Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax911 View Post

Wont 38mm height fans provide more air pressure and flow at same dB?
If not im assuming Noctua fans.
In general, yes, 38mm fans move more air at the same dB, or the same air at a lower dB. People often recommend the Gentle Typhoons, and they're great fans, but I have a hard time justifying their price in anything resembling a budget-oriented build. If you've got room for 38mm fans (and shrouds, they really do help with the dead spot on the larger hub fans), I'd consider something like Scythe's DFS123812L-2000, the 2000-rpm Ultra Kaze. They're not that much louder than the GT's, and move quite a bit more air, for under half the price.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakageta View Post

In general, yes, 38mm fans move more air at the same dB, or the same air at a lower dB. People often recommend the Gentle Typhoons, and they're great fans, but I have a hard time justifying their price in anything resembling a budget-oriented build. If you've got room for 38mm fans (and shrouds, they really do help with the dead spot on the larger hub fans), I'd consider something like Scythe's DFS123812L-2000, the 2000-rpm Ultra Kaze. They're not that much louder than the GT's, and move quite a bit more air, for under half the price.
Price is not an issue but as i can tell from Scythe's own website is that those 2 fans move about the same amount of air and the ultra kaze is sleeve bearing so it might not have the same durability like the gentle typhoon.

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
Quote:

Price is not an issue but as i can tell from Scythe's own website is that those 2 fans move about the same amount of air and the ultra kaze is sleeve bearing so it might not have the same durability like the gentle typhoon.
If price is no issue, go with the GT's, they're great fans.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyCent View Post

It all depends on 2 things:
- Horizontal or vertical rad?
- What rad? (to gauge fan speed needed)
horizontal or vertical rad? how its mounted? its mounted horizontally and the model is a EK

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
If you want fans that last, the likes of Panaflo http://www.coolerguys.com/840556001058.html and Delta brands with 'fluid dynamic' bearings are well worth the cost. I have some of each on air cooling systems and some have been running 24/7 for many years now. 2 date to the early AMD 939 era around 2004-5 and are still running fine. and they put out over 100CFM of air and are run through an Sunbeam controller. http://www.svc.com/pl-rs-6.html

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:

horizontal or vertical rad? how its mounted? its mounted horizontally and the model is a EK
All right. I was asking because fluid or ball bearings are usually prefered for horisontal applications. Rifle bearings and such are not necessarily intended for this, and they will either make noise or have shortened lifespan (or both). I don't speak from experience, it's simply what I've read a couple of times.

According to this test, I would not go for super low fan speeds with this rad, unless you are looking for super silence.

As said before, can't go wrong with GentleTyphoons. Otherwise, I would be tempted to try those : Arctic cooling f12, Thermalright X-silent or Gelid Silent. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with any of them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im trying to get some info on some fans that has pressure as specification since i want a fan with high pressure.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im down to a final decision between gentle typhoon or Noctua NF-S12B or NF-F12B.
But i cant find any decent reviews on the noctua's and seems some dont believe in their specs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts