Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I am looking for the most powerful processor that can fit in my HP Pavilion DV6226us laptop (well, my wifes laptop lol). I know that the processors in Socket M (479 pin) range from the Core Duo T2050 to the Core Duo T2700 But with the Chipset in the laptop It can hold the Core 2 Duo Processors from T5300 to the T7600. But with these laptop motherboards, just because a processor will physically fit in the motherboard doesn't think that it will work in the motherboard. So does anyone know of a list of exactly which processors will fit/work in my laptops motherboard. The board is made by Quanta and the model number is 30BB. It utilizes a i945GM north bridge and 82801GHM (ICH7-M/U) South Bridge. Don't worry about me being able to swap processors because I am a computer and electronics engineer. I can do the work and I just want to upgrade this computer to the maximum that it is capable of rather than getting a new one. my wife loves this one so I gotta do what the warden asks for lol. Thanks for any and all information that you guys can give me.

Thanks again,
Nathan (lawrencendlw)

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have been trying for a while but I just can't get a straight answer from anyone on it

I know that the T7600 will physically work with my computer but what I am trying to figure out is if it will work with the BIOS. For instance, I have a Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard and if I never had updated the BIOS from the original BIOS then a Intel Core i7-980X would not work with it. So what I am asking is if the BIOS will recognize the T7600 or not. The motherboard is listed in CPU-z as a Quanta 30BB with a Intel i945GM Chipset and a Intel 82801GHM (ICH7-M/U) SouthBridge. I cant seem to find anyone that knows the answer to this question and everyone that Is selling the T7600 has a no return policy (or at least the places I looked at) so that's an expensive leap there. Especially when I could be using that money to put MOAR POWER in my 2 Folding rigs lol.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all of those DV6200 series laptops used the same motherboard, and when HP updated the BIOS for them, they would have included support for every CPU they were using. The highest end processor I saw in that series was a 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo. I am sure you can upgrade to a Core 2 Duo, but I'm not sure that you can go as far as a T7600. Oftentimes, companies only included the processors they were actually using in the CPU table, not all the ones that could actually work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts