Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be able to get a good deal on 10K Atlas SAS drives. What kind of read/write could i expect in nonraid and RAID 0 - with raid 0 on a 6i?

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Reference this article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e,1239-24.html

If you have / can get a PERC6/i, save your money and just run standard SATA. Pointless going with SAS drives considering the extra hardware you have to get to run them.

Dell's 11th Gen PowerEdge Servers (T410/T610/T710) are selling primarily with hot-swap SATA drives. SAS configurations are rare, and the "speed" advantage isn't really there anymore. Companies needing "speed" are opting for iSCSI SANs with 16 / 32 spindles.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
How good is your 'good deal'?

I got 4 Savvios for pennies - literally. If that is the case for you they might be worth considering. But if the cost even approaches SATA drives then it is not worth it. If you do not yet have a SAS controller there is no point in paying for a PERC+SAS either - just buy an SSD for the same money.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_beast
View Post

How good is your 'good deal'?

I got 4 Savvios for pennies - literally. If that is the case for you they might be worth considering. But if the cost even approaches SATA drives then it is not worth it. If you do not yet have a SAS controller there is no point in paying for a PERC+SAS either - just buy an SSD for the same money.

approx 50 bucks a drive.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
i would say it ain't worth it - not for those ageing drives.

A few 1TB F3s short-stroked would be a better buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts