Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, of course, want to max out any game I get (who doesn't) but I play on a relatively small res (1024x768)

It's the max my 15 inch standard monitor supports, but I don't mind it. I've been looking at the 4870 and 4890, they both get pretty good benchmarks. Problem is, no one ever does the benchmarks at my low res, so I can't really tell what I'd be getting lol

I'm curious if either of those cards would be overkill for my low resolution... or would it be worth it to save a few bucks and get something cheaper? I HAVE looked at the 5XXX series of cards, but I'm not entirely sure if I'd need one of them at the moment with how much they cost.

The rest of my system will have this:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
4GB Corsair DDR2 800
Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H
Corsair 750TX
NZXT Lexa-S

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Looks like a nice system you have, would you ever upgrade your monitor to a higher res in the future? Future-proofing is always wise

The ATI 4870 will suit you perfectly, should pump out some great frames on that res and if you go bigger (up to 22") a 4870 will suffice.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will upgrade eventually, just don't see a need for it now as I never sit more than 3 feet away from my screen anyway

So, I should just get rid of the idea of a 4890 all together? Perhaps spend the extra few bucks on a new keyboard or mouse

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch, been driving me nuts over the last few days if I should spend the cash or if it would just be overkill and I'd notice no performance gains.

Hopefully I'll finally be able to crank Crysis up to something wicked

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do you have a budget? Are you set on not getting a new monitor? I like the Dell monitors, a good deal here:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-7438

Throw a decent card with that and price should be reasonable. Future proof for awhile. But if a monitor isn't on your list, disregard everything I said
. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already have a Dell monitor, it's been good to me
That is a nice price for that monitor, though! I'll be sticking with my current monitor for a while (or until it dies on me lol) just spent a ton on a new T.V for the bedroom!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Yeah why not a monitor upgrade?

Oh i see...i wouldn't normally suggest a monitor upgrade but the difference would be leaps and bounds

If i had to recommend a GPU i'd say go for the 5770...but both the 4870 and 4890 would do great as well

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by donutpirate
View Post

I already have a Dell monitor, it's been good to me
That is a nice price for that monitor, though! I'll be sticking with my current monitor for a while (or until it dies on me lol) just spent a ton on a new T.V for the bedroom!

A new TV is always nice

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will probably upgrade to the 5XXX series cards whenever I upgrade my monitor. That way, they'll be a bit cheaper, and hopefully the game market will be saturated with more DX11 games for the card to take advantage of
$400+ for a new GPU is something I can't afford. I'd love to have all the new toys as soon as they come out, but I gotta wait till they're at least a few models behind to get them on my budget

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to hear it!

Ezygroove, is XFX a good brand? I noticed from your sig rig that you have a card from them. I've heard good and bad things about their customer support, do you have any experiences?

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
XFX , Sapphire and Asus are some of the better brand of video card. I would with a 5770 and when you upgrade your monitor just throw another 5770 in CF. It would about the same as 5870.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would a 5770 be able to run everything I want to play on max without any hitches though?

I've already purchased Crysis, Dragon Age: Origins, Borderlands and a few other games.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Would a 5770 be able to run everything I want to play on max without any hitches though?

I've already purchased Crysis, Dragon Age: Origins, Borderlands and a few other games.

yeah a 5750 probably could probably play those at that resolution but future proof with a 5770.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:

View Post

It should at your rez.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm, well we'll see! I'm still leaning towards the 4870. I don't plan on going Crossfire on anything, at least not for a LONG time. I'll deal with the future when it gets here

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post
FYI 4870 is a little strong then a 5770 in DX10 games.
This is truth, but the good thing about the 5770 is that it is DX11 capable which is a big plus for future proofing. They also have a few other nifty features such as Eyefinity where they support more than 2 monitors.

Buuuut, you don't really have to worry about that now, do you?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts