Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i only know of two OS's: windows and apple's OS (w/e you call it)

anyways... lately i've been hearing about linux and how the apple's OS is based on linux... so i'm like.. WOW that must be super good! then of course why do so many people use windows? i am NOT familiar with linux, and all i know is that it's an OS and... it's name is linux! =\\ so if anyone could give me some useful facts about linux and whether or not i should change my OS (i have a windows XP pro) then that'lll be very useful! thanks!

·
Registered
386 Posts
linux is another OS lol! duh

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
linux is not just another simple os like windows linux is much more complicated and harder to use linux is simply a dos version of windows in which it is more powerful and u can basically do wat ever you want with linux

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technology Rocks!

anyways... lately i've been hearing about linux and how the apple's OS is based on linux... so i'm like.. WOW that must be super good! then of course why do so many people use windows? i am NOT familiar with linux, and all i know is that it's an OS and... it's name is linux! =\\ so if anyone could give me some useful facts about linux and whether or not i should change my OS (i have a windows XP pro) then that'lll be very useful! thanks!

If you didnt nkow what linux was or that there are more hten 2 OS's, then no, you shouldnt change. You need some knowledge beyond the basics to use linux. There are actually hundreds of operating systems. The reason everyone uses windows is because thats all that people know if. They were the first user-friendly and they established market dominance and Microsoft has many deals with companies to bundle their computers with Windows operating systems. Thats why everyone has em and no one cares enough about computers to really go look for new OS's or anything.

and lol guys, i dont think someone who doesnt even know theres more then 2 OS's will understnad what DOS is and what open source means and all that stuff..

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

More people use windows because it is a mass distrubited OS, and many people don't know they have an option.

Linux is a CLI based OS, with multiple GUIs and Distros, it is superb in security, stability and control compared to Windows, it is also free to download off of the internet.

Most all application for Linux are free and very good, but many programs you are used to using incluing many games will not work on linux. I would recommedn you go to www.linuxiso.corg and download Knoppix, it is a linux OS that runs off or CD that you can use to get a feel for it before allocating HHD space for the OS.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto1024

If you didnt nkow what linux was or that there are more hten 2 OS's, then no, you shouldnt change. You need some knowledge beyond the basics to use linux. There are actually hundreds of operating systems. The reason everyone uses windows is because thats all that people know if. They were the first user-friendly and they established market dominance and Microsoft has many deals with companies to bundle their computers with Windows operating systems. Thats why everyone has em and no one cares enough about computers to really go look for new OS's or anything.

and lol guys, i dont think someone who doesnt even know theres more then 2 OS's will understnad what DOS is and what open source means and all that stuff..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

More people use windows because it is a mass distrubited OS, and many people don't know they have an option.

Linux is a CLI based OS, with multiple GUIs and Distros, it is superb in security, stability and control compared to Windows, it is also free to download off of the internet.

Most all application for Linux are free and very good, but many programs you are used to using incluing many games will not work on linux. I would recommedn you go to www.linuxiso.corg and download Knoppix, it is a linux OS that runs off or CD that you can use to get a feel for it before allocating HHD space for the OS.

lol yea.. i don't know what DOS or open source is =\\ and exactly how much better is linux from windows? or vice versa

also... i didn't understand what mfillpot was talking about at all @@ sorry

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Quote:

lol yea.. i don't know what DOS or open source is =\\ and exactly how much better is linux from windows? or vice versa

allrite mate open source means that the public own it and not a company like microsoft

dos means disc op. sys

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oo ok.. i was still wondering if i shuld take the risk to change my OS cuz i don't want to blow my computer up or anything lol. cuz one of my friends said that the apple's OS (what's it's name? OSX?) doesn't get any virus' and he said to change to linux cuz it's better... so i'm like ***?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
here mate u can use a great pc of software called Virtual pc wich acts like a new pc in ue sys u can trail os in there and see if u like them if u do then install them on ur sys. i am running suse linus with no probles along side windows. it sets up it own partions and leaves the windows files alown

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

oo ok.. i was still wondering if i shuld take the risk to change my OS cuz i don't want to blow my computer up or anything lol. cuz one of my friends said that the apple's OS (what's it's name? OSX?) doesn't get any virus' and he said to change to linux cuz it's better... so i'm like ***?

It is alot like Windows but better, to test it go to www.linuxiso.org and download the Knoppix pak, write it on a CD and you have a CD based Linux Os to learn from adn does not take up disk space, when you feel comfortable with Knoppix then you can find another distro to run on your HDD.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

It is alot like Windows but better, to test it go to www.linuxiso.org and download the Knoppix pak, write it on a CD and you have a CD based Linux Os to learn from adn does not take up disk space, when you feel comfortable with Knoppix then you can find another distro to run on your HDD.

aye forgot about Knoppix its a good peice of kit. u can also use suse linux if u download a live cd or dvd version that will boot direct from the dvd or cd. just make susre that ur bios is set to boot from thr cdrom as ur first boot

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scotishhaggis

aye forgot about Knoppix its a good peice of kit. u can also use suse linux if u download a live cd or dvd version that will boot direct from the dvd or cd. just make susre that ur bios is set to boot from thr cdrom as ur first boot

Knoppix is not the best, but for a Linux noob it is a good stepping stone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
are there any risks in trying to tamper with my OS? if i change it to linux how do i change it back? o and thanks for the help!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I recommend that you switch to Linux. If you thought that there were only two operating systems, then I take it that you are relatively new to computers--if this is true, then switching to Linux will be a breeze: you don't have Microsoft-thinking that most people have to "break down" to switch to Linux. Linux used to only be useful for servers and those interested exclusively in software development, but with new distros like Mandrake and Knoppix coming out, Linux is becoming an alternative for desktop computing for the lay person. As someone mentioned, use Knoppix; get the hang of Linux, figure out some of its ins and outs. I would recommend that you use Mandrake after you've gotten the feel for Linux via a liveCD distro (Knoppix), because Mandrakesoft has been working on Mandrake Linux as a desktop distro for quite a while, so it's been pretty fine-tuned, plus it has a pretty good package system (or did, when I used it [many, many years ago]). After you've used Mandrake for a few months, then you'll know what you want to do in the future.

If you ever have Linux questions, www.linuxquestions.org/questions is a great resource.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

are there any risks in trying to tamper with my OS? if i change it to linux how do i change it back? o and thanks for the help!

Runing a live CD will not mess with Windows, when you decide to run Linux from the HDD you can run a dual boot system, and have a choice at startup from WIndows ot Linux, the only risks are messing up the Master Boot Record, but that is easy to fix.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts