Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Samsung p2540h LCD monitor which is 5 years old passed warranty years ago. The stand holding part inside the monitor just recently broken and google research showed it is a design problem, that part would have high chance just break after years of usage. So I buy a copycat of that part from Tao Bao.

The real problem is it is so hard to open this "no screw" monitor. I actually fixed this already but the open monitor process was painful and I broken few "clips" which holded the cover and the back of the monitors. I left a lot of big scratches at the edge of the cover and the back since it takes so much force to open those chips. I was using "no scratches" tool already, if I use screw driver then I may even just break the whole thing.

Here is a similar story which you can see he left scratches, same for me and I broken a lot of internal clips too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/2vgggy/just_repaired_my_lg_screen_by_changing_4/%5B/URL
So my question is how can someone opens this thing up without any scratch or break any clips. I have no idea even if I do it again. I think only stuff in Samsung repair office with a clear manual knowing exactly where are those clips and they have their tools for their monitors then can leave no scratches and nothing break.

I read stuff online and LG service manual shows it should be opened by release those clips at the internal edges which are next to the screen, but then I wonder that way would very easily hurt the screen which is the last thing I would want to happen.

My monitor is working fine with the copycat plastic part now but just there are actually scratches at the back edges and many clips inside are broken, but somehow the back and the cover still can stick together with the clips left.

So may you share your experience or thought? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
If they are clips you need a plastic card or tool. I used a plastic card (Sam's Club membership card) to open my mechanical keyboard with clips and got it open with no scratches. The damn thing was hard as hell to open.

·
Banned
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

If they are clips you need a plastic card or tool. I used a plastic card (Sam's Club membership card) to open my mechanical keyboard with clips and got it open with no scratches. The damn thing was hard as hell to open.
I can understand your case, for this samsung monitor series, the worst part is the front has thick pastic boarder than "cover" the back of the monitor, so the edge is like hidden down there, it requires something that can put in like 2cm or more then "dig" it out while it is super tight for a 24" monitor.

So far I have no clue even how can Samsung opens this without any scratch. I guess they would just replace it with a new one instead of open it for someone that is still within warranty. It may not be even designed to be able to be opened at all.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
If you can close it then you can open it. My keyboard is closed tight, it takes some practice to dig into the two plastic pieces to find the plastic tabs. It takes some trial and error though, I thought I wasn't going to be able to open my keyboard. The darn thing was closed tight I just had to keep picking at the right tabs to open up one side first.

This is the same thing with my very old LG monitor. I opened it up to see what was wrong with it, the thing was closed tightly. You had to find the tabs to open it.

·
Banned
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

If you can close it then you can open it. My keyboard is closed tight, it takes some practice to dig into the two plastic pieces to find the plastic tabs. It takes some trial and error though, I thought I wasn't going to be able to open my keyboard. The darn thing was closed tight I just had to keep picking at the right tabs to open up one side first.

This is the same thing with my very old LG monitor. I opened it up to see what was wrong with it, the thing was closed tightly. You had to find the tabs to open it.
OK what kind of tool did you use? Did you break anything or left scratch?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by espn View Post

OK what kind of tool did you use? Did you break anything or left scratch?
It's like I said, I used a Sams Club card. Just a plastic card for an expired membership I plan to no longer use. I used the corners to dig into the plastic casing. No scratches left and nothing broken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts