Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see it. The most you can clock is between 100 and 200mhz...that's not a lot if you ask me.
I understand if it was like 500mhz and more, but 100mhz and less and i see no point in doing so, cause i doubt the difference will be great

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
The better cooling you have, the higher the overclock. You can get overlcocks higher than 200Mhz.

Most people don't need to overlcock their GPU, but people like me (and most everyone else on OCN) would like to get the most fps out of a game as possible.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
What is the point of overclocking anything? You can get slightly better performance, sometimes enough to make a game playable. Have a look at some reviews and see what 100-200MHz can get you. The difference between 30fps and 35fps is small, but the game will feel a lot better.

And plus, why not? Same reason as I climb mountains, because they are there, and because I can. Are you seriously asking that question on an overclocking forum?

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Well, if you're folding like me.
The difference can be great.

Stock clock is 625/1565/900
OC'd @ 730/1804/1020

Stock I get around 4.8-5K PPD.
OC'd I get around 6.3K PPD.

That's quite a difference if you ask me.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
More FPS. My stock GTX 470 (607mhz and 1674mhz) averages 36 FPS in Crysis benchmark with custom config. Overclocked to 820mhz core and 2000mhz memory, it gets 44 FPS Average

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@8ight
And i dont!.

This is a serious question. Yes, 5fps more is good if you have low FPS in a game, but even if the cooling is great, how will you up the clocks, when you can't change voltage etc?

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by farmdve
View Post

@8ight
And i dont!.

This is a serious question. Yes, 5fps more is good if you have low FPS in a game, but even if the cooling is great, how will you up the clocks, when you can't change voltage etc?

Easy using MSI Afterburner.
& You can change voltage. On most cards, either by flashing BIOS or doing a hardmod.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which either void the warranty, or if you screw up and that's it. Is it really worth the risk?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
My reference 5850 has the ability to up the voltage on the GPU out of the box. With full W/C I should be able to hit 1000 / 1200 (havn't had a chance to play with it, I got posted overseas a week after buying it).

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Which either void the warranty, or if you screw up and that's it. Is it really worth the risk?

For some people, yes.

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerJohn
View Post

My reference 5850 has the ability to up the voltage on the GPU out of the box. With full W/C I should be able to hit 1000 / 1200 (havn't had a chance to play with it, I got posted overseas a week after buying it).

Yeah cos Asus allow voltage tweak with most of there cards.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
They (manufacturers and re-sellers) wont know you overclocked it unless you tell them, or you flashed an overclocked bios to a video card like I did, but I just flashed it back before I sold it.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I don't see it. The most you can clock is between 100 and 200mhz...that's not a lot if you ask me.
I understand if it was like 500mhz and more, but 100mhz and less and i see no point in doing so, cause i doubt the difference will be great

100-200MHz is a lot for a GPU. For a processor that runs at 3GHz, it may not be much, but GPU's are usually only clocked between 500 and 800MHz.

My GTX460, while I "only" got a 250MHz increase, is a 37% overclock, which is equivalent to overclocking your processor to 4.38GHz.

Say I only got 100MHz out of it, that's still 15%, which is the same as OCing your processor to 3.68GHz.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Better performance. My 5970 will clock to 1000MHZ which is 275 mhz over stock. Thats a gain of nearly 38%. Compare that to the gain you get overclocking a CPU and you'll see the point.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingzero
View Post

This is why we can't have nice things.

You beat me >:[

Anyway, I'm not sure if its been said or not, but the clocks on a GPU are significantly lower than a CPU (in case you haven't noticed), so even just 100-200mhz is a significant percentage of the overall clock speed increase.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

View Post

For most people without doing hardmods we can achieve a VERY significant overclock, just using MSI AB and its voltage tweaks, which for MOST manufactures, are covered under warranty.

Like my 470, at 1050mv (highest allowed is 1087mv) i can achieve 800core/1600shader, and 1800+mhz mem. stock is 607c/1215s and 1674mem. so for the core this is a 193mhz increase, which is substantial IMO, especially when it gives me nearly a 4k PPD increase for folding, which with a custom profile, temps never reach above 80C.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88EVGAFTW
View Post

They (manufacturers and re-sellers) wont know you overclocked it unless you tell them, or you flashed an overclocked bios to a video card like I did, but I just flashed it back before I sold it.

This, all software overclocks are computer specific, as soon as they plug in the card, its going to show stock clocks, and if reflashed, they will be none the wiser if you happened to unlock your card.

IMO: overclocking video cards is very beneficial if you arent already getting desired performance, or are a folder. if you dont want to take the risk or are getting desired performance, then just leave stock. its all personal preference

1 - 20 of 25 Posts