Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had my eyes on the i7 3930k for some time now. I just wonder if in reality its little brothers the i7 2700k, i7 2600k, and i5 2500k r actually faster at gaming. i have been researching for a solid answer but people tend to lean both ways. I am not concerned with the price of the mobo and cpu of the 3930k. I just would be a little mad at myself if i spend 600$ on a cpu that turned out to be slower than a 350$ cpu gaming wise. I play bf3 and skyrim. Really it would be great if anyone who games has had the reg i7 2000k series upgraded to the i7 sb-e 3930k. Or just any kind of proof of what is truly the fastest gaming cpu on the market. I am not wasting money on the i7 3960 for my research has lead me to believe that would be a very poor way to throw away a grand on one pc component. I would have prob pulled the trigger already on the i7 3930k but i want to wait for c-2 stepping, not that i think it would really make any difference to me. I am open to all opinions, facts, and benchmarks. If i say something that sounds stupid or incorrect feel free to correct me because i am not smug and realize that i am still a beginner at the whole pc building world.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
well, 2500k will get the job done in all games even the 2500k been known to beat the 2600/2700k's in gaming in dual core optomized games . the 2600/2700 and 3930k would get a bit better fps count in BF3 over the 2500k as BF3 can utilize more then two cores just like BFBC2 and Crysis 2
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Don't waste your money, a 2500K or 2600K will do the job.
If it's just for a gaming purpose, you'd better invest the rest of the budget in a nice graphic card instead.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3viliz3d View Post

Don't waste your money, a 2500K or 2600K will do the job.
If it's just for a gaming purpose, you'd better invest the rest of the budget in a nice graphic card instead.
This, the 3930k and 3960x are by no means designed for just gaming. Even the 2600k and 2700k are a stretch for JUST gaming, a 2500k will be perfectly fine.

·
Overclocker
2,736 Posts
There is zero difference between a 2500k, 2600k, 2700k in gaming.

The 3930k could possibly be slightly faster, but only at low resolutions. If you are playing @ 1080p or higher resolution there is ZERO difference between any of them. Hyperthreading does nothing for games and in some instances actually reduces performance.

Go with the 2500k, overclock it to 4.5ghz on a hyper 212+ and call it a day if this is a gaming rig. 2500k=2600k=2700k=3930k if you are gaming.

• Rep+
Reactions: Schmuckley

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i am sticking with my lone 570 twin frozr III untill the gtx 670 comes out and msi releases there version of it a which point i will be purchasing dues. I realize that the 2500k gives me all i need but is the 3930k even a smidge faster when it comes to bf3, skyrim, and crysis 2. At some point i may need it for more than gaming because of school needs but its not like its a must. In all actuality i just want to have the fastest hands down gaming cpu at this point in time. Could care less of cost/performance. With the acception of not waisting money on a thousand dollar cpu (i7 3960). What i am trying to ask is there any benchmarks or proof stating the I5 2500k or i7 2600k are truly faster at gaming. I know that if anything the 3930k is only slightly faster and if thats the case i want it. I also kind of have a good feeling about the 2011 chip set.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruflot View Post

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=443
Its the 3960X since they haven't tested the 3930K yet. And yes, you do CLEARLY see there's a difference between the 2500K and the 3960X.
Keep in mind, there are almost zero difference between the 3960X and the 3930K.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
thank u thats what i was looking for i can't believe i foregot about anandtech.com even slight performance increase is all i cared for if i could say i have the fastest gaming cpu out there. Except for its 400$+ big brother which from what i hear is the same specially when oc well.

·

13,038 Posts
I would not buy the 3930k for just gaming alone. The 2600K would be my lowest choice since I like having Hyper Threading just in case.

If you like benching too, then get the 3930K.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
i agree by just getting the 2500K or 2600K (if you need HT). if all you want is gamming get the 2500K as i dont think the gamming performance increase is worth paying nearly tripple the price for a 3930K unless you dont mind paying the extra then go for it
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruflot View Post

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=443

Its the 3960X since they haven't tested the 3930K yet. And yes, you do CLEARLY see there's a difference between the 2500K and the 3960X.

Keep in mind, there are almost zero difference between the 3960X and the 3930K.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
The biggest differences I see in those graphs are in non-game applications. The benches for the two CPUs in games are a lot closer. Is 10 more FPS worth hundreds of dollars more? No, I don't think so.

OP, get the 2500K.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
The 2500k is likely to be faster for you than the 3930k, because it's much easier to overclock with out to much heat. Besides, with the money saved you can get yourself a second gfx card which will give you nearly double fps.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i do like to benchmark and thought about getting involved in folding and is it really that hard to overclock a i7 3930k. my goal is 4.7ghz since 7 is my lucky number. The money is not the issue its the fact that i want to be able to take advantage of the best tech intel has to offer. I spend prob 60% of my time on my pc gaming and 20% browsing and 10% benching and 10% on misc stuff. The only thing that would that would bring me away from buying the 3930k is if it was slower than the i5 2500k at gaming. Otherwise i have stuff i could really use the multi threaded horsepower in the next year or so.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by upload420 View Post

i do like to benchmark and thought about getting involved in folding and is it really that hard to overclock a i7 3930k. my goal is 4.7ghz since 7 is my lucky number. The money is not the issue its the fact that i want to be able to take advantage of the best tech intel has to offer. I spend prob 60% of my time on my pc gaming and 20% browsing and 10% benching and 10% on misc stuff. The only thing that would that would bring me away from buying the 3930k is if it was slower than the i5 2500k at gaming. Otherwise i have stuff i could really use the multi threaded horsepower in the next year or so.
They're generally the same difficulty to overclock, one just puts out 50% more heat. If you have a good cooler 4.7 ghz should be easy. Also, if your gonna seriously fold go for the 3930k

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by upload420 View Post

heres your answer, seems like your keen on the 3930k so go for it buddy
thumb.gif

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
From what I've read SB-E overclocking isn't that difficult, if you are going to use a distributive program like [email protected] then I would +1 the 3930k and LGA 2011 platform. If your not going to that is, then a 2500k is all you'll need. When I went from a E5620 to a W3680 I didn't notice any difference in gaming whatsoever, but [email protected] and video encoding oh boy what a difference!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
This is somewhat game dependent.
For nearly all games, including BF3, Skyrim, and Crysis 2 which you mentioned, follow the Basic Gaming CPU Rule:

Four cores is the maximum games can utilize.
Now some games use two or even one core, it is true. But that still falls under the Basic Gaming CPU Rule:

Four cores is the maximum games can utilize. (This should be true for the forseeable future.)

With me now?
Ok, pop quiz time. You're posting on OCN, so I sure hope you know the answers to these questions.

1) What is the basic difference between an overclockable "Sandy Bridge" and a currently available "Sandy Bridge-E" processor?

2) What is the basic difference between a current-gen desktop i5 and a current-gen desktop i7?

3) What does the feature that constitutes the answer to number 2 do?
1) The Sandy Bridge processors have 4 cores, the Sandy Bridge-E processors have 6 cores.
2) The i7 has hypterthreading.
3) Hyperthreading simulates more cores.

Ok, answer those questions. Now further realize that the maximum clock speeds achievable for all the processors in question have more to do with whether one gets lucky with a particularly good CPU. If anything, the regular Sandy Bridge processors are easier to get up to the 5k region.

So, to recap:
For gaming, there is essentially NO difference between an i5-2500k or any of the i7-XXXXk processors. Minor differences (1 or 2 FPS), sometimes in favor of an i5, sometimes in favor of an i7, in benchmarks are more likely the result of luck in processor received by the reviewer than the chip type. Essentially no difference. HOWEVER, this is OCN!!!! So the question is, given the prices of these processors, HOW IN THE WORLD has OCN not stumbled upon the optimal solution here? OCN, I am disappoint!!!

The obvious solution to maximize performance is to take the cost of an i7-3960k, add in the difference in cost between a high-end 2011 motherboard and a high-end 1155 motherboard, and purchase FOUR i5-2500k processors, FOUR top-end cooling systems, and FOUR different types of thermal paste. Then, through a two-week marathon overclocking session, determine which of the FOUR i5-2500k samples is the best! Only then will you know you TRULY have the best CPU for gaming available.

*The exceptions to the Basic Gaming CPU Rule are the following: Shogun 2: Total War... and Shogun 2: Total War. If you are a big fan of the Total War series, you can justify an i7-3930k, but NOT an i7-3960k. Again, if you want to throw money at the problem, get two i7-3930k processors to see which of the two can overclock higher. Otherwise, get one to four i5-2500k processors depending on how dedicated you are to truly achieving the best gaming processor available.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post

They're generally the same difficulty to overclock, one just puts out 50% more heat. If you have a good cooler 4.7 ghz should be easy. Also, if your gonna seriously fold go for the 3930k
i have been looking into it... would like to put my addiction to some greater good lol.... anyways i am getting a corsiar h100 do u think i should be able to hit 4.7 with that

1 - 20 of 84 Posts