Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
It has a PCIe x16 slot, so any card will fit. GTX480 / HD5970 would be the "best" you can get.

However running THAT board, you really won't get much for a CPU on it. I would honestly recommend you look into a different board too, and go with a slightly less expensive CPU and just overclock it. That way you can also upgrade to DDR3 at the same time.

• Rep+
Reactions: kiddkay

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Either the Asus ARES or the Sapphire 5970 Toxic 4GB.

Of the actual realistic (i.e. semi-affordable) choices, the two best are the 5970, and the GTX480.

PCI-Ex 1.1 16x is not that much of a bottleneck for any card out there, honestly.

But the processor might be. What are you going to get for a CPU?

• Rep+

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv
View Post

Either the Asus ARES or the Sapphire 5970 Toxic 4GB.

Of the actual realistic (i.e. semi-affordable) choices, the two best are the 5970, and the GTX480.

PCI-Ex 1.1 16x is not that much of a bottleneck for any card out there, honestly.

But the processor might be. What are you going to get for a CPU?

My thoughts exactly.
However, your choice ultimately comes down to if you think PhysX is worth buying a card for.
Personally, I dont thing PhysX should be a deciding factor in buying a card, So I go with ATI. I see PhysX as 60% Gimmick, 30% Tech that will SOMEDAY be great, and 10% great technology. If in the future PhysX becomes realized and accepted by the mainstream, ill jump back on Nvidia. For now, I use ATI.
I would go with a Sapphire Toxic 5970 4GB ideally, But more reasonably, a Sapphire Toxic 5850 2GB that you OC to 5870 Levels.
Or a Geforce GTX 480.

Once again, to me, Its all about PhysX. Other than that, both are great.

• Rep+

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiddkay
View Post

Well the only real games ill be playing on this computer is counter strike source and wow

Then you don't need a high end card at all. Although wow is getting dx11, so I'd reccomend a 5770

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well the only real games ill be playing on this computer is counter strike source and wow

Definitely get a 5770 then. If you want to stick with nvidia, wait until they release their gts450. That should be a great budget card.

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Quote:

View Post

In that case a Radeon HD 5770 or a Geforce GTX 280 Will probably Be more than enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by .:hybrid:.
View Post

Then you don't need a high end card at all. Although wow is getting dx11, so I'd reccomend a 5770

my MB has pci express x16 that card has 2.0 would that do anything?

·
sudo apt install sl
8,335 Posts
Quote:

View Post

PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible.

·
Loosing Vision
1,892 Posts
  • Rep+

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Quote:

View Post

It will be fine. They are backwards compatible.

• Rep+

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well if a 9800gt is more than enough for counter strike source and wow than i'm good. I just want to stick with something that works for now.

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Quote:

View Post

well if a 9800gt is more than enough for counter strike source and wow than i'm good. I just want to stick with something that works for now.

A 9800GT or a HD4830 would suffice just fine. I play CSS with 120-150 FPS or so on my sig rig. Never played WoW, but I can't imagine I'd have a problem.

• Rep+

·
Loosing Vision
1,892 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverPotato View Post
5970 4gb
Did you read this thread? I know its not 75 bucks. but geeze..

ASUS ARES 4GB Limited Edition Video Card

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1357/1/

It looks nice just for the case

1 - 20 of 41 Posts