Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm currently on a prescott 550 (LGA775) P4 3.4ghz with a Corsair 512x2 DDR2 PC-5400 memory (4-4-4-12) , GigaByte 8I915P Duo -A Mobo
right now I'm using the 14x multiplyer instead of 17x.. i'm using the 14x in order to make use out of the ram at a 3:4 ratio (fsb:ram)
fsb right now is 251 (x14) = 3.51ghz
and the memory is 335mhz (x2) at SPD timings (4-4-4-12)

however, my current vcore is 1.328v and my vdimm is now +0.1v.. dont ask me why but it only is stable when its +0.1v :s

I can go for 4ghz but not with the 14x multiplyer as my system is never stable at this point (dont ask me why)
but when using the 17x multiplyer i can hit 4ghz with the 3:4 ratio,, but the downside is that i still wont be making full performance out of my memory..
I tried so many different combinations of lowering timings/changing divider and those things.. but nothing really is stable except my current setup.
heat is never a problem for me right now.. even when going 4ghz using the 14x multiplyer

I'm current using 2 HDDs (1xSATA 1xATA133), a DVD-RW and another CD-Rom, 3 case fans, with some nonbranded 450w psu.. and below is the screenshot for the psu specifications

my main concern is, is it the psu that is holding me back from pushing my overclock further and causing the system to restart itself and not boot?
the reason I thought its my psu is because of its low amps on the 12v rail compared to the other people who got their systems pushed hard..
and btw, the PCI-e/AGP frequency is locked

thanks alot, any help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
I think its the PSU. I've heard others on here talking about needing more then 25amps to get stable OC's. I only need 10amps (all my PSU has) to reach 3.4 from 2.4, but thats because I'm running a Celeron, lol.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

I think its the PSU. I've heard others on here talking about needing more then 25amps to get stable OC's. I only need 10amps (all my PSU has) to reach 3.4 from 2.4, but thats because I'm running a Celeron, lol.

That's right!! Especially if you got a power greedy GeForce 6800!! I get nice OC's with my Antec 550, and it has 32 or 34A on the 12v. Even if you had enough amps, those generic PSU's never get close to 60% of their rated wattage (they QA them in meat lockers!), so I am sure that is your problem, especially with the power hungry Prescott.

BTW what are your temps on the Pressy? Mine, even with the Thermalright XP-120 are coming in around 48* without a load (case temp 25*)..... Haven't tried it with a load....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ic,
my current temps on the 3.51ghz with the "smart fan" disabled (so, running stock fan at full speed of 2600rpm) is 30 idle and 50 load.. but thats just because i'm currently having my case opened.. however.. when closed + proper air flow.. its 35c/52c on the 3.51ghz..

if the problem is from the psu .. then what would you guys suggest something good for oc'ing? something thats not too expensive but is still considered good for ocing and stability issues..

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
shermstix said:
BTW what are your temps on the Pressy? Mine, even with the Thermalright XP-120 are coming in around 48* without a load (case temp 25*)..... Haven't tried it with a load....[/QUOTE
You sure you put it on there right? lol, I don't think you should be getting temps like that with an XP-120?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
ShawnMcGrail said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

BTW what are your temps on the Pressy? Mine, even with the Thermalright XP-120 are coming in around 48* without a load (case temp 25*)..... Haven't tried it with a load....[/QUOTE
You sure you put it on there right? lol, I don't think you should be getting temps like that with an XP-120?

Yup!, And I used a pea size dot of Arctic Silver. I am going to try it under a load. Plus I am starting to think that my mobo is reading the temps wrong. Even when the PC was off all night and the thermometer in my room is about 70*F, the instant I turn it on and enter the BIOS, the case temp is already reading 78*F. I am willing to bet the mobo is 8-10 degrees off. Do you know of a 3rd party app that will let me monitor my CPU temps?

I didn't mean to get
, so if I need any more info after this question, I'll start a new thread. THNX.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Well do you put a drop of AS5 on the cpu then slap on the heatsink? I know that I have to spread mine on since its a very cheap and viscous (but good) thermal paste. *Plus, AS5 is supposed to have 24hours (10 load cycles, 10 idles cycles, 10 load cycles, I think..) to work in right?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

Well do you put a drop of AS5 on the cpu then slap on the heatsink? I know that I have to spread mine on since its a very cheap and viscous (but good) thermal paste. *Plus, AS5 is supposed to have 24hours (10 load cycles, 10 idles cycles, 10 load cycles, I think..) to work in right?

Well, when you put a thick drop on, it spreads itself out with the pressure of the heatsink. I am going to let it soak in for a good 24hours this weekend, and do some hardcore MOHPA!!!

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
i'm glad you guys are talking about this because i've always needed info on this stuff and i've never got a chance to start a thread

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

i'm glad you guys are talking about this because i've always needed info on this stuff and i've never got a chance to start a thread

Np, but in your sig, wheres the Celeron page?
lol

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

Celerons are trash. So many people don't know about them so i thought not many people would care.

thats harsh dude, not every1 can afford a p4 or just want to expose the celerons oc power. anyway shawn i suppose u cd post it on the northwood page. it runs on the northwood core right? who needs these celeron haters!

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xRo0t

thanks for ruining the subject and going way off topic :/

Dosen't matterm, The important Question of the post was answered. Now its up to you to find a good PSU of your choice... lol

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
as some of us would suspect that your psu is on the low side of things everything else seems to be up to par for a 4ghz oc....

well i have two solutions one is better than the other and the third solution costs money ....

one :::: try and dump some peripherals
like get rid of your cdrom drives and one hard drive and any lighting you have in your case... and if you can swap a elcheapo video card in for testing porpuses do this as well....
this will allow you to push your fsb a little more and see if this works and check your voltages.....

if this works either move to step three or try step two

step two :::::: rig a psu to run your other devices

have a spare PSU???
rig it to turn on with no mobo...
instructions should be linked in my signature under power supply with no mother or something like that.....

step three is buy a real power supply...
in the end this what you will need to do...

well this should have helped you so let me know if this all works...

ive only pushed my cpu a little bit and im at that with aircooling and i am using a 3.25e

buty i do have one of the best PSUs in the world

antec true control is awesome for overclocking.... adjustable rails...

nice anyways if your having trouble with step two just PM me and ill get back to you or ask some of the others in here...
im sure plague, noaffinity and lando95 know how too...
but thats just if you cant find me

Burn a chip.....
as aposed to break a leg....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
spooked,
this definately helps.. gonna try step1 for now just for problem analysis sake.. and as for 2.. dont think I have extra one right now.. but I'll see what happens and pretty much I know what I have to do later..
Thanks alot dude,

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
go join freecycle...
www.freecycle.org

this site is for people who want to give away free shtuff
it will take a few for them to give you access but its worth it...
jump in there and say wanted power supply from a computer
and in like a day there should be some emails in your box from people willing to give you there old psu...

i just found my dream case... its old and fugly but its got space for water cooling and a peltier...

this site is god since the rules are that you cant sell anything on this site

good luck

dont forget the reps man

1 - 17 of 17 Posts