Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got a computer a few days ago... results that it won't boot, and I'm not sure whats dead/damaged/fried; this is what I know:

-It's a P3 Katmai, 450Mhz Slot 1; Soyo SY-6BB v1.0 Mobo; 2x16Mb Dimm; Cirrus Logic PCI 1Mb video card.
-It won't boot going to the basics: cpu, 1 stick of ram, video card.
-Mobo will do a repeating high-low beeps, apparently award cpu code error.
-CPU... It boots on another mobo(OLD HP), but it identifies cpu as: i(Unknown) - 450Mhz
-Ram is ok, tested with other 2 mobo's
-Video card is ok, tested with another mobo.
-A capacitor next to cpu socket has some orange-brown stuff on top, looks like rust; moves around a bit compared to other capacitors. A few of them look kinda different.

Now, I thought it was the mobo, but if it's fried/damaged, then why does it give a error code? The cpu booted on another mobo, it wasn't identified as a Pentium 3, but speed came up correctly; could the CPU be somehow damaged?
Everything else works fine, so it has to be mobo/cpu problem. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
I think the mobo is a dud. It would give error message because some parts of it are still running. The voltage goes through, but the mobo can't get to work. Just my speculation.

Where'd you get the PC anyways?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipnogg

I think the mobo is a dud. It would give error message because some parts of it are still running. The voltage goes through, but the mobo can't get to work. Just my speculation.

Where'd you get the PC anyways?

Yea, might be that; I'm gonna try to get another cpu, see if it works.

LOL... in the trash; saw it and thought it could still work.

·
Registered
219 Posts
mmm try turning the mobo on with nothing... see if it beeps or anything if it gives you the same error.. then its your mobo.. of it gives you adiffferent error..then two things it is your mobo, or its oyur mobo =] . if oyur cpu comes up and stuff on other computers , theres no way its the cpu. as you said everything else works so its not that. your best bet would be to find another cpu that fits the socket and try it in the mobo. if it works then... thats wierd. =] -trey

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Action Trey!

how'd you get 230 rep points.. if your can't trouble shoot? not trying to be rude.. i just want the rep points i thi9nk i deserve =].... ill delet this post in a litle while so itdoesnt take up space. =]

HAHAHA...n1....i agree...oh, and i'm so flattered i made it into your sig.....did i make that comment to you, but i remember when i did it, just cant remember who to....anyway..back to the task at hand...

Judging by that cap, your mobo is most likely fried....i hate post beeps....i love my asus cause it gives me audible messages...IE it tells me when i f*cked something up...and it does it politely

But anywho, i would try to pop in another cpu and see, but i beleive that is a mobo problem...where exactly is the cap located, because if it is on a specific trace that runs the FSB, it can translate itself as a CPU error.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Action Trey!

mmm try turning the mobo on with nothing... see if it beeps or anything if it gives you the same error.. then its your mobo.. of it gives you adiffferent error..then two things it is your mobo, or its oyur mobo =] . if oyur cpu comes up and stuff on other computers , theres no way its the cpu. as you said everything else works so its not that. your best bet would be to find another cpu that fits the socket and try it in the mobo. if it works then... thats wierd. =] -trey

Well... I didn't mention that cause I thought it didn't have any importance; as far as I know the bios needs the cpu to work, so if there's no cpu, there's no error... meaning that the mobo/bios "works"? Wierd.. I guess the best I can do is try out both on entirely different systems see what happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r

Judging by that cap, your mobo is most likely fried....i hate post beeps....i love my asus cause it gives me audible messages...IE it tells me when i f*cked something up...and it does it politely

But anywho, i would try to pop in another cpu and see, but i beleive that is a mobo problem...where exactly is the cap located, because if it is on a specific trace that runs the FSB, it can translate itself as a CPU error.

lol @ your mobo.
The capacitor is right next to the socket, and those funny looking ones too. *sigh*

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
no, bios doesn;t necissarilly need CPU to actually work. Sometimes, esp on older computers, the BIOS chip can run primary functions for bios, but it won't go past post, but it will run the system config, but just not show any CPU

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r

no, bios doesn;t necissarilly need CPU to actually work. Sometimes, esp on older computers, the BIOS chip can run primary functions for bios, but it won't go past post, but it will run the system config, but just not show any CPU

Now that you say that.. I remember a friend that had a computer running without a cpu installed. Although he was running win 3.1; maybe a integrated cpu, or a 486 he had laying around.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DataX

Yea, might be that; I'm gonna try to get another cpu, see if it works.

LOL... in the trash; saw it and thought it could still work.

Yeah, that's what I assumed. That explains the rust.
sknahT for the peR.

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
if the capacitor is swollen at the top it means that the liquid in it is dried out! when it dries out it doesen't work anymore and the orange-brown stuff is either rust or some of the liquid coming out.

try finding a new mobo

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillaxed

if the capacitor is swollen at the top it means that the liquid in it is dried out! when it dries out it doesen't work anymore and the orange-brown stuff is either rust or some of the liquid coming out.

try finding a new mobo

XD
yea, that's exactly how they look... oh well I guess that means a new mobo; thanks.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Steps to solve your problem:
1. assemble the proper tools, propane torch, biggest hammer/maul/ax you can buy, credit card, and a trash can

2. remove the motherboard and put on a firm surface with all the working componets removed

3. bust the thing up good with the BFH

4. Seeing that landfill size is limited, torch it

5. put the remains in a trash can or burry them, your choice here...

6. Wip out that credit card and go to newegg or ebay and buy another board

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazed and confused

Steps to solve your problem:
1. assemble the proper tools, propane torch, biggest hammer/maul/ax you can buy, credit card, and a trash can

2. remove the motherboard and put on a firm surface with all the working componets removed

3. bust the thing up good with the BFH

4. Seeing that landfill size is limited, torch it

5. put the remains in a trash can or burry them, your choice here...

6. Wip out that credit card and go to newegg or ebay and buy another board

ROFL
I'm just gonna confirm it's dead and I might have a few idea's of my own..

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Some of those old motherboards are limited with ram speed, what are you using, 133mhz, 100mhz, 66mhz, I have alot of old slot one's. some can only use certain cpu's also.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrabb1920

Some of those old motherboards are limited with ram speed, what are you using, 133mhz, 100mhz, 66mhz, I have alot of old slot one's. some can only use certain cpu's also.

It's PC100.. unless it's PC66, but I think thats my old simm ram. I don't think it's being limited by ram, cause I already checked the mobo's specs, also it seems to have a good reputation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts