Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace the HD in a friends laptop that died (the HD that is). The laptop is a Dell Studio Laptop X1647-533OBK that was bought at BB. The drive is a seagate 500 gig 7200 momentus. ShoUld i go with something different? Also he wont do an SSD.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I would say just go for a quality hd, rather than a hybrid or ssd. Just my 2cents, but for myself i use my laptop strictly for school work and throw my music on it. Which don't have massive load times anyway. So maybe a larger hd would be a better purchase. Unless he needs to be in windows in under 15 seconds.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
WD Scorpio Blacks are always a safe bet.

My friend has the 320 GB in her laptop and it reaches almost desktop levels of performance.

~15 ms access time
~80 MB/s read

They are also pretty cheap.
The 160 GB version is $40 shipped on Newegg right now.

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,743 Posts
Yep, concur on the WD Scorpio Black. Indeed, this is precisely the unit I'll buy to upgrade my laptop.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEntel
View Post

WD Scorpio Blacks are always a safe bet.

My friend has the 320 GB in her laptop and it reaches almost desktop levels of performance.

~15 ms access time
~80 MB/s read

They are also pretty cheap.
The 160 GB version is $40 shipped on Newegg right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by parityboy
View Post

Yep, concur on the WD Scorpio Black. Indeed, this is precisely the unit I'll buy to upgrade my laptop.

I get closer to 95MB/sec on sequential read operations with my WD Scorpio Blacks... That's the 320GB version though.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I actually just got the 160GB Scorpio black a couple of days ago.

In a laptop, the small relative performance differences between drives should not be the only consideration.

How much space do you need?
How important is battery life? Battery life could fluctuate half an hour between the highest and lowest power consumption drives. That can be a huge factor for some people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts