Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
I used to Gunbound with dial up. Once you get in-game (shooting screen) you won't realize much differences from DSL or Cable, but you will at the loading screen where all the mobile is loading.

Gunz, you may lag due to high pings on Gunz with dial up. =/ Maybe not more than 2-3 players.

These are just my estimations. I used to play them.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I'd say..

mostly Real Time strategy Games.

They dont demand wonderfull ping ^_^

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just about any FPS will not run on dial up unless you only play single player. Gunz and Gunbound I have never heard of. Most of your online/multiplayer games reguire at least a DSL connection to keep pings somewhat low. On a MP server, your high ping affects all the other players as well. That is why most servers have a ping limit.

Just looked up Gunz and I dont believe it would play very well on dial up either.

Gunbound might play on dial-up as its a turn based game. You take your turn then your opponent takes his. Its not exactly a multiplayer FPS type game.

Hope this answered your questions.

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
I use to play Medal of Honor: Allied Assault with 32 slot server on dial-up and it ran pretty well without any noticeble lags

·
Banned
4,222 Posts
You have a $800 worth of Computer parts but you can't afford DSL? Ironic.
CS:S won't run at all on dial up. Maybe Halo but I'm tired of seeing Dial Up users with those that have 400 ping and lag up the rest of the server. Which is why I don't play Halo that much anymore.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:
You have a $800 worth of Computer parts but you can't afford DSL? Ironic
Maybe because of where he lives, dial-up is all he can get. I know of quite a few places within 30-45 minutes of me that cant get anything but dial-up.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory has some anti-lag tech, and lots of people still play it.
Trackmania Nations can be played over the net, but there's little synchronization needed. It's basically a bunch of people playing Time Attack at once, and you can restart whenever you want.

Both of the above are free.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pablo420 View Post
CS:S won't run at all on dial up. Maybe Halo but I'm tired of seeing Dial Up users with those that have 400 ping and lag up the rest of the server. Which is why I don't play Halo that much anymore.
try more like $1500 ,and where i live right now forbids a cable connection and i ordered dsl like 3 times from 3 different companies and all say they cant do it just look at my sig man
i will move to a new aptarment in a week or so but am so bored

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katana View Post
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory has some anti-lag tech, and lots of people still play it.
Trackmania Nations can be played over the net, but there's little synchronization needed. It's basically a bunch of people playing Time Attack at once, and you can restart whenever you want.

Both of the above are free.
and both of the above are like 100Mb+ which will take like 8 days to dl NO THX but thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I used to play Halo online with my 26K connection. It was playable up to around 6 or so people in the server, then it would start to lag horribly. Now we have satellite though, and I can't even play a 1v1 match without lagging.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pablo420 View Post
Yes it will. I limited my steam bandwidth by accident... I played on a 32 player server (okay, that wasn't playable) but playing with 2-4 ppl was okay.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Too lazy to quote, but if you think anyone with some money can have DSL or cable internet then you're just ignorant. In my case, the closest cable internet/TV service is available 0.7 miles to the east of me and 1 mile to the west of me (distances quoted from our closest cable provider), but the estate I'm on isnt in range of a cable hookup. If you could see where I live you'd be pretty suprised by this.
An $800 computer doesnt equate to a high-speed connection, unless you're willing to shell out $33,000 to the cable company so they'll reach out your way (yes, they quoted to us that it would cost $33,000 to hook up 1 mile of cable service).

Mechwarrior 4 is very playable on dialup (400 ping) and is probably the closest you'll ever come to a fun FPS experience on 56k. I played it competitively for 2 years on a 56k connection, often while using Teamspeak in a 16-player server (huzzah for 56k!). However it all depends on your connection. AOL, for example, spells DEATH on dial-up. My friend tried Mechwarrior on AOL and had consistent 700-900 pings, but I used AT&T and got by okay. Also, Mechs move kinda slowly so ping isn't has unforgiving as in a game where you're controlling a running human.

Tips: when playing online on 56k turn off everything you don't need running in the background, like AIM/MSN messenger, automatic updates (on any program), etc. Some dial-up providers also provide a free Internet Accelerator program which may or may not help in gaming lag.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts