Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello OCN,

It's summer-in-the-city again and where I live the air temps are quite high. Thus, the family has to keep all the doors and windows in the apartment wide open, else there is little oxygen and certain members objectively can't sustain staying in such an environment for a long time. Air conditioning is not an option, not at all, for some reasons.

This means I get to hear a lot of noise as there is a busy road next to the apt block, and then all the TV's and home noises as well. That in turn means I can't concentrate well enough on the attention-demanding activities like maths and programming.

What headphones should I get to be able to hear next to no noise at all? I don't quite understand what that active noise cancellation is and, **most importantly**, how it afffects one's health if used every day for a prolonoged period of time, since as far as I understand, anything from partial hearing loss to oncology (as a result of constant vibrations - I'm thinking in analogy with vibration-intensive workplaces such as the various heavy industries, that are considered harmful enough to warrantee a shorteer workweek, compensations, etc.)

Any pasive options?

Also, whenever I search for "noise cancelling headphones", I come across a lot of "wireless / radio / bluetooth". That's not an option either, for safety reasons.

Tried the Sony MDR-XB450 that we have at home, well I can hear the motorcycles very well through them, even though they put quite some pressure on my ears and deafen the noise a little.

Thank you!

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNightOwl View Post

Hello OCN,

It's summer-in-the-city again and where I live the air temps are quite high. Thus, the family has to keep all the doors and windows in the apartment wide open, else there is little oxygen and certain members objectively can't sustain staying in such an environment for a long time. Air conditioning is not an option, not at all, for some reasons.

This means I get to hear a lot of noise as there is a busy road next to the apt block, and then all the TV's and home noises as well. That in turn means I can't concentrate well enough on the attention-demanding activities like maths and programming.

What headphones should I get to be able to hear next to no noise at all? I don't quite understand what that active noise cancellation is and, **most importantly**, how it afffects one's health if used every day for a prolonoged period of time, since as far as I understand, anything from partial hearing loss to oncology (as a result of constant vibrations - I'm thinking in analogy with vibration-intensive workplaces such as the various heavy industries, that are considered harmful enough to warrantee a shorteer workweek, compensations, etc.)

Any pasive options?

Also, whenever I search for "noise cancelling headphones", I come across a lot of "wireless / radio / bluetooth". That's not an option either, for safety reasons.

Tried the Sony MDR-XB450 that we have at home, well I can hear the motorcycles very well through them, even though they put quite some pressure on my ears and deafen the noise a little.

Thank you!
The only passive options are closed over ear headphones, but in the heat you'll be sweating so much. Active noise cancelling IEMs are the best for noise isolation and they won't heat you up. I can't speak about health concerns from active noise cancelling though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts