Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Currently there isn't one as it's a DDR4 board and AMDs current boards use DDR3. Though AM4 is going to be DDR4.

As for equivalents it the i3, i5 and i7 it really depends on how you're using the processor. in single threaded performance even the most powerful FX processor won't even match a lowly i3.

But when it comes to multiple threads the FX is a better performer only skylake 4 cores w/ HT or Haswell 6 cores w/ht can beat them and Haswell 4 cores w/HT just match them.

But with Zen only a few months away and an expected 40% single thread performance increase and hopefully the same 40% per core multithread increase and the rumored 8 cores w/HT (16 threads)

The whole landscape could change.

This coming from an AMD loyalist though so I'm fairly biased.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Short answer: there is no equivalent at this time.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Not to start an argument but even the single thread performance isn't bad, it's just not as good. Here are two comparisons I just did. First with the $1050 5960x and then the $364 6700k. Not too bad for a $190 CPU.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

Not to start an argument but even the single thread performance isn't bad, it's just not as good. Here are two comparisons I just did. First with the $1050 5960x and then the $364 6700k. Not too bad for a $190 CPU.

Except one problem... those are both Intel.... oops just noticed that's your 8370 @ 5ghz.

Here's what an FX-8320 does at stock speeds and when overclocked to 4.7 Ghz;:

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Yeah, there really is no point in going AMD right now unless you do OC it. But they OC easily and then deliver good performance.

Methinks that when AM4 boards come out soon there will be a lot of activity around here. What is the CPU for them? Carrizo?

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
You got it right the first time. That is my 8370 @ 5 ghz. compared to two different intels.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Quote:

You got it right the first time. That is my 8370 @ 5 ghz. compared to two different intels.
Two stock Intel chips that you can also overclock and get even higher results from.

In the end game scenario with everything overclocked, The 6700k ends up 50% faster in single core performance and ~20% faster overall.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
At what price? You can buy an AMD CPU and motherboard for just the price of the intel cpu.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Troll thread. GG.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, there really is no point in going AMD right now unless you do OC it. But they OC easily and then deliver good performance.

Methinks that when AM4 boards come out soon there will be a lot of activity around here. What is the CPU for them? Carrizo?
When the AM4 stuff starts to roll out this forum should really come back to life in a big way.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well, I just had a post removed, no notice, no reason; This forum , as of 23 March 2016, is dead to me.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredismee View Post

its only a matter of time before intel falls from its high horse and breaks its neck.
Uh, how may I ask?

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Quote:

there gonna give amd too much at some point thinking they are dead, and be destroyed
Yeah, but no.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:

there gonna give amd too much at some point thinking they are dead, and be destroyed
So one of the most well run, profitable companies in the world is going to collapse? You are too funny.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

So one of the most well run, profitable companies in the world is going to collapse? You are too funny.
Also intel really isnt trying to release anything really major atm if you cant tell. The jumps between the 4-5k series is 5-10 percent and then the 5-6k series is another 5-10. You really think they wont just release a insane chip to end amd again like they did with core 2.. And thats coming from someone that isnt biased at all and has owned multiple rigs from both companies.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts