Overclock.net banner

What is the minimum requirement for a comfortable gaming experience?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Gaming Enthusiast
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. Was having a discussion with another member earlier, and there were conflicting opinions about where the minimums should bottom out. Another thread was linked, but made no mention of minimums.

You're voting for the option you would accept as the minimum requirements for a comfortable gaming experience.

[edit] And I have no idea why I thought this section was the appropriate place for this thread.. but this is where the discussion originated and I was on auto-pilot x.x;

[edit2] Requested it be moved to the PC gaming section myself, so nobody else spam the mods with reports
wink.gif

·

13,213 Posts
60+, but has to be smooth or it bothers me.

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
I'm happy with 30fps in my games. Some I get more, some I get a little less (like in the mid 20's). Seems to be a pretty decent playing experience for me.

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Depends on the game.
Generally 60+ is acceptable unless the net code is based on FPS (like source games). Before the patch a few months ago you could only achieve 100 tick by having at least 100 fps.

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
60+ all the time.

When it drops below that, I go all OCD over it and won't rest until I see what I want.

Which usually results in my GPU being upgraded. But that's not too often, since my monitor is only 1280x1024.

Yeah, overkill for a 2600k and a HD6870. But that way, I get 100+ FPS on every game, and my sig rig will last me for years to come.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think it depends on the game. I would like to see 60fps all the time, but I would be more then happy to play with 40 fps if it was smooth. I realize that some games are tougher then others, and some games play better with lower framerates then others. If I'm playing flight simulator, I can get by with as little as 15-20 fps. If I'm playing a racing game or a FPS, then I would really be more comfortable with 60fps. In a game where fractions of a second matter, I always want more fps.

In both Crysis and Crysis Warhead, I only get about 45 fps on Very High at 1920x1080 with no AA. However, that framerate doesn't fluctuate at all. Min and max framerates are probably 40 fps min and 55fps max! It is one of the smoothest gaming experiences I've ever had. I would take that any day over a 100+ average fps game where it dips and spikes constantly.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
i think frame rate stability is really important. a drop usually makes me lag even if its a drop from a high frame rate like 200 to 150..

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
That is actually true.

Even for those who consider 30 FPS to be pretty low (myself included) if a game plays @ 30 FPS all the time, it will be smooth across the board.

With no spikes and no dips, even 24 FPS would seem fluid to our eyes if it was a constant frame rate.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I depends on the game, if you are playing a slow paced game then even 15fps would be fine. If your playing an fps anything lower than 30 and you will notice a large lag, i say 35fps+ is ok. i would say 48fps would be ideal. Most movies are at 24fps and they seem ok. To be safe just go with hardware that is considered overkill for your resolution and you should be set. people say a gtx 570 is enough for 1080p, sure but some game cant be played on max at more than 40fps, i was gaming at 720p for the longest, it really made my old pc last. I was getting 40fps+ on any game, until i got Metro 2033. But definately, if you are playing Bratz or Barbie or even sponge bob then anything over 15fps is fine. For FPS games i would suggest at least 40 avg, 35 min.

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
Completely fine with 30, beat Crysis like that, loved every minute of it. If it's an FPS, like BC2, at least 40+. But I really don't see the major difference between 30 and 60, especially when I've played at 30 so much.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you guys want some interesting reading on frames per second, head over to tweakguides.com and look at the gaming graphics article. This page talks a lot about fps and how it relates to gaming. There is some interesting bits about motion blur and why 60fps is really smoother then 30fps.

The common misconception is that 24 fps is the same for movies and for computer graphics. In reality, they are different. In a movie, there is blur in each and every frame. When viewed together, the motion is smooth. In a video game, each frame is rendered out as a sharp image. When the framerate in a video game is 24 fps, the brain actually can tell the difference and the game does not appear as smooth even though it is at the same framerate as the movie. Newer games, like Crysis, use motion blur extensively. These games can appear smoother at lower framerates, because it is basically mimicking what film would do when recorded at 24 fps. When the moving objects in the frame are rendered with blur, the motion appears smooth at lower framerates. Not all games are using object motion blurring though, so in general, 24 fps in game is not the same as 24 fps in a movie or TV show.

Another neat part is the difference between 30 and 60 fps. Generally 30fps is considered to be the minimum desireable fps for gaming. However 60 fps does noticabely appear smoother. Much closer to the smoothness observed from video. There is a link on there to a little application that compares the two framerates side by side so you can see the difference.

Basically, I thought this page may be interesting since you posed the question related to fps.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
aiming gets ******ed below 50 FPS ish when you're used to 60-100fps. Explosion or smoke and then 50 and below... the cursor just seems to move half as fast... because it actually is!

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
Avg 40s. I upgrade when I get down into the 50s!

·
Premium Member
14,187 Posts
Ever since I built this SB rig I am incredibly spoiled since everything just gets demolished.

However, anything above 31 FPS is nice. 30 and below really makes me angry.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It really depends on the engine and the variability of the framerate. Crysis at a constant 30FPS is beautiful, smooth, and responsive. A Source engine game at a constant 30FPS looks and plays terribly. And Metro 2033 runs fine at 40FPS until you come around a corner and there's some sort of action and the FPS divebombs into the teens.

And who actually monitors their framerates anyways? I ran the Just Cause 2 benchmark, I know I'm getting around 30-40 FPS when I play with the settings I have, but when I lower the settings (netting a higher framerate) I don't really notice a difference in anything but image quality. What I'm trying to say is, many of you who claim "60FPS OR I WON'T PLAY PERIOD" might not actually be playing at 60FPS all the time, and you don't notice.

As long as the game is running fluidly and you aren't cursing everytime an explosion goes off, your FPS is fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
how can you guys really tell if its over 30 or not? cant the eyes only see under 30 fps? In the old days i was perfectly happy playing games like d2, warcraftII, and star trek games at 30, even 20 fps... Today i prefer the best, but i can live if the fps is under 60 thats for sure.

And anything over 60fps is the same as being at 60 right?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.