Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently overclocked my AMD 955 C3 and ATI 4850 and I think one of those overclocks is causing my PC to reboot at random times. I have overclocked the following:

cpu (in the bios) - 3.8 ghz, 1.3625 voltage, 2400 northbridge, defaults were 3.2 /3.500/2000

video card (in ATI Overdrive) - 650/1030, defaults were 625/993

What happens is the screen will become corrupted with the graphics all over the place, then the computer restarts a second later. The CPU isn't overheating because I've been checking the temperature during games and it only goes to about 51 degrees.

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts
Sounds like the gpu drop it to stock and see if it still happens.

·
Custom User Title
3,652 Posts
That a lot of voltage.

But IDK I never Oc'd a Amd chip.

Try lowering the GPU clocks to normal ( might not be stable ) and see if its reboots.

·
Loosing Vision
1,892 Posts
is your PCIe bus at 100mhz may not mean much but some boards have that either Auto or manual set..

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM
View Post

That a lot of voltage.

Keep in mind that his chip has an integrated memory controller on the die as opposed to on the motherboard like yours. A lot of people forget that when trying to compare power consumption.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Sounds like your GPU but are you running windows Vista or 7? Most of the time the driver simply restarts.
What PSU are you using? Has it hung at all?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Somenoob
View Post

Sounds like your GPU but are you running windows Vista or 7? Most of the time the driver simply restarts.
What PSU are you using? Has it hung at all?

Windows 7 64 bit

This is the PSU I have, I know it's not great but I'll be upgrading it in the future:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817148027

And no the computer never hangs when this happens, just screws up the graphics and reboots during games. It's only happened maybe once a day after a few hours of playing.

Quote:

is your PCIe bus at 100mhz

Yes

·
Loosing Vision
1,892 Posts
I think it could be a PSU and GPU related. I just removed a 700w PSU and put in a SeaSonic X750 and now my stuff works fine. My monitors sleep and wake unlike before..

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
If I had to make an educated guess I would say its your PSU. A good efficient 500 Watt PSU should be able to handle your overclock but that unit is probably struggling. I'm pretty conservative so I would scale back the overclocks.
Make sure you upgrade to a good unit. The PSU is the one unit where you do not skimp.
First I would try backing down your GPU overclock first and try a gaming session.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
First, go to User CP and click on Edit System so we know what equipment you have. Second I would put the GPU back to stock as a way of eliminating that as a cause. Too many variables right now. That's why it's best to change one thing at a time and then test.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hahaha! Sorry Intel guys, just a tad use to your low volt chips eh?

1.3625 volt is not enough for 3.8GHz with AMD chips (unless you got a special chip). Try Increasing your CPU voltage to 1.4 - 1.45V and see what happens. The problem the you described sounds like something I use to get and the answer would be more vcore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright I think I determined it's being caused by not enough voltage to the CPU. I tested it by raising it to 1.4, then raised the video card clocks a lot higher just to stress it. The computer didn't hang but the video card driver crashed. Now at 1.4v and the video card slightly overclocked things seem to be stable. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts