Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,962 Posts
Pretty much the same thing, can't go wrong with G Skill, very good support, they almost always reply (as you can see in the comments on Newegg)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I noticed (I believe it was the trident) timing was 5-5-5-15-2n, but what is the 2n? Also, should I choose to invest in the ram, should I completely remove the ones I already have?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145184

Is mixing different timings/speed bad for my CPU overclocking?

EDIT: I feel I should mention the only reason I'm going for faster RAM is because someone told me that would help me push out the last 200 MHz to get my 4 GHz clock stable, am I following wrong advice? Some of the threads I just read in this forum seem to point to RAM speed not being too important
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
2N is the command rate (CR) and is the time it takes a signal in memory to be issued to a ram module. It appears to be the same for both sets.

This memory is rated @ 1200mhz compared to the set you have @ 800mhz. The ram "could" be holding you back. But you can "underclock ram to overclock" before starting; did you try to set your ram to 667mhz?. You also need to take your mobo into consideration as there are other factors which may also be holding you back (voltages...etc).

Plus a 700Mhz overclock on both cores is still pretty damn good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,962 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zetswei View Post
EDIT: I feel I should mention the only reason I'm going for faster RAM is because someone told me that would help me push out the last 200 MHz to get my 4 GHz clock stable, am I following wrong advice? Some of the threads I just read in this forum seem to point to RAM speed not being too important
Well I'd say, yea, but keep in mind that if you're going to upgrade other stuff like the CPU/mobo later on you might have been better off with DDR3, you'll have to decide, I think that it's not worth it if you plan on upgrading the cpu/mobo within .. let's say .. a year.

Oh, and I know you said DDR3 doesn't work with your mobo, I'm just referring to possible future upgrades
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenthos View Post
Well I'd say, yea, but keep in mind that if you're going to upgrade other stuff like the CPU/mobo later on you might have been better off with DDR3, you'll have to decide, I think that it's not worth it if you plan on upgrading the cpu/mobo within .. let's say .. a year.

Oh, and I know you said DDR3 doesn't work with your mobo, I'm just referring to possible future upgrades

Well, I won't be upgrading it again until I sell it. I usually build computers, and put some outrageous price on them and once inawhile someone with a pocket full of cash will call me up and say I'll take it! and then I'll just build a new one
The only difference between this build and my last one, is that now I'm starting to get into overclocking all my components since games are becoming alot more demanding than a few years ago
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,962 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by zetswei
View Post

Well, I won't be upgrading it again until I sell it. I usually build computers, and put some outrageous price on them and once inawhile someone with a pocket full of cash will call me up and say I'll take it! and then I'll just build a new one
The only difference between this build and my last one, is that now I'm starting to get into overclocking all my components since games are becoming alot more demanding than a few years ago

I wish someone would buy my stash of old computer crap, ah well.

My problem is that I hold on too long to those parts and then they become worthless.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top