Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade the RAM on a Fujitsu Amilo Pro V2030 I have been given from a measly 256MB to 2GB. It takes DDR2-533. However, that type of RAM is quite expensive - could I install a faster speed of RAM such as DDR2-667 which costs less, or would the motherboard simply not support it? I was wondering if it would automatically underclock it to DDR2-533 speeds,which would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
796 Posts
You should be able to install faster RAM into the machine. It should then "underclock" the RAM and auto-adjust the memory timings. This is sometimes a hit-or-miss as some motherboards simply won't take faster RAM and/or higher density RAM other than what is listed as supported.

Ideally you'll want to get DDR2 533 RAM for your notebook instead of DDR2 667 or DDR2 800.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas
View Post

You should be able to install faster RAM into the machine. It should then "underclock" the RAM and auto-adjust the memory timings. This is sometimes a hit-or-miss as some motherboards simply won't take faster RAM and/or higher density RAM other than what is listed as supported.

Ideally you'll want to get DDR2 533 RAM for your notebook instead of DDR2 667 or DDR2 800.

Thanks - I'll probably try and get ddr2-533. +rep to you as well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts