Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here are the parts I have for my build so far.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=12995946
All I need to choose now is a PSU, a case, a CPU cooler, and a sound card. If you can recommend me the best PSU for my build (should probably be at least 1000w), the best CPU air cooler in existence, and the best all-purpose soundcard on this page http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20Express%20x1 I'll be all set. But if you don't know any of those, that is fine, as the primary reason for this thread is finding a case. Initially, I was looking for a case small enough to fit on my computer desks computer stand at the bottom, but I realized I would be sacrificing airflow so I decided I would find someplace else to put my case. This, in effect, means that choices are not limited to midtower. So, I want the best case for airflow, cable management, and looks. Note that I have already ordered the 3 SSDs with 2.5 to 3.5 adaptors when they went on sale on Monday (keep in mind that this negates any case complaints about HDD vibration, as SSDs don't vibrate as far as I know). The case should have a side window, and cases like the Antec 1200 with bad windows are okay as long as there is a way for me to buy a modded version with a better window (is FrozenCPU the best source for modded cases or are they overpriced?). So far, what I've seen that has interested me is the Antec 1200 because of what looks like great airflow (is that correct) Corsair 800D with its cable management (although I hear it has horrible airflow, is that true?) Silverstone Ft01 looks okay too, not sure about airflow though because of it's size. I want to get this 920 on air past 4 ghz at the very least. So, that's all I know about cases, now uses your infinite case knowledge to recommend me one!

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
For aircooling the Antec 1200 and CoolerMaster HAF 932 can't be beat.

For watercooling go with the Corsair Obsidian.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
try looking at the lian li dragon series pretty solid case with good air flow and cable management capabilities and it comes from one of the top names in cases... not too sure about a window on it but Im pretty sure thats nothing a lil mod work can fix

or if you want the standard that every1 recommends (including me i just chose to be different this time) get the 1200 or haf for air cooling kings

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

For aircooling the Antec 1200 and CoolerMaster HAF 932 can't be beat.

For watercooling go with the Corsair Obsidian.

For the obsidian the isn't not much airflow. He would have to water cool everything. My friend went from a haf 932 to this case and his gpu on air rose 5-10 degrees. he is water cooling his cpu right now.

Antec 900 v2
Nzxt Tempest evo looks like a good case as well.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
I say one of the following cases would work great:

Antec 1200 - for water or air
Antec 902 - For water or air
HAF 932 or 922 - for water or air

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a benefit from going from a mid like Antec 900 to full like Antec 1200? How does the Silverstone Ft01 compare to Antec 1200/900? Also, are you guys saying that the Antec 1200 is 100% the best case for aircooling? If that is the case, are the stock fans good or do all the fans need to be replaced? Will I need a fan controller? If I need a fan controller, which do I get? If the fans are plugged into the mobo, will they automatically adjust themselves?

EDIT: I forgot to add, what does the Antec case offer in terms of cable management and silence?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
I don't know if the 1200 is the #1 best, but it's really good for the price.

If you're going to be using three graphics cards then you're going to want a full tower case so you get the largest volume of air to soak up the heat, and the the most number of fans possible to move that air around. So the 1200 would be better than the 900/902. The stock Antec fans are pretty good, and they have individual speed controls (lo, mid, hi). They are attached by molex connector, if you want to control your fan speed without opening up the case you'll need to replace the fans and get a fan controller. But I say just set them on mid or high and you'll have more than enough airflow.

·
PC Evangelist
46,955 Posts
Get a CM 840.

·
Registered
889 Posts
op from what i get from your list your already getting the rIIe mobo like mine which comes with a pretty good all around discrete sound card (creative xfi) so I dont think you would need a separate sound card

as far as the stock fans on the 1200 Im currently on 3.2 on air with idle of 37 and load of 58 so they are pretty decent imo but to push beyond 4 id recommend replacing them and getting a fan controller. sunbeams work well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts