Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
ObiwanShinobi
211 Posts
honestly I'm curious, because I game at high DPI with a small aluminum coated mousepad, but I see many pro players using some 400dpi dell mouse often.

So I'm here to ask: What DPI do you guys game at?

I usually game at 4800 DPI with my gskill ripsaw mouse. previously it was 3200 on my G502 mouse which I no longer have. my mousepad is better quality now, and I'm more comfortable with the bump up in dpi

Although I just doublechecked my mouse settings and it was actually at 8200 and I didn't even notice on desktop or gaming until I set it back to 4800. this actually kind of blew my mind.

Anyway, tell me your thoughts people. What DPI do you use and why?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
400 DPI and 2.2 in-game sens for CS:GO. I play any other game casually, or with a controller (like Dark Souls), so those don't matter. I like a low sensitivity for CS:GO because I've found it easier to aim with. When rapid mouse movement isn't required 9 out of 10 times, it's really helpful for being precise.

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,578 Posts
800 cpi with 1 sensitivity for Source games and 1.3 for idTech games. 4/11 windows sensitivity to make it tame for windows.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I've been sort of toying with my DPI recently on my Nixeus Revel. I do prefer using 800 DPI for my desktop casual use, but I find 1600 DPI (plus adjusting my sensitivity in-game) smoother to play with for aiming games. It's probably placebo, or my mouse's DPI gets higher the more its scaled up (like 400 DPI actually being ~409 DPI and getting higher as it goes), but either way, I think my cursor's movements look better on 1600 DPI. I'm aware that past a certain point, higher DPI doesn't make a visual difference depending on resolution, FOV, and in/360. (source: https://sensor.fyi/info/#resolution-cpi-dpi-ppi)

My sens in CS:GO right now is 1600 DPI, 0.4 in game.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
1440p, mouse sensitivity 6 so there's no/minimal acceleration and 3 stage DPI at 800, 1000 and 1200. I mostly use 1000 but it's nice to change on the fly. My in game sensitivity is between 25 and 50%.

Why low such low DPI? Well if you do precise aiming you'll see (especially at 1080p) that a higher DPI has much more jitter than low DPI and higher sensitivity.
BTW when comparing DPI the resolution used matters, 1000dpi is much faster on a 1080p screen than a 1440p screen because there are less pixels to travel across.

·
Registered
41 Posts
400 dpi mostly because I play around 50cm/360 in any shooter. 800+ can feel a little shaky and in some games I can't get the sens I want with higher dpi. If I played higher sens I would probably use 800.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
This is not very handy without in game sensitivity. I suggest valve games since everyone's got em and they all run the same sensitivity AFAIK.

2000 DPI, stock windows, no accel, 1.5 valve, g502.

·
Registered
755 Posts
800 DPI.

It's perfect for me on 1080p desktop so I don't have to switch DPI ever and it's something just about every mouse has as a preset.

Sensitivity in CSGO is 1, forget what it is in other games.

·
Aspiring Mouse Collector
1 Posts
I'm used to 400 dpi on my desktop, so that's what I use.
I mostly play Overwatch, so 400 dpi, 10.75 ingame. Angle skipping / pixel skipping doesn't bother me, so I stick to what I'm used to.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I used 800 DPI, but 800 DPI on a 2560x1440 screen isn't quite enough to guarantee pixel accuracy unless staying in a super low sensitivity, so I've bumped up to 1600 DPI now.

If there's one thing I can say from my performances in competitive multiplayer games since 2007; I've always done my best when I've secured that pixel perfect dpi.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I used 800 DPI, but 800 DPI on a 2560x1440 screen isn't quite enough to guarantee pixel accuracy unless staying in a super low sensitivity, so I've bumped up to 1600 DPI now.

If there's one thing I can say from my performances in competitive multiplayer games since 2007; I've always done my best when I've secured that pixel perfect dpi.
Mind elaborating? Pixel accuracy is a new term for me lol.

·
ObiwanShinobi
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
some interesting stuff here, guys!

kind of confirms it that i'm pretty rare at the high dpi I do game at. I couldn't immagine dragging my mouse 25cm+ to do a 360 lol. I game on 1440p @ 4800 dpi on the regular, and literally less than a couple inches does one for me, and somehow I can have pretty good accuracy. I'll admit sometimes this mouse will jitter a couple pixels, but I can't stand low sensitivity on mice anymore since my old G9x lol.

1440p, mouse sensitivity 6 so there's no/minimal acceleration and 3 stage DPI at 800, 1000 and 1200. I mostly use 1000 but it's nice to change on the fly. My in game sensitivity is between 25 and 50%.

Why low such low DPI? Well if you do precise aiming you'll see (especially at 1080p) that a higher DPI has much more jitter than low DPI and higher sensitivity.
BTW when comparing DPI the resolution used matters, 1000dpi is much faster on a 1080p screen than a 1440p screen because there are less pixels to travel across.
This is why I miss my old tactx mouse and I might buy one off ebay somehow lol. I wonder if we could add a list of these types of mice that never artifically do anything to the cursor to help out purists like my self who want no jitters?

only mouse I know of off the top of my head are OEM dell mice, and my old TactX I miss very dearly but Iv'e never done much research on it! willing to edit my main post and add this as a function to help out fellow OCN members :D

Keep up the awesome informative posts, this is actually pretty interesting

·
Iconoclast
30,437 Posts
Usually in the ~1600 dpi ballpark, as that's whats comfortable for me on a 1440p desktop.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Mind elaborating? Pixel accuracy is a new term for me lol.
There is a point where movement becomes bigger than a single pixel you see on the screen.

Think of it like this: if a head in the distance is the size of 2 pixels, and with too low DPI you move 4 pixels at a time, you're going to miss it.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
There is a point where movement becomes bigger than a single pixel you see on the screen.

Think of it like this: if a head in the distance is the size of 2 pixels, and with too low DPI you move 4 pixels at a time, you're going to miss it.
Hmmm, I'll try that. Thanks.

I ended up with a g.skill mouse because I got it on sale during black friday, this thread has reminded me how much I want a G502 to compare. =(
Nothing is ever good enough lol

·
Registered
502 Posts
Depends on the resolution.

On 1080p i run around 600 DPI, at 4k DSR around 1200. both with a 80% reduced sniper button. So down to around 120 at 1080p and 240 at 4k.

If the game has good sensetivity options ill run DPI much higher and reduce the ingame sensetivity.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts