Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Rambus. I have some. Was used in some dell dimensions but never caught on. Worth a lot if you find someone buying it. $40 for 512MB or so. I have 2 of those samsung 64mb's and one 256MB from dell. It basically got dominated by DDR2 because upgrading to it was extremely difficult. More of dells 'You can't upgrade this computer' crap

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3T4LM4N222 View Post
Rambus. I have some. Was used in some dell dimensions but never caught on. Worth a lot if you find someone buying it. $40 for 512MB or so. I have 2 of those samsung 64mb's and one 256MB from dell.
Both? They look like different parts. Is one a different size or something?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWolfe View Post
Both? They look like different parts. Is one a different size or something?
Yes, the plated ones are samsung 64MB sticks, and the 2 without heatsinks are Dell 265/512MB ones. Flip the non-plated ones over.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Rambus ram, depending on capacity/speed you may even be able to make a few bucks from it, believe it or not.

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHHAHA, the ones "without heatsinks" aren't higher capacity, they are sticks you have to put in the empty slots. Rambus requires ALL slots have something in them or it doesn't work. They are called crimms or something. NOT actual ram.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
those are funny looking

·
Registered
370 Posts
The smaller one is just a spacer.

edit: damn, too slow on this friggin dvorak.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWolfe View Post
Any ideas? It's from an old mobo, so is it DDR? As in DDR1?

Are they both the same?

Rambus, Brings me back to 2000

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post
Rambus ram, depending on capacity/speed you may even be able to make a few bucks from it, believe it or not.

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHHAHA, the ones "without heatsinks" aren't higher capacity, they are sticks you have to put in the empty slots. Rambus requires ALL slots have something in them or it doesn't work. They are called crimms or something. NOT actual ram.
Can you explain why my Dell RAM says 256MB on it?
Edit:Never mind your right lol, for some reason I remeber it saying 256MB but they don't.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post

You beat me. The other sticks are "dummy" sticks, kinda like switch cards for some PCIe motherboards.

Rambus was epic fail.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
rambus needs all the slots filled, even if you don't have memory in them.... those other sticks look like the CRIMMs that fill the slots... notice they have no memory chips on them.... the ones with the heatsinks are call rambus rimms.....

·
Registered
805 Posts
Weird stuff there.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamikaze127 View Post
You beat me. The other sticks are "dummy" sticks, kinda like switch cards for some PCIe motherboards.

Rambus was epic fail.

Out of the 100's of computers Ive worked on, I think Ive worked on 3 with Rambus. Biggest waste of time.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan
View Post

Out of the 100's of computers Ive worked on, I think Ive worked on 3 with Rambus. Biggest waste of time.

eh, we get plenty of old dell's with rambus in them at the shop I work at. Every now and then someone will want to upgrade the ram in one of those machines, until I tell them how much it would cost. I've had one person actually shell out the cash to upgrade his Rambus, I think he ended up paying like ~$100 for 512mb PC800/4 memory.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer
View Post

eh, we get plenty of old dell's with rambus in them at the shop I work at. Every now and then someone will want to upgrade the ram in one of those machines, until I tell them how much it would cost. I've had one person actually shell out the cash to upgrade his Rambus, I think he ended up paying like ~$100 for 512mb PC800/4 memory.

Yeah... my bro bought a dell with rambus back in the day.... good computer and fast..... at the time... he still uses it too.... but same thing, he wanted to add more memory and i told him... ah yeah... no

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked on ebay and these are only worth 12 bucks. The other 50 dollar stuff is higher quality.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Rambus was way faster then DDR, Rambus was 800mhz however the technology never took off because it was too pricy & it was patented and only a few had the rights to produce it, then DDR became the choice of RAM was way cheaper and speeds coaught on all do slower, back in 2000 Rambus was the Choice for performance, I build my rig with 512mb of Rambus it cost me over $300 just for the RAM.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
when people refer to CRIMMs what that C stands for is continuity. The way RDRAM (Rambus) worked was that it used all channels, therefore you had to have the CRIMMs in place if you didnt have enough RDRAM to fill all the slots.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts