Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello My Overclocking Family:

Since Windows will stop updating Windows XP (64-bit) I am forced to upgrade to Windows 7. I was going to do it anyways but because of time constraints I have not being able to.

Now this brings and interesting question. Should I buy Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) or should I buy Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)? There is a large price difference between the two. I am the regular run of the mill gamer. I do not run a massive company on my rig, just regular use, Netflix, HBO, Star Trek Online, etc, etc, etc.

Any opinions on what to get would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ivanopochtli...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
buy windows 7 pro as the only difference between it and ultimate is pro has the windows games turned off so employees won't be playing games instead of working.
but you can turn on all the windows games in control panel since when you install it on your system you will be the administrator.
I have windows 7 pro on my 3 systems and my wife has ultimate on her laptop and the only difference I see is the windows games,
and pro has a few more features then ultimate for backing up etc.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Here is a good chart of what the differences are between the two OS's.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

There is not really anything in Ultimate that would improve your gaming experience.

Most of the extra features in Ultimate are more enterprise oriented... like Bitlocker encryption, better remote desktop audio and display, better Virtual Desktop interfaces... etc.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

buy windows 7 pro as the only difference between it and ultimate is pro has the windows games turned off so employees won't be playing games instead of working.
Um, no....the differences between the Pro & Ultimate edition is that the latter has bitlocker and a few other features not present in the Pro edition. I can't recall all of them, but bitlocker is definitely one of them. If I can find a link I will post back here. As far as turning off the games (such as Freecell & Mine sweeper), you can do that in BOTH editions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanopochtli View Post

Now this brings and interesting question. Should I buy Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) or should I buy Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)? There is a large price difference between the two. <./snip>
Just get the Pro x64 edition. Much like yourself, i do some gaming every once in a while and run various applic. - none of it requires the Ultimate edition. I've been running Win7 Pro x64 pretty much ever since it came out - it's an excellent OS and you will not regret it. Also if you live in the United States, it is going to be very difficult for you find any retailer that sells Win7 of any kind as Microsoft has officially stopped selling it as of recent.

If you're really curious as to all the differences, here they are:

Features present in Ultimate (not included with Pro edition)
  • BitLocker Drive Encryption - As opposed to EFS, which uses file system level encryption, BitLocker uses full disk encryption.
  • Ability to switch between 35 different languages instantly
  • AppLocker - Ability to block software from running on the computer
  • BranchCache - Allows for fast file access across a WAN
  • Direct boot from VHD - Ability for a computer to boot from a VHD file with or without a host operating system
  • DirectAccess - Keeps mobile users connected while on the go
  • Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) enhancements
Taken from SOURCE:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/difference-between-windows-7-home-professional-and-ultimate/

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaChosenOne View Post

Um, no....the differences between the Pro & Ultimate edition is that the latter has bitlocker and a few other features not present in the Pro edition. I can't recall all of them, but bitlocker is definitely one of them. If I can find a link I will post back here. As far as turning off the games (such as Freecell & Mine sweeper), you can do that in BOTH editions.
Um my windows 7 pro has bitlocker, and I know you can turn windows games on or off in both but in pro the games are turned
off by default when you install the operating system but must have admin rights to turn them on in pro, if you install pro on your
own system then you are the admin anyway so you can turn them on.my pro version also has the 35 different languages that I can switch, I just had to install them after I installed the operating system.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Quote:

Just get the Pro x64 edition. Much like yourself, i do some gaming every once in a while and run various applic. - none of it requires the Ultimate edition. I've been running Win7 Pro x64 pretty much ever since it came out - it's an excellent OS and you will not regret it. Also if you live in the United States, it is going to be very difficult for you find any retailer that sells Win7 of any kind as Microsoft has officially stopped selling it as of recent.

If you're really curious as to all the differences, here they are:

Features present in Ultimate (not included with Pro edition)
  • BitLocker Drive Encryption - As opposed to EFS, which uses file system level encryption, BitLocker uses full disk encryption.
  • Ability to switch between 35 different languages instantly
  • AppLocker - Ability to block software from running on the computer
  • BranchCache - Allows for fast file access across a WAN
  • Direct boot from VHD - Ability for a computer to boot from a VHD file with or without a host operating system
  • DirectAccess - Keeps mobile users connected while on the go
  • Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) enhancements
Taken from SOURCE:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/difference-between-windows-7-home-professional-and-ultimate/
Microsoft has only stopped selling windows 7 to system manufacturers, you can still buy the disk at any store that sells it.
I just saw at office depot and best buy has all kinds of windows 7, I just bought another windows 7 pro o.e. disk from new egg.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Quote:

Hello My Overclocking Family:

Since Windows will stop updating Windows XP (64-bit) I am forced to upgrade to Windows 7. I was going to do it anyways but because of time constraints I have not being able to.

Now this brings and interesting question. Should I buy Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) or should I buy Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)? There is a large price difference between the two. I am the regular run of the mill gamer. I do not run a massive company on my rig, just regular use, Netflix, HBO, Star Trek Online, etc, etc, etc.

Any opinions on what to get would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ivanopochtli...
I figure since you're running a 14 year old OS, you don't like change. But for the love of all that's holy - just skip Windows 7 and go straight to Windows 8.1. It's faster, more secure, and will extend the support window for at least another 7 years. Windows 7 support will end in six years. LOL.

Greg

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:

Microsoft has only stopped selling windows 7 to system manufacturers....
Only to system manufacturers? I beg to differ.
Microsoft No Longer Selling Windows 7 to Retailers
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-windows-7-retailers-sales-deadline,25326.html

quote:
"Consumers looking to install Windows 7 on their current computers are now out of luck, as Microsoft has quietly discontinued the sale of the operating system as of October 30, 2013."
Quote:

I just saw at office depot and best buy has all kinds of windows 7, I just bought another windows 7 pro o.e. disk from new egg.
Whatever copies you saw at the best buy store were probably copies that they have had in their inventory for a while. Refer to the link above.
Quote:

Um my windows 7 pro has bitlocker,
How you managed to get bitlocker on Pro edition is pretty amazing. Please supply us with screenshots and the exact steps you took to achieve that. I remain unconvinced until then.

This discussion on the Microsoft forum confirms my original statement.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/88b94cae-ef9e-45de-b33d-0ab5f8afe9a4/windows-7-pro-bitlocker

Quote:
BitLocker is unavailable for Windows 7 Professional and it cannot be downloaded and installed. It is available for Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise editions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

I figure since you're running a 14 year old OS, you don't like change. But for the love of all that's holy - just skip Windows 7 and go straight to Windows 8.1. It's faster, more secure, and will extend the support window for at least another 7 years. Windows 7 support will end in six years. LOL.

Greg
I'm not sure about that Greg. Given how old his hardware is, I seriously doubt that he's going to be able to find all the necessary h/w drivers. Plus going from XP GUI to Win8 metro will be a huge jump.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Quote:

I'm not sure about that Greg. Given how old his hardware is, I seriously doubt that he's going to be able to find all the necessary h/w drivers. Plus going from XP GUI to Win8 metro will be a huge jump.
He's not going to have any issues running Windows 8.1 on a Q6600, that motherboard, and a pair of ATI 6950s. Should run quite nicely.

User interface-wise, well, that might be another story.

Greg

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post

I have a windows 7 pro 64-bit copy, and i do seem to remember it having bitlocker as well, ive never used it but im like 95% sure ive seen it in a menu before on that pc.
You "seem to remember" ? or are you absolutely certain that you saw it.

Again to re-emphasize, I found two websites that state bitlocker is NOT available for the Pro edition and below. If you have on your installation, I will be hard pressed to believe that it is true unless I see some screenshots and the steps you took to achieve that. Until then I stand by my original statement

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Quote:

You "seem to remember" ? or are you absolutely certain that you saw it.

Again to re-emphasize, I found two websites that state bitlocker is NOT available for the Pro edition and below. If you have on your installation, I will be hard pressed to believe that it is true unless I see some screenshots and the steps you took to achieve that. Until then I stand by my original statement
You're correct. You need Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate for Bitlocker.

Greg

·
Iconoclast
31,028 Posts
Quote:

Since Windows will stop updating Windows XP (64-bit) I am forced to upgrade to Windows 7.
Why would this force you to upgrade?

XP x64's market share is tiny and it's hardly the focus of most mailware/exploits. If you are using 3rd party browsers and have a hardware firewall, you won't be at much risk unless you habitually engage in foolish activities.
Quote:

I figure since you're running a 14 year old OS
XP x64 is less than nine years old. It was released in April, 2005.

• Rep+
Reactions: Techie007

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

XP x64 is less than nine years old. It was released in April, 2005.
XP x64 was relased in 2005, but it was a line-for-line recompile from the IA64 Itanium build released in 2003. MSFT started internal development and testing on it nearly two years prior to that on production IA64 workstations.

My point was a bit of exaggeration that XP is pretty old, and lacks all of the advancements of OS technology developed in the last "8-10" years. That's an eternity in PC terms.

Greg

·
Iconoclast
31,028 Posts
Quote:

XP x64 was relased in 2005, but it was a line-for-line recompile from the IA64 Itanium build released in 2003. MSFT started internal development and testing on it nearly two years prior to that on production IA64 workstations.
Most OSes are in development and testing for at least as long prior to release.
Quote:

My point was a bit of exaggeration that XP is pretty old, and lacks all of the advancements of OS technology developed in the last "8-10" years. That's an eternity in PC terms.
Eternity or not, I see little practical reason for him to upgrade.

The ability to run DX10/11 games with frame pacing is the only real reason I'd be compelled to switch on his setup.

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
Quote:

Greg
Actually, XP x64 is just 64-bit Windows Server 2003 with the XP Luna interface bolted on, which is based on their work supporting Itanic, but has long outlived MS' support for that abomination. Some software even recognizes XP x64 as Windows Server '03. Windows Server '03 is actually supported until 14 July 2015, and I'm sure that someone will take the updates for it and manage to get them to run on XP x64. I think I read a thread on MSFN not too long ago about doing exactly that, and "unofficially" supporting XP x64 for an extra year.

In any case, I doubt that hacking WS2K3 or XP x64 is a priority for hackers. They're going to be having too much fun hacking all of the 32-bit unsupported XP machines that will still be around next month.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
DaChosenOne, I understand what you mean about the hardware. I installed MS WIN 7 PRO SP1 64-BIT OEM and It looks like I have to change my motherboard and the chipset. What do you think about these two:

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W 6-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

and

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

What do you think???

Ivanopochtli...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
TLDR

To answer your question, just get Pro unless you want bitlocker encryption. Not sure why there's a 2 page thread explaining this... but then I didn't bother reading any of it either. lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts