Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi boys and girls,

A good friend his rig is crashing in games:headscrat. Now I was wondering if it is wise to put that rig to the test. Maybe a stress test wil reveal problems? Would you like to provide me with some advises? The specs of the rig are pretty much the same as my rig.

Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
Crashing as in how? Crashes out of the game to the desktop or does it BSOD? If it's crashing to the desktop, then do a virus, malware and a spybot scan.

If it's BSODing, run Memtest to check for possible memory errors.

IS his rig overclocked as well? If so, try putting it back to stock and see if the crashing still occurs. If it doesn't,then you'll need to reassess the overclock. Start from square one. It's possible that the CPU has degraded some.

At any rate, for stress testing use LinX or Prime95.

And then for testing true stability run Folding at home.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmega;11814577
Crashing as in how? Crashes out of the game to the desktop or does it BSOD? If it's crashing to the desktop, then do a virus, malware and a spybot scan.

If it's BSODing, run Memtest to check for possible memory errors.

IS his rig overclocked as well? If so, try putting it back to stock and see if the crashing still occurs. If it doesn't,then you'll need to reassess the overclock. Start from square one. It's possible that the CPU has degraded some.

At any rate, for stress testing use LinX or Prime95.

And then for testing true stability run Folding at home.
The games just freezes. It's with all the games in multiplayer. Cod black ops, bfbc2 etc. If he is playing single player No problemo! Thanks for your suggestions. BTW that rig is not overclocked. All parts running stock.

·
Premium Member
14,187 Posts
Prime95 for memory & CPU testing. 13-16 hours of Blend for me is enough, personally. You can use LinX and other programs such as IBT.

CPU-z for reading clocks and other miscellaneous information.

Everest for checking temperatures. I have a paid version, but you can use Core Temp.. Free and works just as well.

Memtest86+ for a much better look at memory testing.

Everyone has different preferences, those are mine.

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaPoX;11814607
The games just freezes. It's with all the games in multiplayer. Cod black ops, bfbc2 etc. If he is playing single player No problemo! Thanks for your suggestions. BTW that rig is not overclocked. All parts running stock.
thinking.gif

You might also want to check the video cards for errors. Run Furmark, and see if it freezes or you get any artifacts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts