Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have taken photos of what I'm referring to:

https://imgur.com/a/IuVAs

There is a greenish tint all around the copper and not sure what it is. The unit is working(?) i suppose I haven't turned it on in a year or two, and was wondering if something like this would be covered in an RMA request by corsair.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Copper oxidizes if you leave it unprotected in open air for too long, especially in basements without dehumidifiers. It's more or less the same thing as iron rusting. Warranty would not cover something like that, it's basically physical damage caused by lack of proper storage.

It shouldn't affect performance at all based on the pictures.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Copper oxidizes if you leave it unprotected in open air for too long, especially in basements without dehumidifiers. It's more or less the same thing as iron rusting. Warranty would not cover something like that, it's basically physical damage caused by lack of proper storage.

It shouldn't affect performance at all based on the pictures.

That's strange though because this AIO cooler was attached firmly against a CPU in a computer in a regular bedroom, although it was not turned on for 2 years. Is that considered lack of proper storage?

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
yes, that would be considered improper storage, think about the packing it was in when you bought it. that copper plate had a piece of plastic that was vacuum sealed to that copper base plate. now you may not have the ability to do something like that, but you can recreate something similar. by covering the copper plate in packing grease, then wrapping the whole CPU block assembly in plastic wrap. this may sound extreme, but this would have prevented that oxidation from occurring.

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,702 Posts
Either way, I think it will work well still. The main cooling surface still looks fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
you can carrefully use a little sandpaper to remove that; but coper oxydation in protective conversely rust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts