Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
You might. Sometimes, a better heatsink or more airflow is all that it takes.

I recommend the Enzotech 780i heatsink if your northbridge layout is similar to the reference.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i've own two dfi boards in the past and the thing that most effected my overclockability was the Mosfet temps! i got the board now in my sig and i put a thermaltake northbridge block on it and it rocks! I'm running 1.61 volts through it and temps rarely go over 40c. the thing is mosfet temps will produce errors in prime/IBT if the temp goes over 55c so I need an active fan on them. Just want you to know that both mosfet temp and NB temps are critical. I'd get aftermarket HS's for all of them but you might not need to integrate them into the loop. what exactly is in your loop and how large is your rad? if I was going to add NB in the loop id seriously consider mosfets in the loop as well! also mosfets are very sensitive to a fan on the bottom of the board as well as the top because they're actually designed to dissipate heat downward!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

i've own two dfi boards in the past and the thing that most effected my overclockability was the Mosfet temps! i got the board now in my sig and i put a thermaltake northbridge block on it and it rocks! I'm running 1.61 volts through it and temps rarely go over 40c. the thing is mosfet temps will produce errors in prime/IBT if the temp goes over 55c so I need an active fan on them. Just want you to know that both mosfet temp and NB temps are critical. I'd get aftermarket HS's for all of them but you might not need to integrate them into the loop. what exactly is in your loop and how large is your rad? if I was going to add NB in the loop id seriously consider mosfets in the loop as well! also mosfets are very sensitive to a fan on the bottom of the board as well as the top because they're actually designed to dissipate heat downward!

My loop has only cpu in it right now and the rad is GTX 360.

EDIT: it will be fine if i add mosfets & NB block to this rad right?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a frasier 360 with the cpu+gpu in my loop. 360 can handle the cpu and the nb/mosfet blocks iwth ease. could probably even handle the gpu in there if you had some high speed fans. the goal is to get the res temp < 4c difference from ambient. closer the better. just dont overlook the mosfets these things have caused me trouble more then other components if the power is effected, there is not much hope for the other components you know? just remember performance wise these blocks are going to be all pretty much similiar as the NB doesn't dissapate as much heat as the other components. I like swiftech personally and ya there may be better blocks out there but 2-4 c isn't going to matter much as most of these blocks will keep the thing < 35c in load. I'd just get something that looks nice, is affordable and doesn't have a big flow rate hit.

·
Registered
291 Posts
ok first off your south bridge(this controls lan/hd/sound stuff) temps hardly matter. feel it for yourself the heatsink barley heats up. as for the temps. you can see them in the bios. or download SpeedFan they should be attached to the main sensor chip. usually you have three temps there 1,2,3 and they are for the CPU Socket/NB/MOSFETS the CPU Socket should be easy to ID becasue it will go up most directly with cpu load. the other two here is what I do to id them. get a can of compressed air and spray it on the NB heatsink while the system is under considerable load IBT/Prime. the temp that goes down the fastest is the NB temp and the other temp will be the mosfets.

also, the mosfet cooler you suggested looks fine. you may need to buy two tho as these things sometimes have two rows. check the mobo compatability list on that one go to the manufacturers website for that. if your mobo isn't listed as compatable/incompatable you just have to get the dimensions of the thing from the manufacturers website and then measure.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I don't think that Danger-Den block will work because it will only cover the northbridge. There happens to be a NF200 chip on that ASUS P5N-D.

I still recommend using a 780i northbridge heatsink/block.

·
Registered
761 Posts
To get high FSB you will want to pump the voltage into the NB.

I would go for a Swiftech MCW30 it is the least restrictive and only like 25
dollars. I had one in my loop but went with a DD multi chipset block and wish
I would of kept my MCW30 in the loop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts