Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not about the sig rig, but this one:

HD3650 AGP 512MB. I bought the card at the end of 2008(November i believe). It was top notch back then. It worked with a 350w Codegen(crappy psu).

After a while it started weeping at POST about there not being enough power to it and it didn't have that before. The problem was resolved after another reboot but soon it needed 10 reboots to finally POST.

So i changed the PSU to a Fortron 400w one with enough amperage. The not enough power problem was resolved, but there is one that is still here.

Sometimes when playing a game the game will freeze(due to driver crashing). I didnt have the problem when the card was new. I played Crysis on it before, now it freezes after the level has been loaded and started..

What could the problem be? I have tried numerous drivers but the problem persists.

What i am trying to say is that the moment i start using Furmark or MSI Kombustor to test the GPU for stability(no OC) it freezes and the only way to fix it is by rebooting.
May i also note that, while it did have these problems(the freezing) it never happened the moment i start benching, so it means it has gotten worse.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Download and run FurMark, if you get errors then it might be time to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No money for upgrade, and the only upgrade available for AGP is 4650..and because it's a AGP card it costs a lot(for me at least)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Possibly the solder, the newer solder can crack and fail to maintain contact with it's circut. You could try baking the card.

Another possibility is that the card's BIOS or drivers are corrupt. Flash the BIOS or update the drivers.

Theres also the dust in the connection problem, try unplugging it and using compressed air/blowing on the connection to remove dust.

Good Luck

Sean

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you tell me what exactly is "the solder"? About baking the card..i need the card so it is not an option to bake it(although i have seen owners of 9800gt do it)
Drivers cant be corrupt - downloaded straight from Sapphire. The BIOS i have was a fixed version sent directly from Sapphire's support people

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdve;11927039
Can you tell me what exactly is "the solder"? About baking the card..i need the card so it is not an option to bake it(although i have seen owners of 9800gt do it)
Solder is more or less silver that bonds the GPU to the PCB. When the solder cracks, one or more of the GPU pins will not make contact with the PCB.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do i know if that is the case? I mean if i do bake it and that is not the reason i could damage it to a point where nothing will be doable.

EDIT:
Drivers i've tried: 10.3, 10.4, 10.9, 9.9. And i've always used Driver Sweeper to clean them before installing these

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdve;11927075
How do i know if that is the case? I mean if i do bake it and that is not the reason i could damage it to a point where nothing will be doable.

EDIT:
Drivers i've tried: 10.3, 10.4, 10.9, 9.9. And i've always used Driver Sweeper to clean them before installing these
That's baking for you, you don't know, but if it's that or nothing, why not?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i usually don't, but this time i did. But Driver Sweeper kinda sucks...doesnt remove ALL the files from the windows folder.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Okay well you should always run the uninstaller in the Windows Control Panel before anything. Make sure you have the latest version of Driver Sweeper, and run it after you reboot into Safe Mode.

are you on xp or w7?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've already done all those. I have the 9.9 driver, but as soon as i start a benchmarking program...freeze.
The last BSOD dump file says. Threads stuck in device driver.

And yes that PC is on XP.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
test the card in another computer?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately i have no other AGP computer, nor any people i know of.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i've come to believe that the newer drivers are more optimized for the 5k and 6k series and i know they do more problem for older cards, than they fix, so no, i havent tried them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts