Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What i see on the google images are big metal things. Just wondering how the manufacturer people put 1 billion of whatever they are on a chip. Im curious
. Does somebody have to put each one onto the board or something to make the first one. I have no idea what computer parts are made of

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
It's a semiconductor with three leads, basically. What it does depends on what type of circuit it's in. Here's what some look like;

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
There are different types of transistors. There also different ways to make them.

In layman's terms.... it's a 3 port switch. Electricity can flow in from one end and out the other in one direction. There 3rd port can be used to stop the flow of electricity.

Using the Electronics-Water Analogy.... a transistor does this (water representing electricity):

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
The hydraulic analogy only works for plumbers with dreams of working for Intel.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Transistor is nothing more than a switch. Its one of the fundamental parts of a circuit.

Basically one of the connections acts as a control. You can effectively turn that part of a circuit on or off by applying different levels of voltage to that one input.

One of the more common uses of a transistor is in memory. If you connect the output of a transistor to its input (I'm grossly simplifying btw) you end up with a device that will store a bit. If you connect these together into a giant grid you end up with a block of memory that will store collections of bits (bytes), and millions of these block structures linked together is what makes up the DRAM in your computer.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Oh ok. Thats done by photolithography.

Its basically a CNC router on a microscopic scale. They take a wafer and carve off thin layers to form circuits.

·
Loosing Vision
1,892 Posts
oh Fun!

·
Loosing Vision
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
A transistor is a semi conductor, eg silicon. These function differently to normal conductors, that they only conduct a small amount of electricity because of their structure (the valance band of the element is only half full). Ok what the scientist found out is that when silicon is doped with another element. (there are 2, N-type dope, P-Type dope, i forgot the elements used
). Then they sandwiched two together so n-p which makes a diode (only allows electrons to flow in one direction and not the other). When n-p-n happnens you just created a transistor. As explained above, there are 3 leads, each connected to one of the layers of the transistor. The ends called, Emitter, collector, and the middle lead called base. Im not going to explain how it works there are somethings above. To explain how a cpu works its made up of many transistors, the tiny wires inside a cpu are made of gold, and its composition looks something like this, n-p-n-p-n-p-n-p-n-p... so on. More complicated. A cpu in basic form is just millions of logic gates.
Hope this helps

I do HSC Physics btw for yr 12 haha
, got any more questions, let me know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts