Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an MSI Gaming X 1060 6 gig version. I bought it without the stock cooling and an EKWB waterblock only. I'm not comfortable putting together a full custom loop so I'm looking at using an AIO cooler and Kraken G12. I know I'll need to add heatsinks to the VRM and VRAM.
I've never messed with a videocard so I'm not sure what sizes or how many I'll need and I've found no info in my research online for this particular card. I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not even sure what chips are what on the card.

The best picture I could find of the components are at this link: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NNBk47btJvs/WN5v2pUWRAI/AAAAAAAAIAs/m2d8lcfZ7fg7Y1QAaX6X5eUaTyIe05c8gCLcB/s1600/MSI%2BGTX%2B1060%2BGaming%2BX%2B%252814%2529.JPG

TLDR: Need to know size and amount of heatsinks for MSI Gaming X 1060 with Kraken G12.

Thanks guys!

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,931 Posts
I'd just grab some universal ones for cheap. Enzotech makes some copper ones that are reasonably priced that I've used in the past and they make aluminum ones that are a bit cheaper. Just do a search for "VGA heatsinks" on Amazon or Google and you'll get a ton of results.

A lot of the cheaper aluminum ones don't come with thermal tape, so just make sure you either grab some thermal adhesive or do what people used to do in ye olde days and mix a dab of super glue with some thermal paste :p

IIRC vRAM is either 14 or 13mm but I think all heatsinks pretty much are all 14x14 or 15x15.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd just grab some universal ones for cheap. Enzotech makes some copper ones that are reasonably priced that I've used in the past and they make aluminum ones that are a bit cheaper. Just do a search for "VGA heatsinks" on Amazon or Google and you'll get a ton of results.

A lot of the cheaper aluminum ones don't come with thermal tape, so just make sure you either grab some thermal adhesive or do what people used to do in ye olde days and mix a dab of super glue with some thermal paste :p
Do I only need to put heatsinks on the big squares around the processor though? Or do I need to put them on the chips that say "SFC" as well? (The grey ones by the row of capacitors)

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,931 Posts
At least put them on the vRAM and mosfets.

Should be helpful:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. So by my count I'll need about 20 heatsinks to cover everything on the GPU. That's certainly more than I anticipated lol. But if it prevents me from having to deal with a full custom loop it's worth it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nvm on this. Decided I didn't feel like leaving the apartment so I just set up my loop. 2 hours into leak testing and all is well. I was making a bigger deal out of it than it was.

·
Premium Member
27,147 Posts
If your waterblock is full cover you don't need any air cooled heat sinks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts