Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my gripe is that I see all these old lga 775 or 1366 motherboards with full copper heatsinks and addon fans for the VRMs and they actually looked like they work to actively cool the motherboard.

Now, when I look at motherboards, I see spraypainted aluminum with a thermal pad squished under it. No ability to improve the cooling performance of the VRMs without having to resort to liquid cooling. I personally like the look of air cooling and would love mods that allow you to use more complex air cooling setups on VRMs.

So my question is, what happened to the motherboard industry that caused them to move away from better VRM cooling?

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
So my question is, what happened to the motherboard industry that caused them to move away from better VRM cooling?
The industry decided that looks were more important than cooling performance. Real finned VRM heat sinks are ugly, while the metal block heat sinks are prettier.

·
Iconoclast
30,445 Posts
More efficient VRMs, often combined with lower current demand from processors.

Frankly, most decent mainstream (LGA-1151 or AM4) boards would work fine with no heatsinks on the VRM at all, even with significantly OCed CPUs.

Much of the cooling on older boards was also for the chipset, which have gone through even more dramatic changes. An old MCH or IOH could need to dissipate 30-50w on an overclocked setup. A modern PCH is about 5-6w.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,910 Posts
pretty much what @Blameless said. Older Core 2 Quads like the QX9770 at its default frequency/voltage pull more than 2x as much power as a 7700K OCed to 5.0+. there's no need for VRM heatsink designs to be as elaborate as they used to be.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
there's no need for VRM heatsink designs to be as elaborate as they used to be.
That might be true for mainstream stuff, but not for HEDT at all. X299 and X399 VRM would melt your face off if given the chance, and those at least should have finned VRM heat sinks. The high-end mainstream stuff should offer finned heat sinks as well.

I would pay extra for finned VRM heat sinks on any board I use. Cooler is better as far as electronic components are concerned. And that applies whether you are overclocking or not.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,910 Posts
That might be true for mainstream stuff, but not for HEDT at all. X299 and X399 VRM would melt your face off if given the chance, and those at least should have finned VRM heat sinks.
I don't know of any X299/X399 board that doesn't have finned heatsink.

Regardless, I have yet to see a modern board as over the top and goofy as it was in the 775 days.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
I miss my DFI UT X58-T3eH8 :(

Attachments

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
I don't know of any X299/X399 board that doesn't have finned heatsink.
You call the poser blocks of metal in use nowadays finned heat sinks!?!? What a joke. I mean a real finned heat sink similar to what you pictured -- only without the exaggerated crap added on.

EVGA is the only company doing anything like real heat sinks ... and even they only do them on X299 boards. I think I recently saw another single board with a real heat sink recently, but I don't remember what it was or who made it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The high end X470 boards don't even need much of a heatsink due to the actual VRM's. my MSI gaming M7 just hits 60C @ 1.4v

·
Premium Member
8,377 Posts
To me personally, those old finned heatsinks look sexy as hell. You see a beefy fined heatsink with a few heatpipes? Overclocker's board right there :D. I miss them too, but I agree that they would be mostly overkill for today's chips. The hell, I want overkill.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Missed my Biostar i45 TPower cooling harbor.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,910 Posts
Missed my Biostar i45 TPower cooling harbor.
Got a soft spot in my heart for Biostar. First board I bought was a Biostar TForce 6100. Had IGP and was mATX, but was one of a few 939 boards that could reliably hit >300 FSB/HTT and cost a third of what they did :D

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
Thermalright used to have a bunch (like 20) fancy heatpipe RAM, VRM, etc. heatsinks. Some of their original retail outlets still have them in stock. Some even have some of their first CPU coolers like Ultra 120 eXtreme, Ultima 80, etc. :p
https://www.scan.co.uk/search?q=thermalright

1 - 15 of 15 Posts