Overclock.net banner

What in your opinion is the best display setup and why?

• Triple 1080p

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Duel 1440p 144hz monitors

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Single 1440p 34" ultra wide

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • 4k Monitor

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Ultra wide and side monitor of the same resolution.

Votes: 2 6.5%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Triple 1080p Vs Duel 1440p Vs Single 1440p 34" ultra wide or 4k Monitor.
Let me know if you have more ideas below.

Assuming these all cost roughly the same - Which one of these all of these option if you had to pick would it be and why, if you have one of these would you keep it or switch it for a different setup?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Single 24" 1080 144hz is my vote
tongue.gif
. Only thing that would beat that in my book is if I got one of the 24" 1080 144hz qnix/x-star monitors that can be overclocked closer to 200hz.

Edit: Forgot to say TN. Has to be TN.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Personally I'm sold on 1440x3440 ultrawides. I'm running one at 100hz winged by a pair of cheap Korean 1440's and a cheap 1080 above running from my server and absolutely love this setup.

The support for 21:9 is pretty good now with almost all the games I play working just fine. My single 980ti at 1475MHz can power most games at 80-100 FPS and with Gsync it's nice and smooth. 4K does have more pixels and a higher pixel density, but that also means it's harder for video cards to drive and hardware just isn't there yet in my opinion. With the next generation of video cards on the horizon we may be in a place where 4k and even 4k ultrawides when they hit the market will be a superior option but for now 1440 21:9 is an excellent choice.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chr1spe View Post

Single 24" 1080 144hz is my vote
tongue.gif
. Only thing that would beat that in my book is if I got one of the 24" 1080 144hz qnix/x-star monitors that can be overclocked closer to 200hz.

Edit: Forgot to say TN. Has to be TN.
I would have to agree with this, maybe not single as its very nice to have a second monitor so i'd vote for either x2 1440p 144hz or x2 1080p 144hz, depending on what your budget allows. Game on one screen and have the second for multi-tasking/productivity. 1440p is a good step up from 1080p, but if you wanna remain in the 60+ fps range with nice graphics settings you'll really have no other choice than a fury x or 980 ti for a single card solution, at least in latest titles.

EDIT: If you were thinking about playing on x3 1080p screens i would rather eliminate the bezels in between and go for a single 3440x1440 ultrawide. x3 1440p is also really nice especially in portrait setup, but then we're looking at dual card configurations for games to remain playable. To get an idea, 4k is 8 million pixels, x3 1440p is 11 million so unless you're comfortable tanking settings to low, you'll want to look at at least x2 fury x's or 980 tis.

Now isn't the best time to buy GPUs though imo, new stuff is gonna be out in a few months that will give you 980 ti performance at a much lower cost.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well yeah obviously you probably want another monitor for other stuff. I forgot to say that, but as far as gaming just a single 144hz 24" 1080 TN is all I want. Right now my second monitor is actually a 75hz 1440x900 and I'm totally fine with that. I don't need high res or refresh rate on my second monitor though maybe a second 24" 1080 would be nice for watching things in 1080 on while doing thing on my main screen. Also I mostly want the highest framerate/refresh rate possible for the best performance. I wouldn't want to run a dual card set up because it increases input lag. Basically I want 144+ fps out of a single card.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm the only one who voted for the ultrawide and a single side monitor.
Personally that's what I think is best, however I can't even afford that now if I wanted a really good ultrawide and not something cheap so I will probably be getting a single 1440p monitor and using my 1080p as a side monitor and in the future after I have saved up more and there are more options on Ultrawides I will pick the best one and use the 1440p as a side monitor and my 1080p vertically for webpages on the other side.. Probably not the most pretty setup but I think it would be very efficiant for me. But to everyone their own thing, whatever works best for them.

My question to you guys is why tn panels over ips panels? For the response time? I thought that these days ips monitors have pretty good response times.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Went from 23.5" 1080p surround ips 75hz, to 32" 1440p 87hz va, to 48" 4k ips freesync. I dont like gaming on small screens, 34" ultrawide is tiny to me. A 27" but wider, maybe even shorter. Definitely prefer 1 large display

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
When they come out with a super, duper, curved widescreen the width of three 24" monitors, I might get interested. For now I can get far more usable screen real estate from three 24" 1920 x 1080 monitors in the limited space I have than one or two 27" monitors.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As I've mentioned in several other threads; 1080 is frankly too low resolution for me (and ridiculous). I was a semi-pro Q3 player 15 years ago and we played at higher than 1080 back then on CRT's. It's frustrating (and largely due to the general public believing marketing hype and lack of education.. 1080 = HD = teh b3st!! ) that we've regressed to 1080 being a "good resolution". I'm also intrigued by the ultrawides but wont be a buyer until they are trouble free AND 100hz or better. With DP 1.4, I suspect we might get both of those very soon.

I'm also in the "anything less than 30" is a waste of time" camp. The 34" ultrawides are only as vertically tall as a 27", so I'd like to see a 40" ultrawide with the same vertical dimension as my current 30"... I'm running one 30" flanked by two 27" currently.

So that's my "best display setup" config. A DP 1.4 40" Ultrawide at 1440 or greater vertical resolution.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
For my purposes, 1080 is fine up to 24" but would probably be sketchy at best on a 27 incher. I haven't actually seen a 27 incher running at 1080 up close yet so I can't be sure. For me, it's moot since I barely had room for my three 24 inchers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Voted;
Single 1440p 34" ultra wide

but for me the optimal is dual screen 34" ultrawide 21:9 3550 x 1440 100Hz gsync and a secondary monitor a normal WQHD 2560 x 1440

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Triple 1080p or really any triple monitor setup is the best out of those options IMO.
You can switch to running them in all in surround for gaming if that's your thing, or you can have three separate screens. A good use for three screens is the obvious dual monitor productivity boost, plus an extra which comes in handy for watching video content (think netflix, etc) or monitoring something, maybe some surveillance cam footage.

The only bad thing about a triple monitor setup seems to be speaker placement if you happen to use those, though with a headset it does not matter.

If money was not an issue and I found good screens, I'd immediately buy the following setup.
Three 21-23" screens with the following resolution and placement.
1920x1200 + 3840x2400 + 1920x1200

·
Living life! Twice IfIHv2
3,459 Posts
I like the Triple monitor + setups as well. But as Lady Fitz said "When they come out with a super, duper, curved widescreen the width of three 24" monitors, I might get interested. " I could definitely get on board with something like that even though its just wishful thinking.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultisym View Post

I like the Triple monitor + setups as well. But as Lady Fitz said "When they come out with a super, duper, curved widescreen the width of three 24" monitors, I might get interested. " I could definitely get on board with something like that even though its just wishful thinking.
I'd only be interested in such a display if it allowed you to use each third of the screen as a separate monitor.

I don't mean taking a third off physically, I just mean using each third of the screen as different devices seen by the OS. I hate the way windows "fake maximize" while using NVIDIA surround or how games using fullscreen windowed will fill up all three screens. On a purely display viewpoint, I'd of course be interested in a single 5760x1080 or higher res curved screen because the hell with bezels and differently sized/differently tinted screens. The software handling of such a display on the other hand worries me.

I'm sure there will be software workarounds to use the monitor split up, and that will work for many people, but unless such a feature is actually in the monitor itself, and uses three inputs it won't work perfectly in all use cases since some programs are rather "dumb". Fullscreen (Windowed) games for example will try and fill the entire display (all three monitors) if the whole screen is seen as "Display 1".

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Voted triple 1080, but my next setup will be triple 1440 and most likely gsync.

This offers the best of everything in my opinion. Super wide FOV in games is great and support is decent enough these days. No worse then ultrawide. I only have a couple games that i can not get working in triple screens.

When not gaming i still use all three screens. Middle is usually web browser or what ever else i am focusing on. Right is Steam. Left is general work space. I also have a TV hooked up off to the side that i use as a monitoring and communication hub. When working on my game server I will have a remote desktop on one screen going and other work on the two other screens.

·
Living life! Twice IfIHv2
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet4NO1 View Post

This offers the best of everything in my opinion. Super wide FOV in games is great and support is decent enough these days. No worse then ultrawide. I only have a couple games that i can not get working in triple screens.
Agreed though I always caveat that with the fact that its not for everyone. I dont have any trouble getting all working in most of the games I have either. Just one or two. There are also free programs available to help some of the few games that pose more annoying problems in surround. Like HUD placement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet4NO1 View Post

When not gaming i still use all three screens. Middle is usually web browser or what ever else i am focusing on. Right is Steam. Left is general work space. I also have a TV hooked up off to the side that i use as a monitoring and communication hub. When working on my game server I will have a remote desktop on one screen going and other work on the two other screens.
Same here, I also run an accessory monitor on top for all my OC and system monitoring utilities. I tend to throw outlook up there when I am working. Ive somehow ended up in the habit of web browser on the left screen, whatever program I am actually using at the time ex. Excel etc on the center screen and pdfs, jpgs etc and media players on the right screen. I definitely love all the real estate.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
27" 1440p IPS G-Sync 165 Hz is best imo.

100Hz Ultrawides are nice but they lack higher refresh rate, they have (right now) coil whine problems, scanlines (on top of normal gaming monitor problems) and not all can do 100Hz even, while all 27" 1440 165Hz so far (I had 9) can do 165 easly.

You have big enough screen to feel it, higher refresh rate to use it, ULMB and middle price tag. Best of all worlds in my opinion.

Ultrawides are still too young and they just put inside old overclocked 60Hz panels for insane price-tag. And 1080p is imo history right now for serious gaming.

Right now my ideal setup is 27" 1440p 165Hz main and one 1080p in portrait mode on side for mail, browsing, chat etc etc. next to gaming monitor.

But for your specific selection I would go with 34" 1440p 100Hz if you do not consider 27" 1440p 165Hz. Ultrawide will serve you well
thumb.gif

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl4ppy View Post

As I've mentioned in several other threads; 1080 is frankly too low resolution for me (and ridiculous). I was a semi-pro Q3 player 15 years ago and we played at higher than 1080 back then on CRT's. It's frustrating (and largely due to the general public believing marketing hype and lack of education.. 1080 = HD = teh b3st!! ) that we've regressed to 1080 being a "good resolution". I'm also intrigued by the ultrawides but wont be a buyer until they are trouble free AND 100hz or better. With DP 1.4, I suspect we might get both of those very soon.

I'm also in the "anything less than 30" is a waste of time" camp. The 34" ultrawides are only as vertically tall as a 27", so I'd like to see a 40" ultrawide with the same vertical dimension as my current 30"... I'm running one 30" flanked by two 27" currently.

So that's my "best display setup" config. A DP 1.4 40" Ultrawide at 1440 or greater vertical resolution.
I like the setup but must take a lot of desk space?
Do you know when we might get the ultrawides you want? Is there any info on them?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts