Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so i got a i7 that is going to be runing on 4.0, already tested in my buddys system, so my question is do i really need 1600 ram or can i get away with 1333

is the speed really that much greater to justify the price?
i only really want to spend max of 160$

all input would be greatly appriciated?

if i have i7 do i have to get 3 sticks or can i get 2 and add one more later?
will that decrease the speed since it would not be tripple chanel?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Since the i7 uses the X58 architecture, you have to have 3 sticks if I am not mistaken. I would recommend 3x2GB sticks. 6GB of RAM is more than enough. 12GB is complete overkill.

I don't see why you couldn't use 1333mhz RAM. You could always overclock it to 1600mhz. Though getting the 1600mhz sticks, you would have more overclocking room.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The i7's gain more from the higher speeds rather then the tighter latencies, so if you can afford the 1600 then I would do that. As far as 2 sticks go, if you run 2 sticks you will be running dual channel, which is fine. Though if you wish to get a third and run in triple channel, you will have to make sure you get a single stick of the exact same kind of ram, which im sure is possible, but usually they are sold as two stick kits (dual channel) or triple stick kits (triple channel) but keep in mind there is nothing different between the two other then the operating mode, as well as the amount of sticks of RAM.

EDIT: The i7's IMC can handle dual and triple channel DDR3, so you're fine either way =) no drastic difference in performance between the two.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
You can run either triple, dual or single channel on the X58 platform.

I myself am currently planning my i7 build and was going to go for the Patriot Vipers (1600mhz) But then got warned that the first slot may be blocked by the megahelems fan if i choose RAM with tall heatsinks. So i have also been suggested the Corsair XMS3 Classics.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushMore1205
View Post

thanx guys, so does anyone know what is the best 6gb kit for under 160$?????

Have a look at this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-365-_-Product

Has got alot of great reviews and fits under your budget aswell.If running a X58 Motherboard to get best results use tripple channel.So 2 X 3GB is best

• Rep+
Reactions: RushMore1205

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pm1109
View Post

Have a look at this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-365-_-Product

Has got alot of great reviews and fits under your budget aswell.If running a X58 Motherboard to get best results use tripple channel.So 2 X 3GB is best

yeah i was just looking at that, but for some reason i never trust the newegg reviews, OCN is the only one o trust lol

but do u guys think OCZ is good ram, i was always a patriot or corsar guys.

but ocz got lot of my attention lately

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
i know overclock loved gskill... apparently they are really nice to overclock, but that was a while back... im using my corsair dominators... i really recommend going with triple channel. however you gotta be using the x58 right? cause i know they have the i7 860 running the p55 chip set which isn't triple channel, am i right?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fshizl
View Post

i know overclock loved gskill... apparently they are really nice to overclock, but that was a while back... im using my corsair dominators... i really recommend going with triple channel. however you gotta be using the x58 right? cause i know they have the i7 860 running the p55 chip set which isn't triple channel, am i right?

yeah no, i really dislike p55 boards, i dont now why.

but i have i7920 and a evga x58 3 sli board

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
i would get the 1333 3X2gb.
i got 1600 and the difference is undetectable.
i paid a lot for mine. and lets just say some of it would have been better of spent on other parts.

and yes p55 is a dual channel. and x58 is triple.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.