Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for being a noob and asking a noob question. Flame me all you want, i rather be a noob now then being a noob everyday wondering what it is.

So whats gary's mod? How it works and what is needed to run it?

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
Just an open pallet of world to play around with the source engine you can spawn anything in edit the world etc.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Ahh, Garry's Mod. One of my all-time favorites, and the reason I'm even here in the first place.

Gmod is a simple game. You are given the Source engine, a bunch of tools, some props, and cut loose to do, and I kid you not, whatever the eff you want to do. Want to pose alyx and kliener in naughy positions? Want to build a working hovercraft? Want to blow -beep- up? HAVE FUN!

It's a great buy for 10 bucks. Literally the only limitations as to what you can do in Gmod are A: Your imagination and B: What the game engine can do. Maybe you can also count "If you don't have x prop you can't build Y contraption", but I'm not sure about that.

To run it, you require:

Windows
A computer that can run any Source engine game
A Source engine game, as Garry's Mod is a mod and does not ship with the engine itself
Steam

I recommend buying the CSS + Gmod pack if you don't already own CSS. Most maps and mods for Gmod use CSS resources. I also suggest buying the Orange Box. Not only do you get a ton of badass games for pennies, but you also get props and models from them for use in Gmod. Gmod will mount any Source game released by Valve except Left 4 Dead 1 and 2. The community, however, has provided L4D 1/2 model packs should you want to use models from those games.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
A Source engine mod that combines models, maps, and materials from games like HL2, CSS and TF2 (if you own them) Etc. and gives you a huge array of tools to

- Build
- pose
- launch
- explode
- spawn
- stretch
- turn into a car, flying machine, or boat

.etc. You make the fun with a bunch of provided tools.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Gmod is limited to very little things.

You wanna build a space craft? You can.
Wanna build a car? You can.
Wanna role play? You can.
Wanna death match? You can.
Wanna make a gun store? You can.
Wanna make an awesome base/fort? You can.

I can go on, and on.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Can you drive in it?

Yeah, you can.

The HL2 Fanboat, buggy, and Musclecar are in it, and you can build your own vehicles to drive.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Can you drive in it?

Yup. You can drive HL2 universe cars, download packs of real world ones, or do like I do and build one from misc props and physics exploits.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I own a Half-life2. My friend brought it as a gift in China. Comes with the CD key. I dont know if its legit or not.. Seriously i dont know. But the box and everything included looks decent Enough.. will that count?

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Few questions:

1.) Can I make (and then watch) a huge epic battle between the soldiers and antlions?

2.) So can it be like in the Far Cry 2 sandbox, where I can pile a crapload of explosive barrels together, shoot one, and watch what happens?

3.) How steep would you guys say the learning curve is? Every time I think of getting this, I go onto the Facepunch forums and soon change my mind because it sounds like you need to know a lot of nitpicks to get your projects to come to life.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mad Mule
View Post

Few questions:

1.) Can I make (and then watch) a huge epic battle between the soldiers and antlions?

Yup. The AI is quite stupid and laggy, though. The soldiers won't move more than 15-20 feet from where you spawn them.

Quote:

2.) So can it be like in the Far Cry 2 sandbox, where I can pile a crapload of explosive barrels together, shoot one, and watch what happens?

Yes. As a matter of fact doing this on public servers is usually grounds for being permabanned as it can crash the game and/or the server. You have an upper limit of barrels, 999, before you get a "Error: no free edicts" error and the game exits.

Quote:

3.) How steep would you guys say the learning curve is? Every time I think of getting this, I go onto the Facepunch forums and soon change my mind because it sounds like you need to know a lot of nitpicks to get your projects to come to life.

Depends on what you want to build as to how steep it is. If you want to play with expressions and write you're own it's steeper than the side of the Empire State, but if you just wanna build things that throw ragdolls around it's as flat as a desert.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have this and dont play it much... reason? I just cba with all the constant downloads when you go into servers, I dont have the imagination to come up with fun stuff - thus get bored easily.

But its a great game, just depends on what you're interested in.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Cheers for the reply, TestECull. I guess I'm more of the kind of person who just likes to cause havoc, not have to build it first.

That being said, I just installed Just Cause 2, so that should help keep me off the streets for a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

You can wreak havoc in Gmod if you want to. Spawning AI + a nuke is always amusing.

Ah, I just re-read your last post...my lack of sleep is really throwing me off.

Sounds good, but what you said about the AI still bums me out...it sounds like having AI with ADD is no fun when you want pretty cinematic battles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts