Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to figure out what to do with my massive upload speed (in my area anyway), I like hosting so hosting a RTS game or something would be sweet.

The problem is I don't know what RTS game would actually require this much upload... and short of torrenting or file sharing (legal of course) I don't know how to even use 25% of it

Suggestions?. I believe Company of Heroes is the most bandwidth intensive RTS game out right now but I am not certain.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster
View Post

I don't understand why this is even a concern. High upload speed? Okay, good for you. It means you can upload attachments faster and upload content to your web hosting service faster. If you don't use it, it's not going to kill you.

I'll try dumbing it down for you then.

I want to use my upload speed.

Helping out in RTS games that require higher upload speed then average would make me happy. I get tired of hosts that lag out or take too long to download maps from (But this is from like 5 years ago when I played WC3..).

So, which RTS game that allows you to host a session/game/server/whatever, requires more upload then other RTS games?.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Just because you have that much upload doesn't mean you can use it 24/7. Upload costs ISPs alot of money, and if you upload more than you download, they will tend to flag your account and terminate your connection.

You might want to verify that your ISP allows hosting servers and has no caps on upload before going this route. The average residental ISP, such as Verizon, doesn't allow stuff like that unless you are paying extra for it... and it COST alot to be able to have unlimited upload bandwidth.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

Just because you have that much upload doesn't mean you can use it 24/7. Upload costs ISPs alot of money, and if you upload more than you download, they will tend to flag your account and terminate your connection.

You might want to verify that your ISP allows hosting servers and has no caps on upload before going this route.

No caps, no ports blocked.

Actually hosting servers is not allowed no, but RTS servers are not the same as file servers, HTTP servers, email servers. Stuff like that. And since the majority of people will host RTS servers I'm almost positive it falls under general gaming and is allowed. And if not I'll deal with that.

Thank you for your input though!.

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Are you trying to simply be a good Samaritan or something? Hosting servers on your residential Internet service is likely against your ISP's end-user agreement. Why do you have that itch? I really see this as an inquiry into something that is unnecessary. If you host, you're using up your ISP's network bandwidth. It means other people are suffering low upload speeds because of what you're doing.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster
View Post

If you host, you're using up your ISP's network bandwidth. It means other people are suffering low upload speeds because of what you're doing.

This is a joke right?. If a ISP such as verizon FIOS cannot supply one user with 25Mbps upload without affecting other clients then they shouldn't be offering 25Mbps upload in the first place.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by One_Winged_Angel
View Post

C&c3?

I'll look into it, thanks!.

I also thought maybe Supreme Commander 2 would require a lot more upload then average, but I'm not sure if you can host servers online or if they host them for you.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
modern warfare 2

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatKidNamedRocky
View Post

modern warfare 2

Maybe, but I have never been a fan of call of duty multiplayer. Love the SP though.

Love your avatar BTW.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunrex
View Post

This is a joke right?. If a ISP such as verizon FIOS cannot supply one user with 25Mbps upload without affecting other clients then they shouldn't be offering 25Mbps upload in the first place.

Thats how all residental ISPs work even ones that offer much less bandwidth.

It is in the user-end agreement of almost every ISP, and they have the right to terminate your internet if they feel you are hogging up to much bandwidth. They don't expect someone to use 100% of their bandwidth every second of every day. Only people hosting servers would need that, or someone seeding tons of torrents. Either way, they usually don't allow such things to happen on residental ISPs. If you went with a business ISP you'd be paying hundreds a month, and thats why they have unlimited bandwidth.

While the OP claims his ISP doesn't have such caps, i'm almost 99% sure they do, and after he has his server up and running for a few weeks I could see his ISP giving him a call or just flat out terminating his connection until he agrees to stop hosting. Depending on the ISP they might never offer him service again, but most ISPs have a three-strike rule. If you are uploading like 10GB a day, your ISP is going to flag you very quickly. At 25 MBPS upload, you'd be uploading 100GB+ a day. There's absolutely no way the ISP will let that happen, unless your monthly bill is $350-$550/month and your under the "business" subscription.

-

Short version:
If the ISP can't make money from you based on the bandwidth you are using and your monthly fee, they will terminate your subscription. It's business, it's all about money. They won't keep you if you are causing them money loss.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
Thats how all residental ISPs work even ones that offer much less bandwidth.

It is in the user-end agreement of almost every ISP, and they have the right to terminate your internet if they feel you are hogging up to much bandwidth. They don't expect someone to use 100% of their bandwidth every second of every day. Only people hosting servers would need that, or someone seeding tons of torrents. Either way, they usually don't allow such things to happen on residental ISPs. If you went with a business ISP you'd be paying hundreds a month, and thats why they have unlimited bandwidth.

While the OP claims his ISP doesn't have such caps, i'm almost 99% sure they do, and after he has his server up and running for a few weeks I could see his ISP giving him a call or just flat out terminating his connection until he agrees to stop hosting. Depending on the ISP they might never offer him service again, but most ISPs have a three-strike rule.

If you are uploading like 10GB a day, your ISP is going to flag you very quickly. At 25 MBPS upload, you'd be uploading 100GB+ a day. There's absolutely no way the ISP will let that happen, unless your monthly bill is $350-$550/month and your under the "business" subscription.
Last part - This is a joke right?. Because FIOS offers business class connections with a Static IP with my specifications at only around $130-$150 per month at my location.

And no, Verizon FIOS has no caps and they don't port block. My only "cap" is my 25Mbps limit.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/V...Throttle-97950

It is from 2008, but AFAIK stands true to date.

And this makes your entire argument over the ISP canceling me for heavy usage void:

Quote:
The company isn't capping heavy users or singling out any technology like P2P.

·
Premium Member
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunrex View Post
Last part - This is a joke right?. Because FIOS offers business class connections with a Static IP with my specifications at only around $130-$150 per month at my location.

And no, Verizon FIOS has no caps and they don't port block. My only "cap" is my 25Mbps limit.

And this makes your entire argument over the ISP canceling me for heavy usage void:
You need to get the business line instead of a residential one then. Murlocke is absolutely right, if you host a server enough for them to notice, they will take action.

There isn't a "cap", but it's against your residential agreement to host a server.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunrex View Post

The bigger the town, the cheaper the business lines will probably be. I'm in Iowa so our business lines are very expensive. If you are going the server route, even a game server, you should really consider going to the business line if it's only $150/month for 25/25 speeds.

I won't argue with you. Go ahead and host your server on a residental ISP connection, and upload around 3TB/month (100GB/day). I hope it works out for you. I just extemely doubt it.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Well I only get around 350kbps upload and I can host a 4v4 in COH or any other RTS lag free. So hosting an RTS wont do much do tickle your upload speed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts