too small for the DRAM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts