Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was just wondering , what is the avg fsb that amd boards hit before they start to struggle?

What is like the guaranteed fsb on the boards?

Ty

·
Registered
657 Posts
amd board fsb varies in my experience drastically my old 939 winfast *foxconn* board could run very very high fsb with no issues but my 790gx chokes above 225 fsb, really just depends on the board and with amd pricing its easy to get an unlocked processor and not have to worry with fsb

·
Banned
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by martyr187
View Post

amd board fsb varies in my experience drastically my old 939 winfast *foxconn* board could run very very high fsb with no issues but my 790gx chokes above 225 fsb, really just depends on the board and with amd pricing its easy to get an unlocked processor and not have to worry with fsb

Thnx for reply

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
They don't technically have an FSB. Try not to get into the habit of calling it as such as many people will flame you until you see in shades of orange over it. The HT clock, which is treated like FSB when overclocking, typically stocks between 200 and 240. Mine stocks at 200.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
It depends.. Some of the older AM2 board couldn't even hit 250 stable. Now with all these new boards 300+ is very easy; 350+ get's into the harder range.. but there is no need due to the high multi's on the AMD chips.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
i'm messing around on an asus m4a77d. it seems on my board, anything past 222 takes up a crap load of voltage.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Alot of the newer boards can get up to the 300 range. Not sure about the older boards.

·
Climbin' in yo windows
1,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallen Angel -X
View Post

Hey i was just wondering , what is the avg fsb that amd boards hit before they start to struggle?

Ty

My AM2 ASUS M3N72-D sli motherboard has a stock 1200mhz fsb. im assuming its 200x6 the max reference clock Ive achieved stable is 265mhz and that puts it right under 1600mhz. I couldn't tell you if thats the highest the fsb can go since I have a problems going any higher on the reference clock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's no FSB on AMD boards but the stock Hypertransport reference clock is 200MHz. All the 790FX boards I have tried (ASUS, DFI, MSI) have been able to exceed 350MHz with ease. Increasing the HTT ref. clock is how you overclock an AMD processor with a locked multiplier.

Overclocking the actual Hypertransport speed (reference clock X multiplier) really doesn't have any benefits and can make otherwise stable settings unstable so try to set it as close to 2000MHz as possible given the overclock you intend to use.

·
Climbin' in yo windows
1,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

They don't technically have an FSB. Try not to get into the habit of calling it as such as many people will flame you until you see in shades of orange over it. The HT clock, which is treated like FSB when overclocking, typically stocks between 200 and 240. Mine stocks at 200.

perhaps your right but i can tell you this. the first version of AI suite included with the ASUS m3n72-d am2 sli mobo monitored the fsb at 1200mhz stock. I have a pic of it:

and the new version i downloaded a few weeks ago shows the HT clock:

So what do you make of the first pic? it definitely used to monitor the fsb freq

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brkbeatjunkie
View Post

perhaps your right but i can tell you this. the first version of AI suite included with the ASUS m3n72-d am2 sli mobo monitored the fsb at 1200mhz stock. I have a pic of it:

and the new version i downloaded a few weeks ago shows the HT clock:

So what do you make of the first pic? it definitely used to monitor the fsb freq

Definitely just ASUS using the 'generic' term FSB instead of the 'specific' term HyperTransport.

·
Climbin' in yo windows
1,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the pharaoh View Post
Definitely just ASUS using the 'generic' term FSB instead of the 'specific' term HyperTransport.

Ok lemme explain:

at stock settings the old ASUS ai suite said 1200mhz fsb, while the new version of ai suite says the HT, at stock settings mind you, 2000mhz.

you can look at cpu-z for yourself on the same pic, the ht clock is at 2000mhz while the fsb remains at 1200mhz

look at cpu-z for the ht link and then look at ai suite at the fsb clock. does this picture disprove your theory? im asking btw...
LL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brkbeatjunkie
View Post

Ok lemme explain:

at stock settings the old ASUS ai suite said 1200mhz fsb, while the new version of ai suite says the HT, at stock settings mind you, 2000mhz.

you can look at cpu-z for yourself on the same pic, the ht clock is at 2000mhz while the fsb remains at 1200mhz

look at cpu-z for the ht link and then look at ai suite at the fsb clock. does this picture disprove your theory? im asking btw...

I see what you're getting at there
didn't quite realize - my best guess: the second "1" is supposed to be a "9" - notice how close it would match your CPU-Z reading if that were the case! I bet it was updated to correct the incorrect reading of that value.

Great username ya got BTW ;D

·
Climbin' in yo windows
1,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the pharaoh
View Post

I see what you're getting at there
didn't quite realize - my best guess: the second "1" is supposed to be a "9" - notice how close it would match your CPU-Z reading if that were the case! I bet it was updated to correct the incorrect reading of that value.

Great username ya got BTW ;D

the ht link has a 10x multiplier while the fsb operated off a 6x multi.

I have many OC's that say 265mhz for the reference clock and 2650mhz for the ht and 1580mhz for the fsb.

**Thanks - i like my username too! download my mix in ma sig! im working on another this summer.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallen Angel -X
View Post

Ty

my Motherborad

DFI-SLI-DR
400/800FSB-DDR
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=519128

had her up to 500/1GHz FSB but she would not go into "verifying pool data"
RAM was holding me back

1 - 20 of 21 Posts