Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the ideal FPS to aim for in games when tweaking settings to get the best quality and FPS. I always thought to aim for 60 but I see some people aiming higher. Is this just a personal preference or is there a universal golden FPS level everyone aims for.
 

·
semi-legit
Joined
·
7,980 Posts
So long as it can stay over 60 most of the time I'm good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by candy_van
View Post

So long as it can stay over 60 most of the time I'm good


Hmm I usually play in the 30s...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
60 is always nice. For me its kinda guaranteed smoothness, and any more is just additional headroom. I guess some people aim higher because they want moar! But anywhere between 45-60 and its all gravy.
 

·
semi-legit
Joined
·
7,980 Posts
It's not that 30fps isn't playable, but I notice when it dips under the 60s. I've become quite particular in fact about that.

Dips here are there are fine, but if I'm below 60fps to begin with I'll sacrifice some settings for frames.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,652 Posts
I don't really care about the average, I just don't want it to drop below 40 when I'm zooming in or there's an explosion a dozen yards away (if you're any more near the explosion it doesn't really matter if you've got 20 FPS anyway).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
But then again fps requirements are different in different situations. Take that most tv shows/movies are in either 29.9 fps or 24fps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'll try to tweak the settings to get 60 average and 40 lowest. I currently have everything maxed getting 30 average
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm I managed to get perfectly within my goal. 60 average and lowest I got with tons of flames and smoke was 45. All I did was lower the res to 13xx X 7xx.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,652 Posts
And to the OP, you should only try to make your framerate better if it stops you from playing well. Like certain explosive situations in FPSs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Djtomczak678
View Post

Hmm I managed to get perfectly within my goal. 60 average and lowest I got with tons of flames and smoke was 45. All I did was lower the res to 13xx X 7xx.

Yea, resolution makes a huge difference. I try to run all my stuff at the native resolution, but that is only because I tab between things so much. If dropping the resolution gave me huge increases in what I did I would most certainly do it. Glad it's working for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by thiru
View Post

And to the OP, you should only try to make your framerate better if it stops you from playing well. Like certain explosive situations in FPSs.

It did get quite laggy in Explosive situations, that's why I wanted to ask.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,652 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Djtomczak678 View Post
It did get quite laggy in Explosive situations, that's why I wanted to ask.
If it only lags when you're in the explosion, who cares, either you're about to die or you can't see anything anyway.
If an explosion behind an enemy 10 yards away makes your game stutter and you miss your shot, then lower the special effects until you're happy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
It depends on the game. Some games are more playable at lower FPS than other games.
Take Crysis for example. I can play that game at 30fps and it feels perfectly smooth. But, then a game such as Call of Duty and when the FPS drops below 60 not only do I notice it visually, but also there is a mouse lag which takes away from the gameplay.
 

·
semi-legit
Joined
·
7,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contagion View Post
It depends on the game. Some games are more playable at lower FPS than other games.
Take Crysis for example. I can play that game at 30fps and it feels perfectly smooth. But, then a game such as Call of Duty and when the FPS drops below 60 not only do I notice it visually, but also there is a mouse lag which takes away from the gameplay.
I believe that's referred to as the Crysis Slide Show Effect
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I thought I'd play around to see how high I can get the fps so I put minimum settings with 6xx x 4xx res. I get 90 average 60 minimum. I bump the res up to 1920 x 1080 and still get the same 90 average 60 minimum. Could my CPU or RAM be holding me back or is there a FPS lock on something?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top