Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the jury duty mail about 2 or 3 months ago for the first time and I thought I just take the letter and show up. I did not know I have to register and mail them this paper >.>

So my question is, my jury duty day is tomorrow and I haven't mailed it in.

What happens if I miss it?

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously? Soooo I'm going to prison this week? Cuz unless this letter gets there in 1 day, I'm missing it.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Jury duty is such a crock. Did you have to sign for the letter? If not it would be hard for them to prove that you actually got it.

Me personaly I would just blow it off.

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonnie5000
View Post

Jury duty is such a crock. Did you have to sign for the letter? If not it would be hard for them to prove that you actually got it.

Me personaly I would just blow it off.

Yeah I never signed the letter, I just got it in the mail and I forgot to fill it out and mail it in.

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chemicalfan View Post
I'd give them a call, unless it says on the letter when and where you're supposed to be, in which case just turn up. You might find that because you didn't reply, they've drafted in a replacement anyway
I read the letter and it says to not go if I didn't fill out the letter >.>

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,918 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jshay View Post
I read the letter and it says to not go if I didn't fill out the letter >.>
But you didn't get the letter, so you don't know that.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jshay View Post
I got the jury duty mail about 2 or 3 months ago for the first time and I thought I just take the letter and show up. I did not know I have to register and mail them this paper >.>

So my question is, my jury duty day is tomorrow and I haven't mailed it in.

What happens if I miss it?
Doesn't it say on the letter, "ACTION REQUIRED, READ ENTIRE LETTER" or something like that?

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
But you didn't get the letter, so you don't know that.

Yess. Yess... I never got a jury duty summons..

Oh and also they spelled my name wrong.. On a letter I got never...

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
In my state, failing to show up for jury duty is an automatic bench warrant for failure to appear. That's technically what you did. Failure to appear isn't just for criminals out on bail!

What's the big deal about jury duty? You sit there in the room until your name is called (mine never has been) and you read or watch whatever craptastic show they have on the TV. If your name is called, you are broken off into a smaller group. Some get picked for a jury during Voir Dire but most aren't. Back to the reading/TV room!

Also, you get paid if you're missing work.

It's your civic duty to appear for jury duty. You should be proud to serve! What does the government really ask from you? Some taxes, don't break the law, vote and appear for jury duty. Big deal. Just show up and do it. They won't, and can't bother you for X amount of years (depending on the state)

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post
In my state, failing to show up for jury duty is an automatic bench warrant for failure to appear. That's technically what you did. Failure to appear isn't just for criminals out on bail!

What's the big deal about jury duty? You sit there in the room until your name is called (mine never has been) and you read or watch whatever craptastic show they have on the TV. If your name is called, you are broken off into a smaller group. Some get picked for a jury during Voir Dire but most aren't. Back to the reading/TV room!

Also, you get paid if you're missing work.

It's your civic duty to appear for jury duty. You should be proud to serve! What does the government really ask from you? Some taxes, don't break the law, vote and appear for jury duty. Big deal. Just show up and do it. They won't, and can't bother you for X amount of years (depending on the state)
Geez I'm not trying to skip Jury Duty, I said I was going to go but they require me to mail in stuff before I do.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
TFB... don't be so hard on him dude. @ Jshay, there should be a statement or something that says It is required to do it or not

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

I wasn't being hard on him, was I?

Not really.

I bet there's a number on the letter you could call and ask or something. Just be like, "I forgot to mail the thing in... what do I do". I'll bet this happens pretty often.

·
Banned
3,749 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jshay
View Post

Yess. Yess... I never got a jury duty summons..

Oh and also they spelled my name wrong.. On a letter I got never...

If they spelled your name wrong on the jury duty summons, you aren't legally bound to show up. If they send a summons to your house named to John Doe, and your legal name is Jon Doe, then, legally, you were not the one given the summons.

Same thing with tickets. If a police officer misspells your name on the speeding ticket, you can take it to court and just tell the judge "Your honor, my name is not John, it's Jon. I am not going to take the wrap for some guy named John's speeding ticket." I can guarantee you that you will not have to pay that ticket, and it will not go on your record, because it legally doesn't belong to you, it belongs to John. (It's happened to me twice...
)

So, if the same thing applies to other things such as jury summons', YOU legally did not receive that jury summons, some guy with a name sort of similar to yours received that jury summons, and it mistakenly must have been addressed to you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I haven't gotten a letter for Jury Duty in forever (Thank God) Even if I did go... I'd put my srs face on and just repeat over and over. "Whoever he is he's guilty"
Last time I checked they ask you sorts of questions related to the case. For example... Say an African American man robbed a store. They will ask "How do you feel about African Americans" If you reply with something sounding somewhat racist... They will dismiss you.

As for the paid for missing work thing... I raged so hard missing work when I was back in CO for it... They paid enough for gas money, and that's about it. Like maybe 6.00$... Which is close to minimum wage in Colorado (think it's like 6.50), but either way at my job I had there I normally got paid 20/hr +100$ Per Diem , and it also made me miss out a whole week on work. Cause my car couldn't make it up into the mountains aaand no one comes back down to the parking ride. Yeah... Jury Duty sucks something fierce...

Edit: Oh Oh question @F1ForFrags

If I changed my name, and have my new name in SS, Drivers I.D. ect, and they send a summon for my old name. Does that mean it has the same effect? Cause I know Taxes is not quite the same lol! I gotta do my Taxes -.- ... That's gonna be some embarrassing crap right there -.-

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I was under the impression that you only need to fill it out and return if you want to be exempt. If not you usually bring the summons with you and appear. I have one right in front of me, but it's from TX. It has been too long since I attended one in Cali. But it's just like explained. You sit and wait to see if they call your group. Then you sit in a room and see if they pick you. At which point you can say that you are racist, can't speak english, or any other excuse that you might give them in order to be excused.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts