Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I would like to get a TV tuner card to use a computer like a tivo.

I am looking at something like this setup:
3200+ venice
512mb RAM
6600GT
160gb hd
maybe my current mobo
DVD burner
Antec case/psu

I want to put this rig in the living room and hook it up to my tv/stereo. I can splice the cable to put the cable into the TV card. I mainly just want to be able to record and watch TV with it. I'll also put music and stuff like that on the computer to display/play through the enterainment center. (stereo and TV)

This computer won't have it's own monitor so the primary display will be the TV.

so what would a good TV tuner card be? I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I don't want a total piece of crap either. I was thinking about maybe one of these two cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814122180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815100113

any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
i would suggest buying one that you can use for picture-in-picture, and has a TV guide built in to it, but thats only what i would look for

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know any make/models that have that? Also, can't you just download a tv guide from yahoo or something like that?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ok i have that leadtek tv tuner 2000xp...its crap, bad quality and horrible just all around.... dont buy it! i have heard the ati all in wonder cards are good,but u have 7800gt and i would think they would fight each other and have conflcits ,ect.

EDIT: but if you really want the winfast pvr2000 expert, i can sell it to you for like 25+shipping, its in mint condition with retail box and everything...

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

ok i have that leadtek tv tuner 2000xp...its crap, bad quality and horrible just all around.... dont buy it! i have heard the ati all in wonder cards are good,but u have 7800gt and i would think they would fight each other and have conflcits ,ect.

EDIT: but if you really want the winfast pvr2000 expert, i can sell it to you for like 25+shipping, its in mint condition with retail box and everything...

hmm... that's interesting. it got pretty decent reviews on newegg.

Well, this will be in a new rig, but I already have a 6600GT that I was going to put in it. I don't really want to spend more money or mess w/ the hassle of selling my 6600GT and buying a new all in wonder card... cause I don't think i could afford the x800 and the x600 is such a crappy card.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ya, it may have just been my setup/ my ancient geforce 3 ti 200, but im still offering it if you would like it... just PM me...

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, still looking for different options. I may order tonight... may not...

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Well, if it's going to be a media center style PC, the X600 should suit you fine. Games always look like crap on TV sets anyway, unless you've got one of those 1080p HD monitors and the Vid card supports component out or the TV supports DVI. As for cards, you can always do an ATI TV-Wonder. They're supposed to be really good. You can get the HD one if you want to. Also, the Happauge cards are pretty decent.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well.. I think I'd rather keep my 6600GT I like it, and it has TV out. it's got S-video and the hi def output... (the one w/ the 3 rca jacks for video)

and so I don't really want to get an ATI card casue I already have a perfectly working Nvidia card.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone else?

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well it seems that people reccomend Hauppauge so I think I might just go w/ this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116625

it costs 2x what I had in mind of spending...but I'd rather be happy w/ what I get... and I tend to like picture quality, so it's probably best this way. Plus my wife said to get it LOL.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
will a hd card work w/ regular cable?

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
could you point out a good one?

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That one is an ATI one though, and I heard that ati tv cards don't work well w/ nvidia gfx cards and I was going to put a 6600GT in the rig

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I already have the 6600GT... I ran 2 of them in SLI for a while and sold one when I upgraded to my 7800Gt... so I figure no sense in buying a video card when i have a perfectly good one just sitting around.

so will my msi 6600gt work w/ an ati tv tuner card?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts