Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im confused to hell about folding, i dont wanna get slaughtered by spam or get a virus or something like that for asking this lol, but whats folding?

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
folding.stanford.edu

Basically, you are donating your left over CPU power to Stanford for doing simulations on how proteins fold, misfold, don't fold, and uhh stuff. Check out the site.

·
Registered
126 Posts
sorry but i'm new here. can someone explain the whole concept? to me... i'd gladly do something for overclock.net if i knew what it was i had to do...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im a little confused, everyone is saying fold/folding/folder what the hell does it mean?!!?
Can someone elighten me please?

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,920 Posts
can somebody explain folding for a OC no0b like me?

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
proteins misfolding can be cause for disease and so investigating how they fold and what happens when they fold a certain way can help prevent disease. Instead of running the complicated processor intensive tasks on a supercomputer it is more effiicient to distribute the software to computer users and let their unused processor bandwidth do the calculations. Folding runs your cpu's usage at 100% permentantly but does not take priority over anything. Folding can be done in teams which compete against each other so folding for oc.net helps science and the forums. so download the program and get started!
hope this helps

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well... it's more like a client thing. It simulates protein folding and then submits the results over to Stanford U. After that, depending on the Work Unit (WU) you will get points, and if you're in a team, your team will also get points. Overclock.net's team is now on the 171st place out of 35495 teams. When you submit a work unit, you're getting points for yourself as well as the overclock.net team.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
soo the goal is to get tons of points? what does this do for oc.net if its not like small partitions of a server?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well, yea, the goal is to get tons of points. More points means a higher rank, and the overclock.net's team also gets a higher rank when you fold for them.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
Well.... I'm in a pickle
I have:
Celeron proc(500-499MHz depending when you turn it on lol) mobo and cd-rw+dvd-rom
Now i dont have the orig hdd i found this old ass 3gb one with 95 on it. Apparently 95 needs drivers for roms? if you or anyone could help me find drivers for these id "fold" lol.
Model no: CRX100e

Oh plus i have another comp very similar to this and another one but it has a 20gb hdd that needs an os lol

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
its really not worth running 95 for any reason whatsoever. you should get a copy of 98, install your 20gb hdd and run from that. you can get a cheap os from ebay or something like that.

·
Registered
840 Posts
God, 500Mhz CPUs are not worth getting them to fold... they can take weeks to do one Work Unit lol and that sucks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts