Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q. What is Folding?

A. Folding is installing a program onto your computer that uses your unused processing power to fold protein strands to help medical science more quickly find and develop cures for diseases.

Q. What Operating Systems will it run on?

A. Windows, Linux and MacOsX.

Q. Are there are viruses, bugs or spyware in the FAH software?

A. NO, the software is clean, it only pulls and sends back the work units to the source server.

For any other questions that you have, please feel free to visit the FAH FAQs on the FAH website or post questions here.
Click Here to check the Overclock.net folding team stats

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot
Q. What is Folding?

A. Folding is installing a program onto your computer that uses your unused processing power to fold protein strands to help medical science more quickly find and develop cures for diseases.

Q. What Operating Systems will it run on?

A. Windows, Linux and MacOsX.

Q. Are there are viruses, bugs or spyware in the FAH software?

A. NO, the software is clean, it only pulls and sends back the work units to the source server.

For any other questions that you have, please feel free to visit the FAH FAQs on the FAH website or post questions here.

Click Here to check the Overclock.net folding team stats

how can i joint the folding team?
also, i don't quite understand it.. plz go into more detail.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
ok, ya download it and a tray icon will appear after you install it. right click and hit configure. in the team box, type 37726. in the name box, type in your oc.net username.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCnerd2357
ok, ya download it and a tray icon will appear after you install it. right click and hit configure. in the team box, type 37726. in the name box, type in your Overclock.Net username.
Alfter you finish your first work unit you post your folding name at http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=3050, and as soon as Admin gets a chance he will add your folding icon.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipnogg
does my CPU need to be super high Ghz to be able to fold?
no....but the faster the better...i have a 1g P3 folding 24/7.....

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa190

no....but the faster the better...i have a 1g P3 folding 24/7.....

is mine good enough?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

is mine good enough?

any computer can fold, and your is definately good enough to help.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
so, after i do all that, do i just leave the program alone? or do i need to open it once in a while?

and the admin says that i should list my name on the FAH website, but how?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

so, after i do all that, do i just leave the program alone? or do i need to open it once in a while?

and the admin says that i should list my name on the FAH website, but how?

The program will automatically run in the background whenever your computer is on, and as for you showing, you sould post your folding name in the thread titled "Folder check in here" in the folding section when your first Work Unit is completed.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Would I Know If My First Work Unit Is Complete When The Large Pie Chart Thing Goes All The Way Around?

BY THE WAY, THIS IS TO HELP MEDICAL RESEARCH IS IT NOT?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Would I Know If My First Work Unit Is Complete When The Large Pie Chart Thing Goes All The Way Around?

BY THE WAY, THIS IS TO HELP MEDICAL RESEARCH IS IT NOT?

You will know when the first one is complete when the section that is title Finished WUs is 1.

And yes this is to help medical research to find ways to prevent and/or cure diseases.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
WOW! This is so cool! I'm very proud to be a part of it.

Thank you very much for giving me such a good opportunity.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The project has alot of potential and we are all proud to be part of it, the best thing you can do to try to help both the Overclock.net folding team and the folding project is to try to recruit more machines to fold for the cause.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
could i tell other people with computers about it so they could join also?

and would it be better if i left the Comp. on 24/7?

and how would the data of the folding be sent? whenever i connect to the internet?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

could i tell other people with computers about it so they could join also?

and would it be better if i left the Comp. on 24/7?

Of course, share the project with everyone that your can.

It doesn't matter how long the comp is on, it will eventually finish the project, have a comp that is only folding 6 hours a day is better than one that is not folding.

The program can be installed on any computer, so don't think that putting it on a P3 won't help.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

Of course, share the project with everyone that your can.

It doesn't matter how long the comp is on, it will eventually finish the project, have a comp that is only folding 6 hours a day is better than one that is not folding.

The program can be installed on any computer, so don't think that putting it on a P3 won't help.

okok. thank you very much for ur courteous answers.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostnhell

The program will automatically run in the background whenever your computer is on, and as for you showing, you sould post your folding name in the thread titled "Folder check in here" in the folding section when your first Work Unit is completed.

is the folding going to be finished after one work unit or would it keep going?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

is the folding going to be finished after one work unit or would it keep going?

It will be continous until the entirer project is finished, which may take years.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
how can i get my name listed on the website that admin put up in "Folders check in here" thread?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts