Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked into this other pc(open the case)...I only looked...touched no wires or disconnected anything etc,.
It's an old DDR , sempron 2800+, build with an asrock board with ide hdd...

When you start the computer the screen say no display..i've checked all the wires etc.
I can hear/see the fans all spining and the hdd is working ....ps the nb/sb get warm (does that mean the mobo's working)...I also test the gfx I put mine 8600gt (i know is old
tongue.gif
) in it (the fan spun up...) after several restarts etc, still nothing the only thing i notice is the case has a 2 leds at the front the normally blink (cpu, hdd usage) but they only light up without any flashing.

I have no idea what's wrong, like i said I didn't touch anything, please help asap.
thx

ps if i dont fix it.....pss i dont really wanna buy anything... but yeah
frown.gif

·
Chief Engineer
941 Posts
Best guess is the bios is blown out. Needs a hot flash or a bios chip. Or the mobo's shot, one or the other.
Any beep codes?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
front lights should be power and hdd

does it have onboard video you can try?

some older ide drives take 5-10+ secs to spin up, and bios to recognize them

but it should gieve a gpu screen then bios status screen when you reset or power it on

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no beeps , yes the front light is actually power + hdd,I tried the onboard first but as that fail i tried something different, nothing...even after a minute the hdd sound the same , no screen etc,

could it be dust??? this pc is about 7yo and was never cleaned, Maybe when I opened it is some dust went somewhere it souldn't???

Should I try a different screen?

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Just rebuild the system. Take it all apart, clean it, put it back together. Works a lot of the time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could it be the dust???

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott;11935950
No beeps is not a good sign.
frown.gif
See post #2.
even when I take RAM out, it should beep then shouldn't it.
I think the mobo's gone?? am I right?

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Probrably so.
If the board isn't responding to changes such as the RAM being removed and recognizing it, the board is most likely toast - Just don't try spreading butter on it, that won't fix it but might make it taste better.
headscratch.gif

Only other thing it could possibly be is a dead CPU but even then, the board "should" give a RAM error beep when you pull the sticks.
I have had dead CPU's make one act like it was dead and trying another CPU fixed the prob and showed the board was actually OK.
That's the only thing you could really try at this point. If you do and you still get nada, it's 100% dead.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Simple things to check if the mobo is not beeping, make sure that you checked the connections from the PSU to the Mobo, Also check the compasators to check to see if they are "domed" google this to get a better view of what im talking about, 9\10 times when i have this problem i find that some of the power connections to the mobo arent fully connected. Also check ( im not sure if you posted it ) but if your graphics card requires a connection to the power supply then check to see if they are in as well. Regardless check your monitor or what ever you have it connected to...

Also for giggles, what i do is unplug the power cord, press power button, and pull the mobo battery out. Then put it all back in and power it up, sadly its fixed one of my problems. Try everything. you never know what works.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apgfeb14;11937203
Simple things to check if the mobo is not beeping, make sure that you checked the connections from the PSU to the Mobo, Also check the compasators to check to see if they are "domed" google this to get a better view of what im talking about, 9\10 times when i have this problem i find that some of the power connections to the mobo arent fully connected. Also check ( im not sure if you posted it ) but if your graphics card requires a connection to the power supply then check to see if they are in as well. Regardless check your monitor or what ever you have it connected to...

Also for giggles, what i do is unplug the power cord, press power button, and pull the mobo battery out. Then put it all back in and power it up, sadly its fixed one of my problems. Try everything. you never know what works.
Good point about the caps. If any have a bulge at the top, that's would be the suspect you're looking for.
Yes, check it all out and see.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@kryton I wouldn't wanna try that, i don't really like burnt toast
tongue.gif

I don't need any power connection to the gfx,
I have checked 2 monitors, one 100% work(this one
biggrin.gif
) and the other one worked before, the tv etc, works on it.
Would it be worth trying a different psu??
I checked all connections over and over again..

I'll check the caps but i dont have acess to the pc right now.

I might try that power thing
biggrin.gif

thanks for your time.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercooled 999;11937476
@kryton I wouldn't wanna try that, i don't really like burnt toast
tongue.gif

I don't need any power connection to the gfx,
I have checked 2 monitors, one 100% work(this one
biggrin.gif
) and the other one worked before, the tv etc, works on it.
Would it be worth trying a different psu??
I checked all connections over and over again..

I'll check the caps but i dont have access to the pc right now.

I might try that power thing
biggrin.gif

thanks for your time.
I would defiantly try the power cycle. As retro and crude and pointless as it may seem, it helps to cycle things like that. Yea it might not be an every day thing, but it cant hurt. Just dont be stupid and dont forget to ground your self.
wink.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did all you said .... and still nothing

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
When you say it's a 2800+ Sempron, is it a Socket 754 or 939 chip?
I want to say that's a 939 chip but I could be wrong here.

EDIT: According to CPU World, it's a 754 and there is no listing for a 2800+ Sempron for a 939 socket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton;11946282
When you say it's a 2800+ Sempron, is it a Socket 754 or 939 chip?
I want to say that's a 939 chip but I could be wrong here.

EDIT: According to CPU World, it's a 754 and there is no listing for a 2800+ Sempron for a 939 socket.
I'm not sure it's a 1.6ghz I think it's the 754...but i could be wrong...I was bought of the shelf...I looked on the asrock website and i think it's a 754...I check later don't really have time now.

ok, so i did some searching and found the mobo it looks exactly the same...754 socket, i'm not sure if the chipset is different 6100/6200 but i don't think it's a huge diffrence.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
anything else I could do...???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts