Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new Asus v9999 card earlier and ran it through 3DMark05... scoring just over 3000. The forceware drivers im using are version 81.89.

I was expecting a considerably higher score than this to be completely honest, so im putting it down to bottlenecking.

Judging from my specification... what do you think is bottlenecking it?

Cheers.

... oh, and the card is still at stock levels (for now
).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,072 Posts
The low score is likely to be because of your CPU, as 3DMark05 is very CPU dependent. How does it play in games though? Very often this sort of benchmark doesn't really translate to FPS in games.
I left my CPU stock and ran 3DMark05 and scored about 1000 points lower than when overclocked. Ran a performance test in FEAR and only lost 2 FPS on average.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ste

How does it play in games though? Very often this sort of benchmark doesn't really translate to FPS in games.

Funnily enough, I get round abouts the same FPS on average now as I did with my old 5700 on CSS! With the exact same settings!! Im putting that mainly down to the game though (Source engine). Valve are such an incompetent bunch...

I also think that the newer forceware drivers have an adverse effect on certain cards, particularly ASUS ones...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,596 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by t0ffe3m4n

Funnily enough, I get round abouts the same FPS on average now as I did with my old 5700 on CSS! With the exact same settings!! Im putting that mainly down to the game though (Source engine). Valve are such an incompetent bunch...

I also think that the newer forceware drivers have an adverse effect on certain cards, particularly ASUS ones...

I think the 5700le ran in DX8 mode while the game automatically adjusts the new 6800 to DX9 mode, thus not increasing much fps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:


Originally Posted by wudaddy

I think the 5700le ran in DX8 mode while the game automatically adjusts the new 6800 to DX9 mode, thus not increasing much fps.

I compared them in DX7 mode!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
that would be why you got the same results... the source engine, aside from any map with HDR, is VERY CPU limited. so running the game in DX7 will put the bottleneck 99% on your CPU, and seeing as though you used the same CPU in both tests, you'll get the same result. what you will find is that the new Asus card will keep those frames the same as you start to turn up the resolution, settings, etc. etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by t0ffe3m4n

I compared them in DX7 mode!


what numbers are u getting for css stress tests?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by Tobuk

that would be why you got the same results... the source engine, aside from any map with HDR, is VERY CPU limited. so running the game in DX7 will put the bottleneck 99% on your CPU, and seeing as though you used the same CPU in both tests, you'll get the same result. what you will find is that the new Asus card will keep those frames the same as you start to turn up the resolution, settings, etc. etc.

Wow, thank you for clearing that up for me... I never knew that!


Quote:


Originally Posted by mauguai

what numbers are u getting for css stress tests?

In DX7 it is usually around 88fps, around 55 in 8, 8.1, and 9. When I think about it, the difference is very noticable in the higher DX versions... mainly because my other card was rather weak when compared to this one. Having said that, id definately like higher frames than im already getting now... looks like a more powerful CPU is on the "to get" list.

Thanks for the feedback all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
I wouldn't blame it on the cpu, I'd say its a lot more to do with the card itself. When I had my northwood at 2.8ghz the 9800pro scored around 150fps low details and 130 max details in dx7. Your card is definitely more powerful than a 9800 pro.

Even if u maxed out AA/AF I wouldn't expect it to get under 130fps in dx7. Did you remove every trace of the original drivers before putting on the new nvidia forceware (follow this guide if u need to clean out the drivers properly)? Also what is the current AGP speed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
I was wondering about cs:s frame rates myself. When I switched from my old 5200 to my current card I was dissapointed in the frame rates. In dx9 HUGE improvment, from 6-9fps to 70-80, but in dx 8.1 the 5200 ran around 60-70 fps. The 6800 gets almost exactly the same in dx9 as dx8.1 ***. I was looking forward to at least 200fps, I'm reinstalling the original halflife now and will run 1.5 to see my fps in a WON lan.

One more thing, sometimes source reads my cpu as a 7ghz amd, when this happens I get an enormous jump in fps up to almost 200. Anyone know a way I can make source ALWAYS think it's at 7ghz? Right now it'll do it about 5% of the time, next time I catch it imma leave my computer on and never close source


oh yeah, my frame rates also stay the same with all eye candy maxed and all eye candy off. This just doesn't seem right, aa and af alone should make a huge difference but no. No matter what I try I'm always around 70-80fps, except for the 7ghz glitch.

I think ******ed blind monkeys must have programed source. WE WANT WON WE WANT WON WE WANT WON

screenie of the 7ghz glitch \\/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Buddy lee

oh yeah, my frame rates also stay the same with all eye candy maxed and all eye candy off. This just doesn't seem right, aa and af alone should make a huge difference but no. No matter what I try I'm always around 70-80fps


@ 640x480 all settings low aa none af bi gets around 150 stress test
@ 1024x768 all settings MAXED aa6x af16x nets round 130 stress ***
20 fps difference? why...and...what?

I would have run the max test at 1280x960 but at that res. my crap monitor can only run 75hz max and that setting runs source at 75.1hz.....where's the monitor overclocking forum?


I know... I can measure with a stopwatch, the keystrokes, and puases between to test, then screen shot, that would work.

Buddy lee quoted Buddy lee....what a nub
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by mauguai

Did you remove every trace of the original drivers before putting on the new nvidia forceware (follow this guide if u need to clean out the drivers properly)? Also what is the current AGP speed?

It was a fresh installation of Windows!


AGP rate is x8.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top