Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Returning to this forum for the first time in 5+ years to get your recommendation. Fall of 2008 I built my rig, and I honestly have not updated any of the specs ever since. For several years I didn't need to, because it was more than capable of running everything at the time. Then I kind of slipped out of PC gaming for a while, but now I'm getting back in, and want to know if a GPU update will bring my computer up to snuff, or if I should just build a new rig. I guess my actual question is what is the best GPU that my specs can handle without bottlenecking the GPU too bad? Any help is much appreciated. My specs are below.

Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 OC'd to 3.8GHz
RAM: Corsair Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition
PSU: Corsair HX1000W

Thanks,
Solertia
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I believe it will be another 2 or 3 years before you will be seeing any actual "bottleneck" from a GPU by your CPU. Go with whatever puts out the best numbers in games you play, that you can afford.

Adding on to what the other guy said, GTX 970s can be had for pretty cheap right now, and they will probably be the best bang for your buck until the 1070 is fully released.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys! Just wanted to be sure before I started shopping around.
 

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,664 Posts
You should be good with any GPU. Might want to look into increasing your system ram also.
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
46,942 Posts
RX 480
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

RX 480
Yeah, if I was out of gaming for a long time, I probably wouldn't jump on the $600-$700 graphics card. RX 480 may pan out to be a good mid-option.

Also I'd work on the RAM and get an SSD first!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash4fun View Post

Yeah, if I was out of gaming for a long time, I probably wouldn't jump on the $600-$700 graphics card. RX 480 may pan out to be a good mid-option.

Also I'd work on the RAM and get an SSD first!
AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) today unveiled the company's strategy for its upcoming Polaris architecture-based Radeon™ RX Series graphics cards, introducing impressive levels of VR performance and future-proof technologies1 at a variety of price points. The Radeon RX 480 delivers premium VR capability at a stunning price of starting at just $199 for the 4GB edition.
Set for launch and availability on June 29th, the Radeon™ RX 480 will deliver the world's most affordable solution for premium PC VR experiences, delivering VR capability common in $500 cards.

So read your post wrong LOLOL
Not to mention the 970 is nvidias lowest VR capable card. My point is the 480 looks to pound the 970. And at a better price for a new card
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solertia View Post

Thanks, guys! Just wanted to be sure before I started shopping around.
I have a nehalem clocked at 4.2 ghz ( could go higher ) and I just grabbed a geforce 1080 FTW from EVGA
biggrin.gif
You should be fine with any card you decide on for your budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legonut View Post

I think you can handle a GTX 1080 just fine. While your 920's single core isnt that great, with 8 threads it will actually improve with newer games (hopefully). If you're worried about it, I advise picking up a used GTX 970 or waiting for the AMD 480 / GTX 1060.
Single Core?

the i7-920 is a Quad core CPU
I still have one of those, with the same motherboard as the OP.

@Solertia
the motherboard is PCIe2.0 so it can run the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 just fine.

of course, if your motherboard were PCIe3.0 then it can use the full power of the new cards

BTW, I had the GTX 285 on that build, very similar to yours
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legonut View Post

Yep should have said single thread.
single thread is good enough for games.

not many games actually make use of multi-threaded processing.

most games are still graphic intensive more than CPU

that's why now in days a GPU cost more than a CPU or in cases more than the full PC,
most computational processing are done via the GPU like physics and stuff
tongue.gif


the CPU is becoming more and more like the old days Co-Procesoor in a 286 + 287 or a 386 + 387 coprocessor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solertia View Post

Hello all,

Returning to this forum for the first time in 5+ years to get your recommendation. Fall of 2008 I built my rig, and I honestly have not updated any of the specs ever since. For several years I didn't need to, because it was more than capable of running everything at the time. Then I kind of slipped out of PC gaming for a while, but now I'm getting back in, and want to know if a GPU update will bring my computer up to snuff, or if I should just build a new rig. I guess my actual question is what is the best GPU that my specs can handle without bottlenecking the GPU too bad? Any help is much appreciated. My specs are below.

Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 OC'd to 3.8GHz
RAM: Corsair Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition
PSU: Corsair HX1000W

Thanks,
Solertia
Hi there

First off ditch the i7 920 and replace it with a hexcore Xeon x5650 or x5660 or similiar. You can pick these up off ebay for about £50.00 GBP

Add another 6GB RAM Corsair Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600. £27.00 GBP on ebay

So far £80.00 GBP upgrade

For the GPU wait a few weeks until the Geforce GTX 1070 are flying off the shelves (June 10th) and then pick up a Geforce 980ti off ebay for about £250.00 GBP. JayzTwoCents just sold his for $300.00 earlier this week https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents

Also, read the following:

4K gaming PC

Firestrike 1.1 score 17805 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980(2x SLI) and Intel Core i7-4790K

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4937464

Graphics Score 25 805
Physics Score 11 675
Combined Score 7 018

Your old x58 rig with a xeon and cheap 980ti

Firestrike 1.1 score 16850 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti(1x) and Intel Xeon Processor X5680

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7909805

Graphics Score 19 484
Physics Score 19 873 ***
Combined Score 7 516

i7-6700K Titan-X PC

Firestrike 1.1 score 18594 with NVIDIA GTX TITAN X(1x) and Intel Core i7-6700K

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8677022
http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club/13250

Graphics Score 22 371
Physics Score 15 585
Combined Score 9 407

i5-4690K R9 280X PC

Firestrike 1.1 score 8651 with AMD Radeon R9 280X(1x) and Intel Core i5-4690K

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8376278

Graphics Score 10 136
Physics Score 9 380 //eeek
Combined Score 3 906

i7-920 R9 280X PC

Firestrike 1.1 score 7938 with AMD Radeon R9 280X(1x) and Intel Core i7-920 Processor

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6975593

Graphics Score 9 364
Physics Score 8 837
Combined Score 3 461

Further reading...

http://www.overclock-and-game.com/hardware/computer-tech-reviews/28-x5660-review (Kana Maru)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1489955/official-x58-xeon-club (Kana Maru)

Hope this helps
tongue.gif


Edit: added a few more firestrike 1.1 comparisons and obviously upgrade to whatever GPU and additional components/peripherals you can afford on top of your £80.00 GBP CPU upgrade. Seriously suggest you read the Kana-Maru threads...
 

·
Da Boss
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f00b4h View Post

Hi there

First off ditch the i7 920 and replace it with a hexcore Xeon x5650 or x5660 or similiar. You can pick these up off ebay for about £50.00 GBP

Add another 6GB RAM Corsair Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600. £27.00 GBP on ebay

So far £80.00 GBP upgrade

For the GPU wait a few weeks until the Geforce GTX 1070 are flying off the shelves (June 10th) and then pick up a Geforce 980ti off ebay for about £250.00 GBP. JayzTwoCents just sold his for $300.00 earlier this week https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents

Also, read the following:

4K gaming PC

Firestrike 1.1 score 17805 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980(2x SLI) and Intel Core i7-4790K

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4937464

Graphics Score 25 805
Physics Score 11 675
Combined Score 7 018

Your old x58 rig with a xeon and cheap 980ti

Firestrike 1.1 score 16850 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti(1x) and Intel Xeon Processor X5680

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7909805

Graphics Score 19 484
Physics Score 19 873 ***
Combined Score 7 516

Further reading...

http://www.overclock-and-game.com/hardware/computer-tech-reviews/28-x5660-review (Kana Maru)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1489955/official-x58-xeon-club (Kana Maru)

Hope this helps
tongue.gif
No need to waste time or money with all that. Current i7 920 OC'd is fine. Current memory setup is fine.
I agree with everyone. RX 480 or a used 980/ti would be a perfect upgrade for a system like that. Spend extra money on an SSD and peripherals that make gaming more enjoyable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer View Post

Single Core?

the i7-920 is a Quad core CPU
I still have one of those, with the same motherboard as the OP.

@Solertia
the motherboard is PCIe2.0 so it can run the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 just fine.

of course, if your motherboard were PCIe3.0 then it can use the full power of the new cards

BTW, I had the GTX 285 on that build, very similar to yours
biggrin.gif
Seeing some updated bench marks would be cool. In the past PCIe speed made very little difference whether x16, x8, or even x4.

Even with the GTX 1080 I don't think we would see a big difference between PCIe 3 x16 and PCIe 3 x8 (PCIe 2 x16).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the responses! I think I am going to get an SSD and an RX 480 (once it is available)
smile.gif
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top