Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build a new computer and have a higher end build. Was looking at the 6700k.

So questions:

1. Is this the processor I should be targeting? For me I want the latest line of processors and budget is no more than $400. Ideally less.
  2. Is there another processor line I should be waiting for coming out very soon? Most releases seem to be incremental and not big jumps these days.
  3. What price should I be targeting? I see $350 on Amazon and $320 at Micro Center.

·
Not New to OCN
1,745 Posts
You might want to consider the x99 platform. The i7 6850k should be releasing relatively soon and the 6 core/12 threads is great for big work loads. Price is in the same ballpark as the 6700k.

• Rep+
Reactions: RoddimusPrime

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100cotton View Post

You might want to consider the x99 platform. The i7 6850k should be releasing relatively soon and the 6 core/12 threads is great for big work loads. Price is in the same ballpark as the 6700k.
I wonder what the pricing at Micro Center and Amazon will be. As of right now at least there is a $70+ discount off standard MSRP for the 670K. Also, from what I can tell that will be June release date. Should the 6850k be similar in performance or is the 6700k better for tasks given it's 4Ghz?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:

Thanks OP for opening this thread. I am in the same boat, i am was close to buying the 6700K, but then i learn that in a month or two, a CPU with a better architecture is releasing.
Hence was wondering if price wont be of a major difference, is it worth the wait?

I am currently on i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K

My main concern for a faster PC is for video encoding and Gaming, mainly the Oculus Rift.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:

Thanks OP for opening this thread. I am in the same boat, i am was close to buying the 6700K, but then i learn that in a month or two, a CPU with a better architecture is releasing.
Hence was wondering if price wont be of a major difference, is it worth the wait?

I am currently on i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K

My main concern for a faster PC is for video encoding and Gaming, mainly the Oculus Rift.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Done, i will wait. I do not even mind paying for 6950K (i realize its in the 1500 ball park price tag), but i wont be upgrading the PC for another 6-7 years.
My current Sandy Bridge i7 2600k has been running strong since 5 years. With the plethora of games coming in the next 4-5 years, i am sure 6950K will keep the ball rolling, including VR simulation.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

IMHO wait and see how 6800K is going to be priced and performs. $400 though is only for an i7 CPU no way you will fit a mobo + i7 CPU from Intel into that. Dunno why you would want to pay the extra for 6850K when there will also be an 6800K.
I intend that $400 will only be the budget for the CPU. The MoBo is another item to budget for.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
If you can wait a couple weeks, broadwell-e looks to be a nice step up from hw-e. I think the 6850k has the single core performance of skylake, but 6 cores instead of 4 of them. So, i think that's the best thing going right now (or very very soon).

·
My Wallet Hates Me.
892 Posts
I don't understand why Overclock.net always recommends i7's, he hasn't even told you what he's using it for? Best is subjective, you don't need an i7 if you are just gaming, there are no performance gains from i5-i7 in most games. If you are doing video editing or something that can actually use hyperthreading then sure, get it, but if not, get the highest end i5 and get another SSD or something, that's my thought on it.

Edit: Saw your comment about video encoding, depending on the application you are using, an i7 might make sense, and how often you are encoding.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremish View Post

I don't understand why Overclock.net always recommends i7's, he hasn't even told you what he's using it for? Best is subjective, you don't need an i7 if you are just gaming, there are no performance gains from i5-i7 in most games. If you are doing video editing or something that can actually use hyperthreading then sure, get it, but if not, get the highest end i5 and get another SSD or something, that's my thought on it.

Edit: Saw your comment about video encoding, depending on the application you are using, an i7 might make sense, and how often you are encoding.
Well, he said "and have a higher end build" and also said he was looking at the skylake i7. Newer games are starting to use more cores, and if you stream or record while gaming, that can take advantage of more cores too. As time goes on, the extra cores will only become more beneficial.

·
My Wallet Hates Me.
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael-ocn View Post

Well, he said "and have a higher end build" and also said he was looking at the skylake i7. Newer games are starting to use more cores, and if you stream or record while gaming, that can take advantage of more cores too. As time goes on, the extra cores will only become more beneficial.
I've not heard of a game that has leveraged 4 cores yet, and hasn't had crappy code. From what I understand, we've not even been able to utilize more than 3 cores and that was with BF4. I'm not saying that 6 cores wouldn't be useful, however, if he's only wanting an i7 to be considered in the "high end" it's a waste if he's not utilizing it for it's intended use.

If he's only encoding a video every year, like once, then it doesn't make sense to buy an i7. I doubt that in the next 5 years a game will use 4 cores appropriately.

I'm not trying to argue i5 vs i7, that's not my goal, they both have their use and are both high end chips (Depending on generation, of course), i'm simply saying that if you are not leveraging the chip for it's use, you have effectively wasted income on something you are not using.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremish View Post

I've not heard of a game that has leveraged 4 cores yet, and hasn't had crappy code. From what I understand, we've not even been able to utilize more than 3 cores and that was with BF4. I'm not saying that 6 cores wouldn't be useful, however, if he's only wanting an i7 to be considered in the "high end" it's a waste if he's not utilizing it for it's intended use.

If he's only encoding a video every year, like once, then it doesn't make sense to buy an i7. I doubt that in the next 5 years a game will use 4 cores appropriately.

I'm not trying to argue i5 vs i7, that's not my goal, they both have their use and are both high end chips (Depending on generation, of course), i'm simply saying that if you are not leveraging the chip for it's use, you have effectively wasted income on something you are not using.
Crysis3 likes moar cores, i wouldn't be surprised if star citizen does too, i think it's built on cryengine.

I didn't mean to step into an i5 vs i7 debate either.

The incremental increase in cost between the two is not all that much in the grand scheme of a high end pc budget. If you're building for the fun of it as much for the practical end result... you could argue that you can have more fun with an i7. That's a considerable reason why i got a hexacore (which is overwhelmingly overkill for what i do with it).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd say don't worry about the CPU just grab a 5820k. Pascal details were released today...double the performance of the Titan X.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts