Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bentboybbz
what is super pi and how i use, sorry for the noobishness any help is much appreciated

thanks
bentboybbz
It's a benchmarking program that calculated different number lengths of Pi. 32m and 1m are the most common ones to run. Here's a link to download it..

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evolutionsentra
It's a benchmarking program that calculated different number lengths of Pi. 32m and 1m are the most common ones to run. Here's a link to download it..

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36
Ill agree, but as to why people use it, it shows a general performance of CPU and memory for calculating Pi. It stresses the computer, and generally the lower the score (in seconds) you get, the better your computer is. For instance, a really good time on superpi would be under 30 seconds.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use superpi as a touture test to make sure my OC is stable more then anything.

I basically start the full tourture test when I go to bed and when I wake up 5-7hrs later if it's still running and didn't error out I consider it a stable OC.

You could use superpi as a benchmark for the CPU and RAM but as a gamer I like to use benchmarks that use the 3dcard as well as the CPU and RAM to really test the system.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
I don't think superpi runs that long. You'd have to be awake to continuously start the process again. Prime95 and OCCT would be better torture tests.

·
Registered
220 Posts
HAHAH, sorry it's been a busy day.

Yes I was talking about prime95 and not superpi!

Sratch everything I just said.

Yes, superpi will give you a benchmark to base your ram and cpu speed off of.

It is a good util to use if you're making upgrades to your system and what to see the differences.

You can also run superpi along with prime95 to really tax your machine during the time that it runs the superpi test.

Sorry for that mistake, my fridays are always busy and sometimes I type before I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts