Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put thermalfusion 400 on my cpu it said 0 curing time.

I have AS5 says that it has a curing time?

What is curing?

and what is burn in time?

Thanks In Advance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prideless View Post
I put thermalfusion 400 on my cpu it said 0 curing time.

I have AS5 says that it has a curing time?

What is curing?

and what is burn in time?

Thanks In Advance.
curing time is the time it takes for it to reach max performance... to say it in a simplified manner

Burn in time means the same
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
^ what he said.

Some TIMs are recommended to "cure" in 12 hours; which means that you should wait 12 hours from when you apply it and when you turn it on. I don't curing time means much for the temps though.. on my first build I just applied AS5 and powered it on, on my second build I waited 12 hours but didn't see any difference in the temps.. Burn in time is just another word for cure time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,411 Posts
Means to run your cpu,idle,run it idle,run it,idle a few times before the TIM reaches its makes potential. Can take a few days depending. You usually see around 1-3C lower temps and sometimes non at all. I just stick with good old MX-3(no cure time, carbon,best there is)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberbot View Post
^ what he said.

Some TIMs are recommended to "cure" in 12 hours; which means that you should wait 12 hours from when you apply it and when you turn it on. I don't curing time means much for the temps though.. on my first build I just applied AS5 and powered it on, on my second build I waited 12 hours but didn't see any difference in the temps.. Burn in time is just another word for cure time.
It doesn't cure cold, or else it would cure in the tube. It needs heat for an extended period of time to set.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,430 Posts
Thermal cycling is what sets/cures thermal compounds.

Going from cool to very warm, repeatedly, will cure significantly faster than prolonged high temps.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Thermal cycling is what sets/cures thermal compounds.

Going from cool to very warm, repeatedly, will cure significantly faster than prolonged high temps.
^this.

Burn in time can also refer to the unproven practice of overvolting a CPU and stressing it for ages to supposedly get better clocks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha View Post
^this.

Burn in time can also refer to the unproven practice of overvolting a CPU and stressing it for ages to supposedly get better clocks.

I wouldnt say unproven.

It varies on the chip and sometimes it works well and sometimes not so much.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,678 Posts
To speed up curring time AS5, run prime95 for several hours then idle, then shut down, for a few hours then start the process all over again. (Burning in) means the same.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha View Post
^this.

Burn in time can also refer to the unproven practice of overvolting a CPU and stressing it for ages to supposedly get better clocks.

That term applies to any bit of hardware really.

Generally burn-in in this sense is a myth. Electronics usually just wear out.

However, there are a few exceptions. Only confirmed case I've seen is old Winbond memory (BH-6, BH-5, revised CH-5), which really did OC better after being tortured.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top