Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a simple answer as to what the screen refresh rate really is, and how does it relate to frames per second? Is 60hz good?

I'm not really sure but lets say I have a 60hz monitor (which I do actually) does this mean the max allowed frame rate I can get is 60 without tearing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by De-Zant View Post
It is the number of refreshes your monitor does per second. Your monitor updates the screen 60 times per second, making it impossible to see more than 60FPS. The reason people play without vsync is because it introduces mouse lag.
What he said. VSYNC can improve "visuals" by preventing tearing, but it has introduced mouse lag in just about every game I have ever enabled it on..I'd rather have performance than mouse lag personally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So v-sync does more harm than good.
I always noticed that. I lag myself with it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
60 is the norm in todays monitors but soon (just like in TVs) 120hz will be the the standard.60hz is more than enough. i dont understand why 120hz is that popular.i have seen 120hz HDTVs and they look fake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So why does CRT monitors allow 75hz-85hz when newer monitors allow only 60hz? Or is it just me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
The other two have explained it, but I'll just say it in my words.

The monitor updates what's on the screen so many times per second. A 60 Hz monitor will update the screen 60 times per second.

The graphics card renders data to produce frames, which are then sent to the monitor to be displayed.

These two things are unrelated for the most part. A GPU can render any number of frames per second, regardless of what kind of monitor is in use.

That said, if the GPU is rendering faster than the monitor is refreshing, it's impossible to see a difference because they simply aren't shown.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinton13 View Post
So why does CRT monitors allow 75hz-85hz when newer monitors allow only 60hz? Or is it just me?
The best LCD's allow 120Hz but that's expensive.

CRT's used a different techology that made it easier to have a higher refresh rate, and thus a s moother image... And it was required too, a CRT below 75Hz was pain to the eyes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay then. Thanks guys! Much appreciated.
But yeah....40-60FPS is good for me. Sometimes even 30fps.
Another question however, does this relate to the response time in a monitor? Lets say I have a 5ms response time on this monitor with 60hz max (which I do actually)
Would it be possible to have 2ms but STILL have 60hz? Or 5ms with 120hz?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinton13 View Post
Okay then. Thanks guys! Much appreciated.
But yeah....40-60FPS is good for me. Sometimes even 30fps.
Another question however, does this relate to the response time in a monitor? Lets say I have a 5ms response time on this monitor with 60hz max (which I do actually)
Would it be possible to have 2ms but STILL have 60hz? Or 5ms with 120hz?
Response time is how long the pixel takes to fully adjust its color to the one it is supposed to. It's in no way related to refresh rate. If you have a long response time, you will notice ghosting on the screen, which is annoying. The numbers 2ms and 5ms are lies. TN panels have 20ms. IPS panels have 25-30 ms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by De-Zant View Post
Response time is how long the pixel takes to fully adjust its color to the one it is supposed to. It's in no way related to refresh rate. If you have a long response time, you will notice ghosting on the screen, which is annoying. The numbers 2ms and 5ms are lies. TN panels have 20ms. IPS panels have 25-30 ms.
Ohh. Okay then. I thought when the screen is updating it meant everything including colors. Thanks though. Or else I would of been mislead. :S
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinton13 View Post
Ohh. Okay then. I thought when the screen is updating it meant everything including colors. Thanks though. Or else I would of been mislead. :S
Okay.. You Didn't understand everything, let me explain response time....

You have a purple pixel right? Now imagine that the GPU says that the pixel should turn yellow. Response time tells us how long that would take. The response time would say that it takes 20ms to complete the operation.

Refresh rate is a different thing... Your GPU sends as many frames as it can to the screen. 60 times a second, the monitor captures one of those frames and displays it on the screen. Sometimes it displays the same frame 2 times. Sometimes it shows 2 different frames at the same time which results in screen tearing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Can faint horizontal flickering be a cause to do with the refresh rate?
I get that if i concentrate on an area. But when i run games its more noticable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyTheGamer View Post
Can faint horizontal flickering be a cause to do with the refresh rate?
I get that if i concentrate on an area. But when i run games its more noticable.
That is called screen tearing and is a direct result of refresh rate. It happens when you have vsync off. Then you can put 2 (halves of) frames into one refresh, so that you get horizontal lines....

If the image is still, you shouldn't get that. Do you use VGA? If you do, use a different connector...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahhh! Well thanks a lot!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top