Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm somewhat new to overclocking but know the basics, I've done it before but with my 3.2 pressy...I want to know what an obtainable overclock would be for an AMD X2 3800+ with the Patriot RAM, on top of the following setup...:

AMD 64 3800+ ATHLON X2 939P
Patriot Signature DDR 2GB PC3200 400MHz CL-3 Non-ECC Unbuffered
XFX 7800GT 256MB
DFI LANPARTY UT Ultra NF4
Thermaltake Armor Case
ZALMAN CNPS 9500 LED heatsink

The house temperature is normally around 69 degrees...

If anyone has overclocked this similar setup with the same processor, also let me know please

One other thing, I'm willing to get new RAM, I already know that the timings are pretty ****ty, and the RAM overall is just not the greatest. The most I would be willing to spend on RAM is about $250. So if you know of great RAM that will work with the processor to achieve the highest overclock, please post so that I can check it out and hopefully pursue the RAM. The main point of this thread though is to find out what you guys think should be my highest stable overclock, and what RAM would go best with this processor to achieve that overclock.

Thanks a ton guys,
-Nolan

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Thats a very good setup, heat wont be an issue with that cooler, thats prob the best mobo for OCing, you could expect up to prob 2.6-2.7, but that is a best case scenario with good RAM, to get to 2.7 I needed better RAM so I bought my current RAM, be advised I have heard of alot of people not being able to OC there X23800 over 2.4

·
Registered
109 Posts
Patriot isnt bad RAM LOL. There is better RAM out there but unless your going to get a phase changer for cooling that RAM wont hold you back. Before I can help you with the OC I need to know if you have 4 sticks of 512 or 2 1gb sticks. It will make a big difference on the settings.

One thing to remember on the X2 chips is that they dont need much power to OC. Usualy when you OC an X2 you will max out and hit your CPU wall before you even raise it past 1.45v. With your Zalman aqnd your CPU at 1.45v your temps will be around 38-39c idle and 48-50c under load. Right now I have my X2 at 2640mhz with a Vcore of 1.41.

OK try these settings if you have 2 1gig sticks or RAM. 250fsb, 10X multi, 1.45vcore, 2.7v RAM voltage, Try a 1:1 divider on the RAM first and if it doesnt work crank it down a notch. Dont mess with the RAM timeings yet. Make sure your Hypertransport is set to 4X. If these settings pass prime see if you can tighten the RAM timeings.

If you have 4 512 sticks of RAM you should still be able to easily get to 2.5ghz but the settings will be different.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have 2 sticks...not 4, 2 sticks of 1gb each....I will try it and let you know, but the reason I've asked is cause I've seen setups where people hit 3.5 with their X2 3800+ w/ water cooling...so I'm really interested in how high I can overclock it....

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
wow thats an awesome OC even with water cooling, I reached my chips max at 2.7 I believe and temps were very good, couldnt go any higher even with incresed voltage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts