Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amd fx-4300 processor
760gm-p23(fx) (ms-7641)
Nvidia GeForce gtx 750
16gb of ram
350 watt power supply

Is my current setup. I'm looking to see which power supply to buy right now. (And / or buy a bigger wattage one so I can upgrade to a 4gb ddr5 later on?) any suggestions on the makes models and if it will fit?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
A memory upgrade never requires a PSU upgrade. Besides, upgrading to DDR5 memory (do you mean DDR4?) would require a new motherboard and CPU.

Anyway, your power consumption is very low. I'm scared though that your 350W PSU is probably some generic one, which should never be trusted.

Now, you asked about PSU fit. Are you talking about the PSU's physical size? I can't know what will fit in your computer without knowing what case you have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4gb ddr5 graphic memory I was referring too. Sorry. I meant the physical size of the power supply and my case is the model c series cyber power pc. And what connectors will I need for my motherboard? 24 pin?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
You can't upgrade the memory on your video card, so I'm assuming you mean that you want a new video card. So, which card?

You don't need to worry about things like connections. ;) I got your back.

I'm not finding anything when I search the internet for "model c series cyber power pc". I need more information. It's not that I've never heard of CyberPower, but I'm getting the impression I won't find "Model C Series" based on the lack of matching results.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Installed a Nividia GeForce GTX 750 and I think it needs more power, it starts up fine, only on the second time. (First time it just black screens, I hold the power button and wait a min, start back up and it's ok) <---- why I need to know what kind of psu to get. All my specs are on the first thread. (Motherboard is a MSI). I bought this computer from Best Buy. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black-blue/4593000.p?id=1219775850518&skuId=4593000

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achieves View Post

I Installed a Nividia GeForce GTX 750 and I think it needs more power, it starts up fine, only on the second time. (First time it just black screens, I hold the power button and wait a min, start back up and it's ok) <---- why I need to know what kind of psu to get. All my specs are on the first thread. (Motherboard is a MSI). I bought this computer from Best Buy. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black-blue/4593000.p?id=1219775850518&skuId=4593000
That product page doesn't tell me anything useful. That's to be expected though.

The fact that the PSU is a super crappy generic unit that's only rated for 350W likely means that it's not actually able to deliver even 300W which would mean you're right, that you don't have enough power. Not only that, but the quality of the power that this PSU is delivering is very likely to be highly unstable and inaccurate (high ripple and loose voltage regulation). The low quality of the PSU's power delivery would be another problem, making the whole situation even worse.

I would strongly prefer that you order a PSU from an online retailer because Best Buy's selection is utter crap, and their prices suck. Can I use PCPartPicker.com to recommend a PSU from an online retailer?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you may use that website. Just hope it was enough info to figure out which power supply we can order and fit. Thank you for helping out on this one.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Yes you may use that website. Just hope it was enough info to figure out which power supply we can order and fit. Thank you for helping out on this one.
As I said, it doesn't provide enough information. The only helpful information is "mid tower". That's it. That still doesn't tell me if some of the PSUs that I would like to recommend would be a few millimeters too big.

How much can you spend on the PSU?

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
The product page shows the tower originally came with a R7 240, which while doesn't consume much power, the GTX 750 doesn't consume that much more power. Maybe ~40W more under load, but from what I gather, you aren't even putting these GPU's under load so there shouldn't even be a power issue at this stage. While the PSU in this tower is undoubtedly of poor quality and low wattage, it doesn't make sense as to why you would suddenly have this issue just from switching out GPU's that essentially are consuming the same amount of power idling.

Sure, a new quality PSU would most definitely be a welcome addition, but I'm not so convinced that the PSU is the source of your problem especially considering on 2nd boot it works fine.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
My thing is, it's not wise to trust investments (like a nice new video card) to a PSU like this one. If he doesn't replace the PSU today, then he'll regret it "tomorrow".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Psu any price just depends on the wattage and make sure there is way enough room for me to through in a bigger graphics card later on.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Psu any price just depends on the wattage and make sure there is way enough room for me to through in a bigger graphics card later on.
Yep, I got you covered:

The 550W XFX TS Series: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

What do you think of it? It's a very solid choice in PSUs. I tried to keep the cost as low as possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts